Thread: Swing Jam PDF

Default Swing Jam PDF

Hi Folks this is a collection of popular swing tunes that get called at jam session quite often. Matt Sircely and myself put this together for the Mandolin symposium that will take place next week.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...&thumb=1&stc=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swing Jam 2012.pdf  

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Don Julin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Swing Jam PDF

Thanks

For those of us who don't play this style as much as we would like to, it occasionally helps to have a road map. Sometimes it is just nice to see the progressions written down so we can look at them and go DUH that's one way that can go.

That is about most of my favorites. Thanks, Don (and Matt), for putting it all together.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Nice set.

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

If you are going to the Mandolin Symposium and planning to attend the Swing Jam but don't want to print out fifty pages of music or can't, I've printed out 11 extra sets of these songs, printed front and back, punched for a three hole binder, and I'll bring them with me to the first jam.

Wow Don, that is so great! I love swing tunes; just starting to get into swing, Gypsy jazz, etc. This is huge for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Wow Don, that is so great! I love swing tunes; just starting to get into swing, Gypsy jazz, etc. This is huge for me!
    Ditto for me. I was watching Don's videos today and this now available! Excellent.
    GerryHastie

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
    - Albert Schweitzer

Blog Entries

I downloaded it earlier but didn't really get a chance to look until now.
    These are excellent.
    Many thanks.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

This is very timely, we've just decided to add a few swing sets to our Contra Dances. Thanks very much Don.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

OMG this is great! I play a lot of these tunes using other materials (including Real books) but have never seen them so simply lined out. And it's a really good collection of "jam"-ready tunes. Of course we have to work out our own chord voicings, but that's half the fun!. Lots of good ideas for that from Don Stiernberg's Mandolin Magazine columns.

There is a collection including these tunes here also, for those looking for more. The link will open a 4.4Mb pdf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fakebook_django_2008.pdf  

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimdalf For This Useful Post:

The Django Fakebook was put together by Matt Sircely. Some of the tunes from my collection actually are from that book. The purpose of the recent 50 song version is for use at the swing jams each night at the Mandolin Symposium. The object was to come up with the most common swing tunes in the most common keys that could get called in a swing jam made up of string players. Matt led the swing jam for a few years and plays in a Django-style band in Seattle called Hot Club Sandwich. The Django fake book is more complete but there are some obscure Django tunes that really don't get played very often. It is important to keep in mind that both of these collections are free and nobody is making any profit from these. Some of the tunes are still technically under copyright for a few more years until they become public domain. The most important thing is that we keep this music alive!

This seems like a great resource. Unfortunately, all I seem to get from the link is the thumbnail of After You've Gone. Any help in getting the full PDF of the collection would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    This seems like a great resource. Unfortunately, all I seem to get from the link is the thumbnail of After You've Gone. Any help in getting the full PDF of the collection would be much appreciated.
    Try clicking on the text link that is above the box with the preview image.

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

Thanks MRT, but all I get is the one thumbnail. This happens both with my iPad and my MacBook. The Django book link works fine, but not the Swingjam.

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    Thanks MRT, but all I get is the one thumbnail. This happens both with my iPad and my MacBook. The Django book link works fine, but not the Swingjam.
    Whoops, I meant the other way around. Try clicking on the thumbnail in the box and it should download the PDF? I had trouble too.

Or try this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swing Jam 2012.pdf 
Views:	761 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	88583

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

19. The following members say thank you to Mark Robertson-Tessi for this post:

JCook 

Thanks MRT - your link worked.

I am SO happy I found this thread, linked from another...thank you, thank you, thank you

These are phenomenal references! It's amazing how many resources and learning tools to be found in this forum. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Thanks Don and all. This is new music to me and I cant wait to try some of this out.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

now to get my right hand to co-operate and play swing...after so many years of ITM it has trouble with swing....