Thread: Big Muddy vs Martin (or other flattops)?

Default Big Muddy vs Martin (or other flattops)?

Decided I need a flattop now which kind to get.
    I'm liking that open guitar like sound.
    I realize there's a vintage vs new element here but was hoping for more of a merit of it's own discussion.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Big Muddy vs Martin (or other flattops)?

For the money I, personnaly, would strongly consider the Redline Traveler by Steve Smith. Dave Newton is no longer making pancakes but his Army Navies look good. For more money, I love my Spira cant topped (fold behind the bridge like the Martins) mandolin.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

i own two mandolins from mike dulak ("big muddy" nee "mid-missouri") one of which is un-played, waiting my return to the states. in terms of sound, i can't offer comparison as these are the only two i have ... but the bright treble, ample bass and projection of my m-6 mid-missouri is excellent.

a small, aesthetic consideration - purely a personal one - would be the elegance and simplicity of their tapered tuning platform and tear-drop shaped sound chamber. to me, flatbacks with wide tuning platforms and perfectly rounded sound chambers don't have the same graceful proportions or design.

my dos centavos worth - bill

Nice to hear from you Bill since it was your videos that got me interested in the Big Muddy.
    Jamie, I was curious about the Redline? Do they have that sort of broad tone? I'v'e yet to see one in person but I do remember playing on some of the Flatirons when they came out in the mid 90's and I don't think it was quite the tone I hear when I pick up a Martin?

My Tacoma M1 has a very guitar-like sound.

This guy (it's not me) has some clips of his.

Blog Entries

phlattgetit,
    Ken has some linked videos in that thread I linked too. I haven't played a Redline but based on his experience, I would consider them if I were in the market for a flat top. There are also the Gypsy Music flat tops to consider as well.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I have 3 flat tops...an Oliver Ditson/Martin canted back that is I believe is 30s-40s era, a Mid Mo M2, and a Parsons.

The Ditson/Martin has a lovely, round,clear tone but is very, very quiet. It also has a 13" scale length which you may not like. Spruce top and mahogany back and sides.

The Mid Mo has good volume and playability but a bit of what I'd call a broad, "throaty" sound. Very well made and customer service second to none. A very good value new and a great value used. Spruce and maple.

The Parsons has a surprisingly focused sound with a lot of volume and clarity, has big fret wire and a flat 1 3/16" board. It sounds great but I've had a lot of issues with it (Split soundboard, wooden tailpiece section holding string tabs basically dissolved, bent bridge posts) If it didn't sound so good, i'd have filled it with dirt and planted a tulip bulb in the soundhole or something. I like it but I wouldn't buy another.

I briefly had a Flatiron 1N that was the first mandolin I bought. I thought it just needed a set up, but it had some top sinkage and everyone I took it too talked me out of trying to fix it due to the cost/value equation. I wish I'd fixed it anyway. It was a remarkable sounding mandolin.

A friend of mine has a Trinity College flat top that's okay but I think there are better things to be had. I've played a couple of Gypsys and think they're very well made, but I didn't like the tone at all. Loud, but fat and diffused to my ears. A lot of people like them very much.

To your basic question, the Martin is long on charm but short on volume. If you're wanting something to play around the house with maybe 1 other musician, it a delightful thing to own.

The Mid Mo is a great value for a workhorse flat top. I'd rather have a healthy Bozeman Flatiron but it's hard to go wrong with a Mid Mo.
    Last edited by Steve L; Mar-06-2009 at 4:56pm. Reason: Spelling
    Steve

I have a few flat-tops: a Vintage Martin cant-top(sweet but not loud), a Vintage S.S. Stewart cant-top (louder than the Martin but not as sweet), a Gypsy Spirit (LOUD and melodious). Of the three I prefer the wider neck of the Gypsy.

I have spent time with gypsy,traveler and MM8. I would rank them as follows: gypsy( best tone, neck to wide for me), traveler( just fun to play, round body and big head not very graceful looking) and MidMo ( best all around, neck shape,string width, volume, looks good).

have fun

kirk

I have a Parsons flat-top. They are no longer made, but they can occasionally be found used. I really like it. It has a sweet tone, very even over the fretboard, but with very respectable volume.

Mid-mo/Big Muddy's are a great choice, though. I've played a lot of them and liked them all. FWIW, easily the loudest flat-top I've ever played was an Arches. It had great tone to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    My Tacoma M1 has a very guitar-like sound.

This guy (it's not me) has some clips of his.
    nice sounding instrument! ... eccentric sound hole placement - which only goes to show there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.

- bill* (wtf - i'm going to give myself another star ... ) - bill**

I've had a couple of Martin flat tops -- both pre-1920. I much prefer them to the Mid-Mo (which is a nice instrument in its own right). These early, rosewood-backed Martins have plennnnnty of volume. I've played more recent Martins but haven't compared them directly to an earlier one or to a Mid-Mo. I suspect that others' comments about their smaller voice are spot on.
    Bob DeVellis

I played All the redlines at Steve's booth at SPBGMA. They were AMAZING! For around 500 you can't beat them. I paid 950 for my personal mandolin and I would rather have a Redline. He is now offering sunburst(I believe) which looks really cool on his mandolins. They are very customizable which is cool and one of the only mandolins for that cheap that is. You can do any top or back you need. and he does all different widths of sidewoods.

I'm seeing the Redline mentioned a lot here and aesthetically speaking I think they are head and shoulders above Martins or Mid-Mo/Big Muddy. I'd rather look at Redline all day, and probably a better dollar value too.
    However the handful of videos I've seen it seems to my ear they don't have the open softer flattop sound of a Martin or Mid-Mo, the Redline to my ears is more aggressive (bluegrass suitable) or does my sound card deceive me?

Well, Steve does any wood you want on a Redline. I think that is the biggest thing. You can get rosewood sides and back. it just depends on what you want.

I've owned a Gypsy Vagabond, Mid-Mo (now Big Muddy) M-1, and Redline Traveller, and you can't go wrong with any of these three makers' instruments IMHO -- they each have their own strong points, but they are all great instruments, especially for the price.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

I suppose My Hodson Djangolin is a Flattop too , I quite like it. ... Laminated body, back and sides,
    inside mahogany , outside rosewood.

Unfortunate that David has Passed-On ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture