Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sierra Hull IBMA

Default Re: Sierra Hull IBMA

Well, guess I'm wrong.I was going by what David Harvey told me at IBMA> Maybe he was thinking of SPBGMA

I doubt any IBMA winners are now more successful because of the award. It's just a good promotion for bluegrass music.
    Bob

I think that what you have to realize is that if every mandolin player bought a CD of a mando hotshot, it would pale when compared to if 5% of the record buying public bought an album. No matter how good, an instrumentalist has a very small market.

Take for example the success of Nat King Cole Trio vs. Nat King Cole famous recording singer, or Glen Campbell studio session ace vs. Glen Campbell mega star recording and TV personality.

So if you are a young twenty something who is already at the top of your limited market, and are ambitious, what can you do?

So what we have is more of a "popularity" contest rather than a true top mandolin player? No knock on Sierra but no way is she any better than the others mentioned, Sam, Ronnie, Wayne, etc. and so it goes......

Jeeeeessssse, you guys are a tough audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler3 View Post
    So what we have is more of a "popularity" contest rather than a true top mandolin player? No knock on Sierra but no way is she any better than the others mentioned, Sam, Ronnie, Wayne, etc. and so it goes......
    I started this thread(kinda wish I didnt as I feel like alot of folks have misunderstood what I was going for), and Ill be the 1st to say..Sierra is for sure as good as Sam,Ronnie, and etc. Now..I doubt Sierra could play exactly like Sam or any of the mentioned players because their styles are so far apart. But put aside Different styles and expiernece. she is incredibly talented.
    Https://www.reverbnation.com/chandlerbeavers/songs

"Never a teacher, always a student"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler3 View Post
    It's a member choice award. Nothing in the voting that addresses rules about words like "better," or some kind of talent rating system, etc. It's not an evaluation of who is best--that's an opinion and everyone gets one opinion vote. Wondering if we're the only ones that realize it's Sierra and a bunch of guys the same age as her father or grandfather.

8. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post:

I don't think that the main reason for the questions is Sierra's talent - that's obvious. It's whether she should have been nominated as a 'Bluegrass' musician when she's stepped outside the Bluegrass genre. AKUS long since stopped calling themselves a ''Bluegrass'' band,so would they be considered for a ''Bluegrass'' award because they still play Bluegrass orientated instruments ?.

I certainly don't think that it was a ''popularity'' vote either,simply awarding an accolade to a very talented young musician - but the 'Bluegrass factor' should have been addressed IMHO. If you don't play Bluegrass music any more,you shouldn't get an award as a Bluegrass musician - again,IMHO. An award for being an outstanding musician could have been given,& who would go against that ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I don't think that the main reason for the questions is Sierra's talent - that's obvious. It's whether she should have been nominated as a 'Bluegrass' musician when she's stepped outside the Bluegrass genre. AKUS long since stopped calling themselves a ''Bluegrass'' band,so would they be considered for a ''Bluegrass'' award because they still play Bluegrass orientated instruments ?.

I certainly don't think that it was a ''popularity'' vote either,simply awarding an accolade to a very talented young musician - but the 'Bluegrass factor' should have been addressed IMHO. If you don't play Bluegrass music any more,you shouldn't get an award as a Bluegrass musician - again,IMHO. An award for being an outstanding musician could have been given,& who would go against that ?,
    Ivan
    Very good post Ivan. I agree 100%. I am a big fan of Miss Hull but what she is currently doing is not what I consider Bluegrass. That would be akin to Rod Stewart winning best Rock Vocalist when he was recording and performing big band and Gershwin numbers.
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rex Hart For This Useful Post:

So what is the "Definitive" definition of "Bluegrass" ?? I know can of worms….
    Is it instrumentation? And does that have to conform to only the instrumentation used by Monroe in his original band.
    Is it a song catalog of certain tunes with no exceptions?
    Does the musician have to play only the prescribed catalog of tunes in exactly the original style with out exceptions or excursions….ever?
    I'm not trying to be snarky…but I am honestly confused.

Next, What is Jazz.

From michaelcj - "So what is the "Definitive" definition of "Bluegrass" ??". That's been gone over many times. If you do a search,you'll probably find the previous threads. IMHO - the 'sound of Bluegrass' can be epitomised by the sound of Bill Monroe's band & that of Flatt & Scruggs' band ( & many others). That's very generalistic of course,but if you listen to those 2 bands,& then listen to what Miss Hull's music sounds like - there isn't much similarity in 'style' (again IMHO).

Sierra's music could be described as an ''acoustic music offshoot'' of Bluegrass,in a similar way to the way ''modern Jazz'' was an 'offshoot'' of Trad.,Dixieland Jazz. Myabe not 'totally accurate,but you'll get my drift,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    It's a member choice award. Nothing in the voting that addresses rules about words like "better," or some kind of talent rating system, etc. It's not an evaluation of who is best--that's an opinion and everyone gets one opinion vote. Wondering if we're the only ones that realize it's Sierra and a bunch of guys the same age as her father or grandfather.
    Begging the question I guess why guys like Jacob Jolliff are not nominated too? He is just as young, just as "bluegrass" and just as talented -- IMO.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Begging the question I guess why guys like Jacob Jolliff are not nominated too? He is just as young, just as "bluegrass" and just as talented -- IMO.
    Man he sure plays alot of notes that jolliff. Watching him is fun
    Https://www.reverbnation.com/chandlerbeavers/songs

"Never a teacher, always a student"

It 'might' be a sheer coincidence,but as Sierra Hull just released her latest CD,could that have had something to do with the decision ?. Having a new recording out does thrust one into the forefront of folk's minds. I have many favourite mandolin players who have very likley never ever been considered for an IBMA award,& maybe never will - they're still incredible players,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Sierra Hull's performance at this years IBMA........

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings