Thread: Rono electric mandolins on Ebay?

Default Rono electric mandolins on Ebay?

There's a seller on Ebay selling several Rono electric mandolins.
    I'm guessing they bought up all the unsold instruments.
    Are these quality e-mandos at decent prices?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RONO-5-S...ht_6235wt_1348

This baritone looks especially nice, but it's $3k...
    Not sure what the scale length is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RONO-5-S...ht_3243wt_1348

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rono electric mandolins on Ebay?

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Wow... That is an old thread.
    I'm wondering if these Ebay mandolins are NOS, or is the guy making mandolins now & selling them thru a pawnshop on Ebay?

Keep searching, I remember a comment in a thread on 5 String Electrics maybe not a Rono thread at all but the post said something about Rono setting up shop elsewhere and continuing to sell a limited number of Mandos through an e-bay account. I don't think Quality was ever an issue with Rono in fact it would seem most are extremely pleased with them. The problem as you most likely read in the BIG thread was getting one after you ordered it. I think I think...
    Never Argue with an Idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries

Cobra; The Mandolin Cafe has posted about this thread over on its Facebook page. That post will answer some of your questions:

"Someone on our forum spotted a seller in Denver that apparently has several of these. Highly desired by the electric crowd. Have never played one but hear good things about the instruments. The builder, unfortunately, has a checkered past but these are out of his hands with a seller with a good reputation."
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

No need to make a huge issue out of this. Rono definitely has a troubling history as a businessman but the quality and desirability of his instruments has never been in question, and the record of the seller is spotless. For the musician that's looking for a high grade electric this is a good solution to obtaining one.

EDIT: Ed, that's not directed at you--the "huge issue" comment. There's usually one or two clowns on the forum that try to accuse the site of supporting crime because some member posts a link to someone they don't like. Please...
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Dec-31-2011 at 11:33am.

Blog Entries

I should add that I have no personal experience with these instruments.
    They sure look impressive though...I'd love to get the chance to play one someday.
    Last edited by Ed Goist; Dec-31-2011 at 1:54pm. Reason: Had to add "no" to the 1st sentence...Pretty important omission, no?!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

I am not really into the current look of his emandolins .they look cheap , and if it is not a neck thru style then i think the neck should be bolted on .not bolted and glued . Its like he came up with an inexpensive model but kept the prices high . take a look at the almuse site . some really nice looking emandolins there In my not so humble opinion (IMNSHO).

My understanding is that these are recent builds. Rono uses a six-digit manufacture date as a serial number: you can see it stamped on the back of the headstock in the detail photos of these instruments. The redburst mandolin is stamped 040111, so it's less than a year old. Rono used to sell a "workingman's special" for $1500 or so, and these instruments are just a little splashier than that one was, but not quite as fancy as the ones that really distinguished him as a luthier. So the $1750 price for the redburst doesn't seem out of line, although Rono's much-discussed business troubles mean that his stuff doesn't sell as quickly as it used to. I've had several Ronos pass through my hands, including a recent one similar to what's available on eBay. That one had some inlay work that seemed a little sloppy, but it played just as well as any of his other instruments.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Martin, how do the Bill Lawrence PUPs perform on e-mandos? I've heard the Lawrence rail humbuckers on a Les Paul and they sounded incredible.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Verrrrrrrrrrrry nice. I'm currently in love with the Bartolinis on my Schwab e-tenor, but Lawrence pickups are a great choice for e-mandos too.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I have an old lawrence sound hole pickup i was using for my acoustic tenor . It sounds so Verrrrry awesome . just ordered a new one because the old one has a intermittent short at the pup/cable joint . not that expensive to purchase . it is only a 1/4 inch thick so one of these could be modified to be used as a stick on pup for an acoustic instrument that has F holes if one felt so inclined . bought mine from elderly so it going to be a month before i get it sigh !

Interesting that he used a more traditional mandolin type of tail piece rather than one you would see on an electric guitar.

I bought one of those workingman' specials last spring. Personally, I think it looks gorgeous. I have little to compare it to in terms of electric mandolins, but it blows the only mandobird I've ever played out of the water. A much fuller sound (I have two Bill Lawrence humbuckers in mine) and a neck that is quite easy to play. That being said, I'm likely going to sell it this year. Like many others who became enthralled with the idea of an emando, I found that after buying it, I rarely play it. If I'm in an electric jam, I take my electric guitar. Otherwise, I play bluegrass, and my Bretrup gives me all the acoustic mando I need. Right now it's a wonderful looking instrument worth over a grand that is gathering dust. It should be in the hands of someone who will play it more and I could use the money.

Before I sell my Rono, I do want to play around with different string combos a bit to see what it's like, and try it in a few more jam situations, but just an early heads up for anyone interested that I'll probably be selling it in a few months.

Also, FWIW, I bought from that eBay seller and everything was fine. Fast, safe shipping, god communication, and product as advertised. Like others have said, Rono's emandos seem to be universally praised, Rono the businessman seems to be universally panned.

These appear to be well made instruments and might well be worth the asking prices. And, it sounds like the vendor performs well. My hesitation toward buying one is the specter of having to deal with an historically non-communicative builder for warranty issues. Are these sold with any expressed warranty, I wonder?

Blog Entries

Taking an electric guitar to an electric jam instead of an emando is just abdicating your responsibility as an emando player to expand familiarity with the instrument! I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to turn in your badge and decoder ring to the nearest Mandolin Cafe outlet.

Personally, I'd sell my electric guitars before I'd sell any emandos. As they say, "It takes all kinds."

Daniel

Has to launder them, so the people he burned in the past don't put out a hit on him.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I thought Rono's were made Rona hardware