Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Oates Lack of Customer Service

Haven't been here in a while but I want to report that my son, (Langston), received his mandolin from Ron Oates just last week. He ordered it in January 2003. He has reported to me and to the DA in Boulder that the mandolin is not the way Ron promised it. That is to say Ron hurried with finishing the piece and there are problems with the pickups and the finish. Nonetheless, it was the DA who got this thing to it's conclusion, so far. To all of you still out there waiting on an instrument from Ron O: hang in there, get in touch with the Boulder DA's office and keep pushing for a resolution. It can happen! Good luck!

Oldmanknipes

Ron would probably enjoy some time-out at that infamous "undisclosed location".
    Wye Knot

I'm also working through the DA's Office. My order was placed in March 2003. I'm glad to hear that another mando was produced, albeit with birth defects. What is the extent of the deficiencies? Are they Bill Lawrence pickups? What is wrong with the finish? Did you order bindings? Did you order an inlay? Were these OK or are there problems?

Frank

Hey everyone!
    Well, I posted on this site a few times, and I finally received my 5 string e-mando from Rono about 2 weeks ago. I ordered it January 2003. Throughout this long and arduous process, I remained relatively polite and understanding with Ron, despite multiple promises months and months ago that it would "be there in a week". I don't know if the DA's office is a good way to go. I had considered taking that route, but realized that Ron was not ripping anybody off. Everyone who had paid had either gotten their instrument, or was waiting for it. No one was convinced they had been conned. I came to the conclusion that he was honestly back-logged with orders, was a terrible customer service guy, and was probably not working on them with the diligence he should have been. I was worried that if I went the DA way, this might cause him to turn out a poorly made instrument. After all, the quality of the instrument he makes is totally up to him. I had already been waiting for a year and a half, so I decided to hang in there and keep it cool. From the sound of what happened to Old Man Knipes, my strategy may have been the best one to follow, except the optimal route, which is to ask Ron for the second payment cash on delivery of the instrument. Unfortunately I had already send all my money to Ron before I thought of doing that. After playing it for a week now, I can honestly say this instrument is INCREDIBLE. The tone is amazing, pickups are a great range of warm and mellow to bright and piercing depending on pickup selection. The mando's sustain is also ridiculous! Craftsmanship is perfect, no flaws, everything is as it should be or better. I had a custom inlay done -- a phoenix design. I dont know how he did it, but the design is exactly what I sent, and it looks beautiful.
    Wow, this is a long post, but I figure there are still some people out there who are interested. I am pleased that the whole saga has finally come to a close, without having to involve the law. I am extremely pleased with the instrument, however, I can say that if I had known it would take one and a half years, I would have definitely ordered from a different luthier. To those who are still waiting -- have patience. Ron will come through, without a doubt. He is not scamming anyone. Take my advice, you have already been waiting so long, it is better to wait another month or even two, than to get him angry and force him to produce a "defective" mandolin by going through the DA. Feel free to contact me with any questions about my experiences with Rono. cab@gwu.edu
    As Rono would say, "keep on pickin'!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phoenixmando.JPG 
Views:	383 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	5070  

Dude. It wasn't a year and a half for you. It was 21 months. Do you know why you finally got your mando? Cause other folks are making it an issue that Ron can no longer ignore. I'm happy you got your mando, as I will when I get mine, ordered in March 2003. But don't delude yourself or others that this was a good or acceptable commercial experience. My patience now is with the DA's office. I ran out of patience with Ron months ago.

Frank

I definitely don't think it was a good commercial experience, but then again, its not some kind of usual purchasing deal like going to Wal-Mart to buy a new TV. Of course he is running his business very very poorly. If he was making mandolins based on who was filing with the DA, you certainly would have gotten yours before I got mine.

The advice I posted last to other Ron customers about waiting instead of going through the DA was because I was successful (granted after 21 months as you say), without doing that. And with such an expensive investment in an instrument whose quality is completely dependent on Ron's care and diligence, I would try and keep from pissing Ron off. Yes, i was pissed and frustrated and angry, but never really thought he wasn't going to deliver in the end.

He didn't deliver my instrument because of the stink everyone has been making with the DA, cause if that was the case, why would he have delivered mine? Besides, he has made and delivered many many instruments to people who never took it to the DA.
    I'm sure you will get your awesome homer! (great idea by the way!!) I am sure we can both agree we won't make the mistake of buying again from Ron..... :-)

best of luck!
    chris

Nawman! I tried to be mellow and not piss Ron off. It's been 21 months for me, since 2003. I had the same idea as you prior to about the 6th time I was lied to by Ron. If it takes 21 months or 22 months, he should just say so. I'd still be waiting patiently. It's the delays, and the lies, and the frustration generated by both of these that generate this reaction. The only reason he is responding now is that folks got sick of it and started lighting a fire underneath him through the Boulder DA's Office. I'm absolutely not buying into any posts which attempt to characterize Ron as a well-meaning luthier who should be granted a wide berth. My view is that my mando ought to be the most excellent custom job there ever was, based on the outrageous amount of time, delays and lies that I've had to endure. If that is the case, then maybe I'LL post a review here saying it was worth it too. But until that time, I've gotta wish all the rest of the defrauded customers the best of luck.

Frank

frankseanez, as last sucessful contact
    do you have a physical address that I can mail a signed for letter to,? My address is different , 3 years having lapsed, and I never get a reply to an email since my deposit check was cashed. address notification from my end may help.
    > >

PM would do in this case.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

HA HA HA YOU SUCKERS!
    No, I'm just trying to laugh on the outside because I'm crying on the inside. #*Sigh*. #Me too. #No returned phone calls, no returned emails, past promised date, etc. #I've only sent him half the dough, so I guess I may hear back from him someday. #I am SOOOO glad I found this thread. #I mean, What am I supposed to think? #I don't know if the guy's alive or dead, much less if he's actually working on my mandolin. #I seriously was thinking of heading to Boulder to try to find the guy. #So I'm glad that he treats everyone like poop, not just me, and I would like to send my heartfelt condolences out to my fellow sufferers. #And the address I last had was a PO Box, but I do have a number that I talked to Ron on in the recent past (maybe 2 1/2 months ago). #However, it has a computer voicemail greeting and picks up on the 2nd ring, so you're not likely to do anything but leave a message, which hasn't done me a whole heck of a lot of good. At the moment I'm feeling rather restrained, but I really wish I had found this thread before I ordered my axe from the guy. #I have no problem paying for and waiting for quality, but part of me feels like every time I pick up my mando (if it comes), I will feel acid reflux thinking about my ordeal with the guy. #I feel bad for anyone who is waiting for an instrument from him who hasn't found this thread. #Man. #I, too, will post here if I hear anything from Ron. #I'm an acoustic guy now, but playing jazz, and I may need to go get a Mandobird in the meantime. #If only I knew what the meantime was...

Sorry for taking so long, Mandroid. The last known address:

Ron Oates
    Rono Instruments
    4500 19th Street, Lot #411
    Boulder, Colorado 80304

But this information is old. Unless you are worried about making Ron mad, I suggest that you contact the Boulder DA's office.

Frank Seanez

News Flash! an Update: use flame supressor, boys, actually had Mr. Oates call me , tonight.
    So,yes, I have been missing a couple years of communication while in the queue.
    Quite found wanting for any reasuring feedback, and allowing plenty of time to exercise my worry muscle, [with some influence from my vast, cavernous, self doubt reserves.] (Apply cathedral reverb setting) perhaps things for the Bari are reaching concusion.
    says he's sorting thru 7 remaining items of special orders.
    Stated his plan thereafter, shift to premade, stock inventory of as is product.
    ... the bird is still in the shrubbery, in the meanwhile...
    > >
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Interesting "thereafter plan"; an earlier post reported Ron was leaving the mando-building world once these obligations were completed. He told me the "Workingman's Special" was going to be the standard item for him too. The problem with "stock" is you need to build stock before receiving a penny in return.
    Wye Knot

What made all of ya'll chose Ron Oates to make your electric mandolin? Is it because Michael Kang of string cheese plays one? Just curious. I wouldve gone with something like a Glaser.

I never heard heard of a Glaser and can't find anything about it on Google. Please do tell.
    Wye Knot

Ricky Skaggs and Casey Driessen have both played Glasers. Photos at emando.com.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I played Casey's Glaser and it is a really great axe!
    John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando

The baritone 18" 5 string of Kang was my spark, conversation was 2 way before cash in hand, design was a jazzy style.
    the turkey is still in the corn.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Yep, Kekule! As a longtime Cheeser, my interest in a Rono was ignited by hearing hours and hours of Michael Kang's shredding his Rono Dragon. But I relied on Rono's factual representations relative to the mando he would build for me in paying out the cash for a custom Rono 5 string. If I would have known how incredibly unreliable and untruthful he was, I would've double bagged it.

Frank

Waiting for Rondot as revised from the original Beckett, Estragon says to Vladimir....
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I want to party with Mandroid.

I'll just feel Lucky when I finally get .... a CARROT!

Why don't you look into Old Town mandolins? They're built by Doug O'Dell who builds e- mandos and also builds really good F5s and guitars- I am soon taking delivery on the 3rd F5 I have had him build for me. He is in Lakewood Ohio near Cleveland. Here's a link to his website. NFI
    http://www.oldtown-mandolins.com/
    A wrong note played timidly is a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority is an interpretation.

Oldtown wouldn't build off the deposit in RonnO's bank account,though, will he?

Usefull advise for the ones yet to cough up the deposit, though, If they want an 8 string..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Hey now! Yesterday, I finally got delivery of my Rono. I haven't gotten a chance to take it out and look it over real well, so later on that. Thank you, Claire Hunter!!!