Thread: Emory Lester tune on Northfield Sessions video

Default Emory Lester tune on Northfield Sessions video

Could someone please identify the tune Emory Lester is playing in this video? I'm almost two years into this mandolin adventure and only now discovering Emory Lester?? Clearly there needs to be a second volume to the Mandolin for Dummies series: Incredible Mandolinists for Dummies that includes bios and discographies for every great mandolinist, properly indexed by musical genre. I can't believe I haven't heard of this incredible musician until now...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x691vHh2rdg

Default Re: Emory Lester tune on Northfield Sessions video

The tune is Home Sweet Home.

Emory is a wonderful mandolin player. Check out his albums with Mark Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzphil View Post
    The tune is Home Sweet Home.

Emory is a wonderful mandolin player. Check out his albums with Mark Johnson.
    Thanks so much for replying to my question, jazzphil! The forum here is so great.

Here's a little appearance Emory and Mark had on Letterman recently. Although he's not playing mandolin on this, he's no slouch on guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCS5uIaTFDg

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    Thanks so much for replying to my question, jazzphil! The forum here is so great.
    Emory and Mark's CD's are truly wonderful....but FYI Home Sweet Home is on one of Emory's solo CD's "Reminiscing Today"....its a great CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill Jones View Post
    Emory and Mark's CD's are truly wonderful....but FYI Home Sweet Home is on one of Emory's solo CD's "Reminiscing Today"....its a great CD.
    Thank you, Jill. I placed an order for that CD (and another one) from the website www.emorylester.com. I sent a PayPal payment but haven't received any communication from the seller yet. I sure hope that online store front is still active!

You can find a very good example of tab for the tune in the iconic "Bluegrass Mandolin" by Jack Tottle. I think it is the first tune in the crosspicking chapter.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    You can find a very good example of tab for the tune in the iconic "Bluegrass Mandolin" by Jack Tottle. I think it is the first tune in the crosspicking chapter.
    Hot dang - I own that book! Gotta go check it out!! Thank you!!!

I must admit I wasn't familiar with his playing, though I had certainly heard his name.

It wasn't quite what I expected. I love the way he gets that melody/chord thing going - especially way up the neck. Does he usually play an oval hole mandolin?
    David A. Gordon

Dagger - I've never seen him pictured with an oval hole though somone may correct me.
    I went through a period of buying everything I could by him. His stuff with Johnson gets more playtime nowadays as the more jazz influenced sound doesn't keep me as interested for any length of time. He is one of those players that it's hard to believe isn't a household name - the mandolin really is an obscure little sideroad when it comes to most people's idea of music.

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    Thank you, Jill. I placed an order for that CD (and another one) from the website www.emorylester.com. I sent a PayPal payment but haven't received any communication from the seller yet. I sure hope that online store front is still active!
    BTW - I got confirmation today that my order was received and will ship soon. The person handling orders was on vacation for a few days; Emory Lester fans can shop with confidence at his web site.