Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilynn mair book!

What a great way to start the new year! I just saw the announcement on the Cafe home page that Marilynn Mair's new book "The Complete Mandolinist" is out and available from Mel Bay. I ordered mine from Elderly Instruments minutes ago (at a lower shipping cost than from Mel Bay). Last July at Summerkeys, Marilynn taught from several pre-publication pages of this book, and I expect the completed book is going to be outstanding. I have been awaiting it eagerly, and anticipate that it will be valuable to anyone who wants to develop solid technique and play choro or classical music.
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

Can't wait to get mine.

me too - been waiting for this book for a long time. think i've made a grave error in choosing the normal postal rate however ... should be here with me in italy sometime in june - if that.

che serà ... grazie marilynn!

Just placed my order tonight...was thinking about waiting, but then I thought what better way to start the new year than learning how to break bad habits...

Is it a tab book?

Blog Entries

First of you to get a copy, please give us a review.

I love MM's playing so I have every expectation that the book is excellent.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Knowing the little I do of this artist, I would guess music notation only.

I guess a better question would be does it have a section (i.e. more than a few pages) on learning to read. Or does it just jump right into the notation? The book is directed at all levels of players, so I'll be interested in finding this out. I wonder if there is a table of contents floating around.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

I just love it when tab-only-readers shiver in their boots that they might have to learn to read standard notation. Oh the horror!

Really, learning to read standard notation is not that difficult. Six year-olds do it daily in their piano/violin/clarinet lessons. If a six year old can do it, why not adults?

Using my daughther's beginning violin book, I was able to teach myself to read basic standard notation in about a month. Further study after about three months and I was pretty comfortable with it.

So go ahead, jump in with both feet, the water is fine.
    Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

You'll become a better player by learning notation. It opens you up to more availability of tunes as there are 1000's of songs that aren't available in tab but are in notation. I wish that people that put out these books would also include a cd/dvd so we can hear and see how the songs are supposed to be played. At least for me I prefer hearing what's on the pages...

Quote Originally Posted by (chip @ Jan. 02 2008, 12:10)
    I wish that people that put out these books would also include a cd/dvd so we can hear and see how the songs are supposed to be played. At least for me I prefer hearing what's on the pages...
    On Mel Bay's info page, it says this is a "Format: Book/CD Set" - so I suppose it does include a CD?

Quote Originally Posted by
    If a six year old can do it, why not adults?
    Technically, I believe children have a higher capacity for learning than adults. At least that's what I keep telling myself...LOL.

With the New Year upon us, I'm really looking to focus on my playing. Last year the focus was on me. I ditched a bunch of weight, changed jobs and took care of some other stalled projects.

I'm thinking Marilynn's book may be the ticket for me. I tend to gravitate towards methods and frameworks, as opposed to tune oriented instruction. That's not to say I don't learn tunes, it's just a book full of tunes doesn't constitute an instructional method for me.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Thanks Jeff: I missed that information regarding the CD. I'm glad that's the case as it's helpful for me to hear the way a passage should be played.

Quote Originally Posted by (mando.player @ Jan. 02 2008, 11:20)
    Technically, I believe children have a higher capacity for learning than adults. #At least that's what I keep telling myself...LOL.
    Personally, I believe it has to more with attitude than capacity. Children are more open to new ideas and concepts than adults. Adults can be rigid and set in their ways.

The thought of learning something new, especially something like standard notation, seems like a step backwards. For me, it was a leap forward. Now, I can play (or attempt to play) #anything written in standard or tab. The possibilities are limitless. I don't have to worry if Mair's book is in tab, or any other music book. My only limitation is my capacity to set down and play it.

The title of the book is "The Complete Mandolinist." To be complete, standard notation should be in your musical arsenal/toolbox as a mandolinist.

Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

Blog Entries

No tab. Marilynn refuses to do tablature. Even her Mandolin Magazine columns don't go there. Let's not let this discussion degenerate into another lame tab haters vs. tab lovers free-for-all, please. There's room for everyone.

Interesting side note, I specifically asked her if Mel Bay requested tablature for this and she said the discussion never even came up. Seems <cough>, I heard another Mel Bay author that frequents this forum and rants anti-tab state they *insist* on it with anything mandolin. Interesting.

And for the record, I make wide use of standard, rarely tablature, but have no problem with it. It's everyone's personal choice. Some of you wish to engage in those pros and cons arguments and that's fine, but let's leave it out of this thread.

Scott, thanks for the update. I was wondering the same thing, if Mel Bay requested TAB or not.

I guess my only question now is how much time the method spends on teaching notation.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Blog Entries

Don't know. Marilynn said she's mailed a copy to me. I'd actually be surprised if there would be any. Debora Chen's book would be good for that.

Quote Originally Posted by (Scott Tichenor @ Jan. 02 2008, 11:45)
    Interesting side note, I specifically asked her if Mel Bay requested tablature for this and she said the discussion never even came up. Seems <cough>, I heard another Mel Bay author that frequents this forum and rants anti-tab state they *insist* on it with anything mandolin. Interesting.
    I haven't dealt with Mel Bay -- but I can tell you that when I did my book for Alfred, they insisted on tab for EVERY page. Including the chapter on note reading.

That little bit of intransigence basically ruined the usefulness of that chapter.

Ignoring the religious part of the tab/notation argument, from a publisher's position you can see where requiring both would be to their benefit - helping them sell books to both camps. There would definitely be a business rationale for that.

Quote Originally Posted by (Got8Strings @ Jan. 02 2008, 11:54)
    Ignoring the religious part of the tab/notation argument, from a publisher's position you can see where requiring both would be to their benefit - helping them sell books to both camps. #There would definitely be a business rationale for that.
    Frankly, no.

Not in the situation that I described (and a number of others that I can think of) This has nothing to do with the "religious question". It has to do with simple common sense.

just heard from elderly that they're already out of stock ... which means a three week wait for them - to get new copies - and who knows how long till the italian postal service does the right thing?

The rumor is true...I thought I made it in via e-mail yesterday, but those of you who called in beat me to the punch...They won't get more for awhile now...

I just off the phone with Mel Bay...The lady said there is over 700 in stock there...but the shipping is a bit more at around $7 in the 48...Looks like there is where I have to place my order

Quote Originally Posted by (JimD @ Jan. 02 2008, 12:06)
    Quote Originally Posted by (Got8Strings @ Jan. 02 2008, 11:54)
    Ignoring the religious part of the tab/notation argument, from a publisher's position you can see where requiring both would be to their benefit - helping them sell books to both camps. There would definitely be a business rationale for that.
    Frankly, no.

Not in the situation that I described (and a number of others that I can think of) This has nothing to do with the "religious question". It has to do with simple common sense.
    Obviously requiring tab for a "how to read notation" chapter or book is silly.

But surely you can understand the publisher's broad perspective. Publishing a book with only notation precludes sales to the tab-addicted/notation-averse. And a tab-only book would not appeal to the notation-only crowd. A publisher would want to publish a product that has the broadest commercial appeal.

That is simple business sense, though it may result in some goofy musical sense, as you pointed out.

Well, as usual, business sense flies in the face of pedagogical or artistic sense.

But, back to the original topic:

I am glad that Marilynn was able to have some control over her product and I wish her the best with it. I am certainly looking forward to seeing it.