Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Lafferty - Mandolin Store house brand

Default Re: The Lafferty - Mandolin Store house brand

Mr. mandoteacher was clearly incorrect about the practicality of making mandolins at The Lafferty's price point entirely in a USA workshop.

He was however entirely correct that by stooping to personal insults Mr. The Mandolin Store does himself a disservice, harming the perception of his own brand while detracting from his factual defense of his product.

I hope he goes back and edits his response in keeping with this forum's no-personal-attacks spirit and lets his factual defense of the product speak for itself.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

Brent,
    Unfortunately I think because too much time has passed there is no way the post can be altered by either individual. Perhaps a moderator could 'Amend' them under the right conditions.

I think the comment that sparked this was not one of disbelief but rather one of amazement. I also understand having launched a brand in the past that there is a great deal of blood and sweat equity invested in doing so not to mention money, and the subsequent sensitivity to what could be perceived as public rebuttal to the underpinnings of the brand.

Just was unfortunate that this happened but people are people and we all can say things that we would rather not have said.
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

3. The following members say thank you to Kip Carter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
    Mr. mandoteacher was clearly incorrect about the practicality of making mandolins at The Lafferty's price point entirely in a USA workshop.

He was however entirely correct that by stooping to personal insults Mr. The Mandolin Store does himself a disservice, harming the perception of his own brand while detracting from his factual defense of his product.

I hope he goes back and edits his response in keeping with this forum's no-personal-attacks spirit and lets his factual defense of the product speak for itself.
    Where was the personal attack? All I have read, thus far, is the questioning of someone's professional expertise to back a bold statement. I didn't read anything personal, from any of the participants, in any of the preceding statements.

One person commented that what was being advertised could not hold true. That was a direct question of one's professional abilities. The counterpoint was that one should be careful to make such a statement based on their public credentials.

Where I come from, if you put your professional posterior on the block you had better watch for the hatchet.

You may have found the language in the point/counterpoint as aggressive. That may be true, but I do not read any of it as personal.

Great debate so far, gentlemen. Carry on!

I don't think it has been a great debate at all nor would I wish to see it carry on in an inflammatory manner. I was rather hoping for the "debate" to settle into a discussion of the merits of the instruments in question, their pricing and their manner of origin. Like most topics, it can discussed politely or heatedly, depending entirely on how each of us chooses to behave.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

I don't think it has been a great debate at all nor would I wish to see it carry on in an inflammatory manner. I was rather hoping for the "debate" to settle into a discussion of the merits of the instruments in question, their pricing and their manner of origin. Like most topics, it can discussed politely or heatedly, depending entirely on how each of us chooses to behave.
    Amen Brent!
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

[snip] I was rather hoping for the "debate" to settle into a discussion of the merits of the instruments in question, their pricing and their manner of origin. Like most topics, it can discussed politely or heatedly, depending entirely on how each of us chooses to behave.
    A second amen from the congregation, Brent, and I'll add an assisting transition: did anyone on the board take possession of the wide nut Lafferty F in walnut stain finish? If so, I would very much like a review of how nut and neck feel in comparison to, say, a typical Weber neck. I'd also love to see additional pictures. I long wanted one of the original Gibson F9s, but these new Laffertys (or are they Lafferties?) look even better and have a great price point.

Ignatius

The thread is being read by several moderators. If there was a problem it would have been edited. Feel free to carry on.

I will say once again - It does not matter where they are made, only how they play and sound.
    Dennis is not going to tell us where they are made so accept that fact and move along.

Wow. a NOT closed thread. 'nough said

Dennis telling us where they are made, they are made in the US. He's not telling us who made them for him. He's gone so far as to say that the day he has one made in another country he will identify it as such. He is a straight shooter and I see no reason to doubt what he is saying.

Besides, it's not incredibly difficult to identify the (very reputable) U.S. builder behind these with a little research and open eyes.

Hartley Peavey was always fond of telling the press that as far as he knew, "there was no Mr. Yamaha."

Blog Entries

The fact that this is still a topic of discussion proves one thing, which I might have said last month: Great marketing! I hope I win the one they're giving away.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Aside from the fact that the name contains the word "laff"...
    Also contains the word "ferty".
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

These two mandolins in the classifieds look pretty similar don't they?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

Not to open a controversial topic, I just thought it was interesting when I was going through the classifieds. This was an interesting discussion at one point!

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    I make it a policy not to comment on controversial threads because I don't like getting involved in arguments but every rule has an exception (therefore that rule must also have an exception, 'the exception to the rule that every rule has an exception is sod's law.. (let me know if sod's law doesn't translate into American))..

Here goes... I am not just referring to this thread or any particular poster but it sometimes occurs to me that some folks are inclined to make statements about subjects where their knowledge is insufficient to justify the point made. It would take a great knowledge of many different fields, manufacturing costs, labour costs and regulation, finance costs, rent, insurance, fuel and many others to work out the costs of manufacturing anything. I think some folks think running a business is is a straightforward matter.. Its not, after 37 years in many different kinds of small business I only feel remotely competent in areas where I have years of experience.

Of course its always good to hear other's views. I have followed suggestions from those with no experience, they can have a fresh view and spot things that the experienced (jaundiced?) eye doesn't see..
    Hysterical. Laughable. And so, so, so accurate. Beautifully written piece of prose.

This thing we do as small business people is a labor of love, certainly not corrected for profit. But, hey, oh well, I do what I do for love of the thing.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Byers View Post
    Just to put any speculation to rest, Weber is not involved in any aspect of Dennis' new line.
    Never mind!

Well, after I win the drawing, I'll share my opinion with folks .... as 4 years of playing a mandolin on three instruments has most surely made me the expert on such matters.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by djc227 View Post
    These two mandolins in the classifieds look pretty similar don't they?

Not to open a controversial topic, I just thought it was interesting when I was going through the classifieds. This was an interesting discussion at one point!
    I think all mandolins look alike. In they didn't someone would be able to pass a banjo off as a mando.

Only if noone was using their ears.

Just buy The Gibson.

Three year gap!!
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

I wish Dennis would have consulted with me before choosing the name for his new line. I would have suggested "The Menace."
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwilesF5 View Post
    Just buy The Gibson.
    I've yet to play a Gibson in the state of Tennessee that I would trade my Lafferty for! Most of the Gibson's I've played have been a let down. Not saying there not out there, I've just been disappointed in the one I've found for sale. Just my opinion.
    Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

I've had the opportunity to play two of the post flood havery mandos. A F5G and a goldrush. Boy it's hard to put in words the sounds and tone. All the hype. Believe me till you hear or play one you just want fully understand the hype of the new gibson mandolins. I haven't raked up the cash yet to get one. I'll keep playing my old clawson till the day comes. The custom builders these days along with the gibson are the best time to be in the market I suppose. I flirt constantly with the idea to have Skip Kelley build me one but I worry about resale should I ever depart with the instrument. Never heard or played a Lafferty. But if Dennis has anything to do do with it I'm sure it's good. As pro gibson as he is. MAS needs to go away!!!!