Thread: Can someone identify my grandfather's mandolin?

Default Can someone identify my grandfather's mandolin?

Greetings. I was curious if any of you fine folk out there could help me identify the make, model and roughly year of my grandfather's mandolin. I wouldn't imagine it to be too old... but it is at least 30 years old since he passed in the mid 80's. It has been passed around in the family and my aunt currently has it. This is the only pic of it... hopefully it is enough to get you guys close.

I have one of his fiddles that dates back to 1890-ish. I'm sure this mandolin is nowhere near that old... but I am curious. I'd like to find one similar to it so I can shadowbox it with his fiddle in the living room. If anyone can help me with the make/model/year so I can hopefully find a similar one, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1175289_518426954893920_996233982_n.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	106392

Default Re: Can someone identify my grandfather's mandolin?

Ultra-cheap, most likely made in Korea in the '70s.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Yeah... price isn't a concern or what I'm looking for. $1,000 or $10 really makes no difference... I'm just hoping I can find out what it is and see if I can locate another one.

Bill Snyder

Thanks Bill. That does look very similar. Besides the slightly different scalloped tail-piece and a little different routing of the head on the neck... it is pretty darn close.

I may not be able to find the exact same mandolin as my grandfathers... but as long as I can get one pretty close. I'll hold out and see if I can find anything closer, but thanks for the link. I appreciate it.

Ask your aunt for it. Does she play it? Tell her it has little value except as a playing instrument.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Ask your aunt for it. Does she play it? Tell her it has little value except as a playing instrument.
    Nah... I couldn't do that to her. It is actually right opposite, surely ALL the value is sentimental... and you can't put a price on that. It is a family heirloom. Just like the fiddle of his I got... it is over 120 years old and not worth much money wise (about $300-$500 in its current, unrestored condition). I'm more concerned with preservation than I am restoration... and even if it were worth thousands... you couldn't pry that thing from my hands! The sentimental value and all the memories of him sitting out on the porch playing or in church playing... worth way more than any dollar amount you could put on the instrument. I have no doubt she feels the same way about her mandolin. There is another fiddle and another mandolin of his floating around in our large family somewhere. I have no doubt that one of those mandolins could make their way into my home one of these years, but I'm not going to try and rush it.

I'm planning on shadowboxing the fiddle and bow along with a picture of him playing it and some aged sheet music of his favorite song. IF I can find a similar mandolin, I'd like to shadowbox it as well... and kind of use it as a placeholder until I can get my hands on one of his two mandolins (If I ever do). However, if I don't end up inheriting one of those two mandolins... I might look for an 1890-ish mandolin to put in there with the 1890-ish fiddle.

Your mandolin is one of these. It is circa 70's-80's and were brought in under dozens of brand names and obviously some with no names on them. If you were to sell it (and you won't) you would be doing a happy dance if you got $100.00 for it. They weren't stellar instruments.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Oh, I get it... shadowboxing... meaning sort of framing it and displaying it somewhere. Hah!! Your grandfather must have been an amazing musician or at least superbly loved by all.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Shadow box. Shadowboxing.

I was kind of rolling with it literally, too, Jim. Sounds like a lovely project.

Mick

BTW Here's a look-alike on Lansing CL:

Mando
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadow Box.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	106409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadowboxing.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	106410  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

We sold dozens of those in 1976-1977 when I was teaching mandolin at Pick N Grin in Knoxville. I think most of them were Hondo's and were around $100 at the time
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

From the thread I posted the link to above, a Hondo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hondo.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	106431  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber