Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melofonic Resanator Mandolin

Default Melofonic Resanator Mandolin

Never heard of them before today.
    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...880544417.html

Default Re: Melofonic Resanator Mandolin

I suspect nobody ever heard of the brand name Melofonic. Probably a name attached by the store selling it new. But from the photos I would be extremely skeptical about this one.. For instance when you examine the photos of the front there is no indication of a cone inside. Apparently some resonater mandos were put out without actual cones and the innards which make a resonater function as such. They were kind of "pretend" resonater mandolins. I would want to see better photos... to make sure there actually is a cone inside. The owner doesn't seem to know much about it from her description.
    Last edited by bmac; Jul-01-2013 at 9:11am. Reason: speling and content change
    Bart McNeil

bmac's apparently hit the nail on the head. Melofonic instruments were apparently "cheapos" made by Valco, and could well be "faux" resonators, with a piece of reflective foil attached to the wooden (presumably plywood) top, and a resonator cover plate affixed above it. Look through the holes in the cover plate, you see a shiny surface, but there's no real resonator -- just a cheap wooden body.

I'm offering this response based on a quick Google search on "Melofonic," which yielded this picture of a Melofonic "resonator" guitar with the cover plate removed.

There were several companies making faux resonator instruments, motivated by the popularity of Dobros and Nationals. This also looks like a mandolin that recently sold on eBay for $369, so if the seller's "flipping" it she's aiming for a hefty mark-up.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I am going to speculate and guess that roughly $100 - $200 would be a generous valuation for this instrument... One can get a decent low end resonater mando for less than $400, if I recall what I paid.
    Bart McNeil

overpriced junque?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I think if it looks old and is attractively priced, someone will buy it on eBay. It helps recycle junque, so what the heck?

7. The following members say thank you to vegas for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    I think if it looks old and is attractively priced, someone will buy it on eBay. It helps recycle junque, so what the heck?
    I guess the "what the heck," is calling it a "resonator mandolin" when it has no resonator, just a coverplate stuck on a wooden top. If in fact that's the case, which I suspect it is.

And at $800 it's in the range of what an authentic Dobro or Regal vintage resonator mandolin would cost. But you're getting a plywood box with a big piece of metal screwed to it, effectively making it sound worse rather than better.

These cheapo faux resonator instruments were really designed to fool people. That they're still doing it 75 years later, is because some people are no more informed and/or scrupulous, than the shysters who made 'em in the first place.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I guess the "what the heck," is calling it a "resonator mandolin" when it has no resonator, just a coverplate stuck on a wooden top. If in fact that's the case, which I suspect it is.

And at $800 it's in the range of what an authentic Dobro or Regal vintage resonator mandolin would cost. But you're getting a plywood box with a big piece of metal screwed to it, effectively making it sound worse rather than better.

These cheapo faux resonator instruments were really designed to fool people. That they're still doing it 75 years later, is because some people are no more informed and/or scrupulous, than the shysters who made 'em in the first place.
    I guess I have difficulty feeling somebody has been misled with something this obviously NOT being a resonator that a little research would have revealed. There are so many resources here that would have educated someone to the point of not being fooled by this listing with a little effort before shopping, and like the OP, posting a question here got instant responses before anybody made a purchase.

Before I spent any money on a mandolin, I did some research and all good mandolin research eventually leads the The Mandolin Café. I never had to start a "what's the best starter mandolin?" thread because there was already a wealth of information here answering that question if you did some digging. If somebody buys this POS because they didn't research a little first, I'm not feeling sorry for them. Sorry if that seems callous, but we live in an age where information is available with just a little typing at the keyboard. I'm old enough to remember having to go to the library to learn about something new and even that was hit or miss.

11. The following members say thank you to vegas for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    I guess I have difficulty feeling somebody has been misled with something this obviously NOT being a resonator that a little research would have revealed. There are so many resources here that would have educated someone to the point of not being fooled by this listing with a little effort before shopping, and like the OP, posting a question here got instant responses before anybody made a purchase…If somebody buys this POS because they didn't research a little first, I'm not feeling sorry for them...
    Not feeling "sorry for them" either -- just a bit angry at the sellers who either are ignorant about what constitutes a "resonator mandolin," or are deliberately misrepresenting the Melofonic.

Blaming the victim of misrepresentation, because he/she didn't take more precautions, doesn't seem fair to me. The instrument doesn't "obviously" lack a resonator; it looks like a Dobro or Regal, and that's really the whole point of these faux resonator instruments. They have cover plates that cover only a silver-painted portion of the plywood top. If you're not careful, you look through the cover plate holes, you see what resembles a metal resonator cone underneath, and shazam! you're out $800.

Yeah, we should all be more careful, and exercise due diligence before we buy something. You're obviously setting a good example by doing so. But that doesn't excuse the people who are purveying mis-labeled instruments. You've posted on this other current thread about a Chinese company making and selling totally counterfeit "Martins" and "Rigels." The fact that buyers of these disgusting knock-offs aren't being as careful as they should, doesn't excuse the sellers from being scummy.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

13. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Not feeling "sorry for them" either -- just a bit angry at the sellers who either are ignorant about what constitutes a "resonator mandolin," or are deliberately misrepresenting the Melofonic.

Blaming the victim of misrepresentation, because he/she didn't take more precautions, doesn't seem fair to me. The instrument doesn't "obviously" lack a resonator; it looks like a Dobro or Regal, and that's really the whole point of these faux resonator instruments. They have cover plates that cover only a silver-painted portion of the plywood top. If you're not careful, you look through the cover plate holes, you see what resembles a metal resonator cone underneath, and shazam! you're out $800.

Yeah, we should all be more careful, and exercise due diligence before we buy something. You're obviously setting a good example by doing so. But that doesn't excuse the people who are purveying mis-labeled instruments. You've posted on this other current thread about a Chinese company making and selling totally counterfeit "Martins" and "Rigels." The fact that buyers of these disgusting knock-offs aren't being as careful as they should, doesn't excuse the sellers from being scummy.
    Fair enough. My feeling is this "resonator" might be offered by somebody equally clueless about what they are selling and there is no intent to defraud. I've run into this sort of thing quite often with people who are selling "antiquities" of one sort or another. Somebody informs them they have a priceless treasure or they simply assume so because of something they saw on Antiques Road Show and in completely innocent ignorance offer it as something an experienced person would see it was not. Someone equally ignorant would then purchase it relying on the seller's representation. I guess that's why I emphasize doing some research on these types of things, especially when the Internet makes it so easy to get the information quickly. I remember schlepping to the library and getting old issues of Consumer Reports "back in the day" before I bought something substantial and in the area of "antiquities" there wasn't a lot of material available. You pretty much had to learn from experts.

You are right about "blaming the victim," but I see an awful lot of these unfortunate transactions because somebody didn't take the time to learn about what they were buying before they handed over their money to somebody equally clueless about what they were selling. In an age of easily obtained information, it is hard for me to feel completely sympathetic for somebody who didn't take the time to learn about what they were willing to spend money on before they handed it over. I guess I see it as being lazy in many cases.

The company offering the unauthorized copies of guitars is an entirely different matter. They are making copies, without authorization, of respected and sought after musical instruments. These things then fall into the hands of unscrupulous people who sell them as the real thing at huge profits. Somebody wanting one of these instruments could easily be misled into believing they are buying the real deal because it looks exactly like what they want in every detail. In that case the intent to defraud is obvious.

This is not at all unusual on eBay or Craigs List... Someone selling "Uncle Huberts instrument". Assuming that Uncle Hubert knew what he was doing and knew what he had... Or buying stuff on eBay without having the slightest idea what they are buying except that it seems cheap. This time the seller made a big mistake and perhaps an expensive one because someone is really going to be disappointed when they receive what was purported to be a resonater mandolin but turns out to be a close to junk fake.

Of course that is the problem with ebay.... There are no guarentees that the seller knows what he has and certainly no guarentees that he can describe it. But that is also the beauty of eBay and Craigs List... If you know more than the seller about what he is selling you may be able to spot a diamond in the rough. My own experience with eBay has been almost all positive. But I approach it with a cynical eye always assuming the item is not quite as wonderful as it is being described. And If possible I always look up what a dealer is selling a similar item for and bid accordingly... Maybe 2/3 of what the dealer is selling a similar insrument for.
    Bart McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    ...someone is really going to be disappointed when they receive what was purported to be a resonater mandolin but turns out to be a close to junk fake...If you know more than the seller about what he is selling you may be able to spot a diamond in the rough. My own experience with eBay has been almost all positive. But I approach it with a cynical eye always assuming the item is not quite as wonderful as it is being described. And If possible I always look up what a dealer is selling a similar item for and bid accordingly... Maybe 2/3 of what the dealer is selling a similar insrument for.
    Concur; I've gotten some good deals on eBay, such as a Howe-Orme mandolinetto for less than $200. I knew the instrument would need a bunch of work, but even after the neck re-set, I paid a lot less than a dealer would have charged for an H-O in the condition it is now.

The Melofonic's a bit more problematical. It's a nearly unknown brand -- cheapos made by Valco for catalog or department store sales, apparently -- and nobody's going to know much about it. If you know what to look for, you can determine that it's not a real resonator instrument, but that kind of knowledge isn't widely distributed. The resemblance between this CraigsList instrument, and the one sold a bit earlier on eBay, lead me to speculate that someone purchased the mandolin off eBay for $369, and is trying to "flip" it for $800 (which is what one might legitimately pay for a Dobro or Regal of the same vintage -- with a real resonator).

Does this person know it's a faux resonator? Dunno; not about to contact her and ask. Just know enough not to be in the market for the Melofonic.

But to back up vegas's opinion: didn't take me long to Google "Melofonic" and find several links to discussions of guitars with that label, including the one I linked showing one with the cover plate off and the "non-resonator" exposed. Anyone considering buying the mandolin off CraigsList, would be silly not to do the same. Doesn't, however, excuse the seller for either ignorant or intentional mis-listing.

By the way, the CraigsList posting has "expired."
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Here's a real one (Stella) which sold June 30 for $153.50. Wish I had seen it. This one looks like a reasonable fixer-upper. Poorly described but worth the risk, in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1930...04%26rk%3D4%26
    Last edited by bmac; Jul-04-2013 at 6:41am. Reason: corrected info
    Bart McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Here's a real one (Stella) which sold June 30 for $153.50. Wish I had seen it. This one looks like a reasonable fixer-upper. Poorly described but worth the risk, in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1930...04%26rk%3D4%26
    Careful with those- there was a period where a lot of very cheap/poor flattops were made with just a coverplate attached to the top- meaning not a real resophonic instrument, no cone.
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

One point I don't think anyone mentioned above:

The instrument brand name is "Melofonic". It sounds like "Resophonic" and looks like a resophonic instrument but from what we know, the term "resophonic" is not used on the instrument itself.. So technically the manufacturer is off the hook.... No deception there... The ebay seller though calls it a "resophonic mandolin" which make it a fraudulent advertisement....

Hope nobody bought it.
    Bart McNeil

Dan B's comment is correct of course.... Caution is the motto of the day, when shopping.

But in checking the the instruments used in the 1930s and '40s the Stella resonater mandolin was apparently a common resonater instrument used by blues mandolin players and others. I am guessing that they would have wanted the genuine article and the maker (in this case Stella) would not want the company's reputation sullied by selling a fake resonater mandolin under the name "Stella"..
    Bart McNeil

Bart, dollars to doughnuts there's no resonator under the cover plate on that Stella. Here's another very similar one on eBay; the description says there's no real resonator.

The "Stella" brand got passed from Oscar Schmidt to Harmony in the 1930's. Wouldn't be surprised if some of these faux resonator mandolins got labeled "Stella" during this period. There have been other ones labeled Bluebird, Encore etc. Perhaps Valco was making all of them, though Valco's roots are in the National Dobro Co. and they were certainly capable of producing real resonator guitars; I believe they were responsible for the "Res-O-Glas" fiberglas resonator guitars of the 1950's.

Whenever I see one of these with the cover plate that covers nearly the whole top, and the two little comma-shaped soundholes way up on the shoulders, I get suspicious.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Been Googling around a bit more on this subject, and getting more confused. The first info I found was that Melofonic instruments were made by Valco, but as I continued this seemed a bit odd: (1) Valco wasn't founded until 1942 or so, by some of the owners of the National Dobro Co. -- the company that was formed when National and Dobro merged in the late '30's -- and the Melofonic resonator instruments I see on-line look 1930's to me; (2) the founders of Valco, which went on to build National and Supro guitars and amps into the 1960's, were experienced builders of resonator instruments -- so why would they put out "fake" resonator guitars and mandolins?

Clearly Melofonic was a brand Valco used later for inexpensive electric instruments, but they may just have taken over the Chicago-based label from another company, such as Regal, Kay or Harmony.

One Melofonic owner took his guitar to George Gruhn at a trade show, and Gruhn guessed Regal-built. The "Stella" name on the eBay resonator mandolin says "Harmony," who had rights to that name from the mid-'30's. The three-part f-holes on Melofonic guitars also look Harmony-esque. Similar faux resonator instruments have been mentioned, labeled "Bluebird," and Bluebird was a Harmony label. I vote Harmony.

Are there "real" resonator instruments labeled "Melofonic"? All the ones I've seen pictured or described -- when there's any details provided -- say that they're inexpensive plywood instruments with cover plates attached to their tops, but no resonator assembly underneath.

Perhaps more thought/effort devoted to this than it deserved, but I found it interesting; YMMV.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Theres's a Melofonic on this Guitar Center list for $149.

A more reasonable price for a semi-interesting artifact of faux resonator construction. NFI for me.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

yes. Certainly a more reasonable price but I am suspicious of any seller of instruments, used or new, who does not reveal that it is a resonater in appearance but not in fact.

A first time buyer is going to get something he thinks is a resonater mando and will end up with a fake... Doesn't say much for the Guitar Center in my opinion.
    Last edited by bmac; Jul-14-2013 at 7:46am.
    Bart McNeil

25. The following members say thank you to bmac for this post:

Registered User Richard Singleton's Avatar

Richard Singleton

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Singleton View Post
    It went for $100. A good deal with any vintage mando. Who knows if the buyer knew it was only a faux-resonator or not. They probably have some novelty value in themselves. Maybe it could be converted into an actual resonator? Cut a hole in the top and stick a cone under that plate.

If you know how a resonator mandolin is constructed and you study the photos at all you can see in this photo that this is not a real resonator. The problem is that not everyone knows enough about resonator construction to pick up on this and just because someone wants a resonator does not mean they have the knowledge of what parts should be there. This also applies to some of the sellers, but ignorance on the seller's part should not cost the purchaser.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	124384
    Bill Snyder

Faux resonators have been discussed on MC before. $100 is very fair, even for a faux resonator. If the seller was trying to get $800, that would be a ripoff, but he wasn't. It is a vintage instrument, in its own right. Very cool and interesting, IMHO. Nobody was saying it was a 30's National or anything like that. I should add that I am a fan of faux resonators and what most people miss is that they sound great. For some reason, almost defying logic and science, they actually sound very metallic and cool. Not as sophisticated as a National, but still nice. As far as deception goes, I'm sure when the mandolin was new it was made to tempt buyers wanting a real resonator for a good price--yes, that is deception. 70-80 years later, it is merely a vintage instrument and a cool one, at that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I should add that I am a fan of faux resonators and what most people miss is that they sound great. For some reason, almost defying logic and science, they actually sound very metallic and cool.
    Well it does have a big metal plate on top. Just not the cone underneath.