Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Live Mike Marshall

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live Mike Marshall

I highly recommend signing up to work with Mike and take the lessons. Whatever level you're at he makes you comfortable, identifies realistic goals for improvement and pushes enough to move you forward.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought I caught a glimpse of "The Dawg" sipping red wine. Maybe that is the secret to "mando greatness"! That and thick, long white hair. I can identify with the wine and white hair. Just need to let mine grow out a bit!
    Grady F5 (#65)
    Harmony A Model ("The Scorcher")

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. I WILL learn to play this thing !(adapted from Coolidge)

Blog Entries

red wine is the secret to greatness in all things
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

4. The following members say thank you to jasona for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clements View Post
    I was wondering if any classical players have participated in the Academy and what their experience has been? ...
    Hi, Bill - I especially love classical, choro, and jazz. At least half of my study with Mike has been focused on classical pieces. I started taking lessons with him when he offered them via Skype, and although those were really excellent lessons, Skype just has that unidirectional limitation - not to mention the glitches and aborted sessions. But Mike has made a point of being very open to whatever anyone brings to the School of Mandolin to work on, and I've been totally delighted at how well this arrangement works. You know, if you've seen or heard him play works from the literature, that he not only has chops out the wazoo, but understands the music at a very deep level. This forum allows him to really take time to see where that depth can be brought to bear on the piece the student has submitted. His responses to classical submissions are extensive and intensive, covering multiple layers - fingering, techniques, phrasing, occasionally history and other context. He has brought Caterina Lichtenberg in for joint responses to some submissions - the two of them are a superb pairing of perspectives and ranges of experience. I think this is a fabulous (and cost-effective) way to study mandolin with a teacher whose combination of skill, insight, and curiosity is unmatched.
    *mandolin mind, beginner mind*

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amy Burcham For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Londy View Post
    As David pointed out, he was willing to do anything to find a mentor/teacher to help him become the player he is today. I think many of us forget that it takes years and years of HARD WORK to become a good musician.
    I loved Dave's idea of being a seeker. Being hungry for it. As Mike said, being a maniac for it.

For some reason, people think they can just pick up the mando and "poof" in a few weeks become a good player. After all, how hard can it be ....
    I am especially attuned to the frequent posting of experienced guitar players brand new to the mandolin, along the lines of "been playing guitar umpty ump years and just got a mandolin this week. Going into the recording studio next week and", or "performing with the band Wednesday with it, can you recommend...." I have thought the more sympathetic thing to do was to not respond.

In reality, I think we need to focus on what our musical goals are (realistically), what we want to achieve as a musician, determine how and what vehicle we need to get there. Lastly, since we are all busy people and probably work a full-time job, you need to ask yourself, what am i willing to give up to make this happen?
    While this would best be a separate thread, and a good one, relevant to this thread I think you are saying that Mike Marshall and technology have made access entirely a matter of our own discipline and commitment. We are not anymore limited by where we live or who we know, but only by our own commitment and abilities. We need to decide, because the path is clearly there for us. Its no longer "how do I get there", its "where do I want to go".

A different world indeed.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Its no longer "how do I get there", its "where do I want to go".
    For me, its also, "when do I start?"

As someone new to mandolin, I've really enjoyed the first "baby steps." The hours and hours of research in order to find my perfect entry-level mando. More time searching for chord charts and beginner's videos. Then there's scouring Mandolin Cafe for juicy bits of info every chance I get! Playing C, G & D over & over again. :-) You get the drift. * Just picking the darn thing up & loving the sounds I'm able to make! *

I have another life, though. I teach high school juniors & seniors & put in long days. Oh, yeah, I live an hour away from my school so there are 2 more hours I don't get back, 5 days a week. Everything else happens on the weekends which get pretty full, pretty quickly. I'm not complaining, I love my work, I love my life. I'm truly a lucky guy. ;-)

After watching Mike's Mashup video I'm convinced his Mandolin School is the way I want to go. I wonder if I should wait 'till we get closer to my summer break, though, before I get started. The question I come back to in my head is: "Do I have enough quality time right now to take advantage of the Mandolin School?" If not, are there specific things I *can* be doing to get ready to sign up, say, in May which is a month before my break?

BTW - It certainly is not the about money. His virtual lessons are inexpensive enough for almost anyone to afford. Its the time commitment I'm concerned about. I try not to do much half-a##ed, if you know what I mean.

Take care,

Frank

Blog Entries

Signed up. I am doing my sabbatical in Berkeley and thought of trying to set up a face to face lesson, because I have done a workshop with him before and dig his approach. But for what I would be willing to pay for an hour I get 3 months? In.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    ArtistWorks offered this option which should be easy enough:

E-mail customerservice@artistworks.com and name one of the Beatles tunes Mike played in the Mashup last night and they'll send out the 20% discount code.
    OK, I've watched the video twice now. And I see that Mike played a couple of ditties after the request for some Beatles. But I don't recognize the tunes. I'm not a Beatles fan!

I guess only Beatles fans are worthy of getting the discount codes?

It was great plus some of us got to see Scott for the first time. Great service by a great site. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    OK, I've watched the video twice now. And I see that Mike played a couple of ditties after the request for some Beatles. But I don't recognize the tunes. I'm not a Beatles fan!

I guess only Beatles fans are worthy of getting the discount codes?
    Oh my...does that mean you will have to wait until your 64?

Annette
    www.livingtreemusic.com

14. The following members say thank you to Annette Siegel for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
    Oh my...does that mean you will have to wait until your 64?
    I guess hints are allowed.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Great session with Mike and Dawg and others. Thanks for facilitating this, Scott! As always, the Cafe sets the pace for any music-related website.

And I took the plunge to sign up for Mike's mando school through Artist Works with the very nice discount offered. Here goes to becoming a better player!
    Eastman 315
    Epiphone MM-20
    Martin D-16H
    MIJ reissue 62 Strat
    Gregory Furan custom L-49

17. The following members say thank you to Kirk Albrecht for this post:

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

I just signed up with the discount code. The code is good through midnight tonight. Thanks to Scott for helping make this happen.
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Blog Entries

Oh, oh, oh...

More plans being discussed for future Mashups. You've been warned.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Nice!
    I signed up for Mike's lessons as a result of the Mashup. There's so much to watch and absorb, I'll be spending a lot of time in there. And thanks for discount, the code word was amusing.

Blog Entries

Just signed up for 6 months.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by John Eischen View Post
    Nice!
    I signed up for Mike's lessons as a result of the Mashup. There's so much to watch and absorb, I'll be spending a lot of time in there. And thanks for discount, the code word was amusing.
    Despite some technical issues, I got signed up too. The buzz surrounding this live mandolin mashup really got my attention. And I've been impressed so far by the content on the site.

Thanks, Scott, for making all of this happen. I think this collaboration is a wonderful thing, not only for Mike Marshall's school, but for this forum and all its members.

24. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post: