Thread: Aria AF tenor guitar update

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

Default Aria AF tenor guitar update

I realize there was an older posting on this subject matter, but here is an update.

Back a month ago I purchased a Blueridge BR40T tenor guitar from a major on-line retailer that I returned because the top had more waves in it than a road in southern New Hampshire. I was told by Customer Service that one should NOT expect a perfect flaw free instrument in the $350.00 price range. And since the particular instrument met their acceptable quality level, they would not cover my cost to return the instrument.

I recently purchased an Aria AF tenor "on clearance" including shipping for under $400.00. Believe me I say this is not a "Sour Grapes" report but there is no comparison between the two instruments. Other than the gaudy MOP toilet seat cover applied to the headstock, the overall quality and internal construction on the Aria is noticeable better. As far as the sound and sustain is concerned, the Aria is far superior. The body on the Aria is slightly larger which may account for the difference in the quality of the sound. The more expensive Blueridge models may be better than the entry level BR40T model - I doubt it. The Aria is the way to go IHO!

My only complaint would be, I wish the Aria had the more traditional bean button tuners. I plan to replace the tuners with a set of 40 year old gold Grovers that I have in my collection of stuff.

Would I pay an extra $350.00 for the current street price of a plain Jane Aria AF over a Blueridge BR40T? That's hard is say. But in my case, I was fortunate enough to find a brand new unopened box first quality Aria on clearance for under $400.00 and I love it. Not as much as my 1923 Gibson TL1 but that's a whole different set of strings.

Default Re: Aria AF tenor guitar update

I've had the same experience buying an Aria AF Tenor. I was lucky enough to get a good bargain and it's a fabulous guitar.

I recently purchased a used Blueridge BR-40T tenor guitar on-line from Elderly Instruments (nfi), and am very pleased with it.
    The top, or any part, has none of the flaws mentioned above. The fit and finish are first rate.
    The guitar has a full sound and playability that was unexpected from an instrument in this price range.

+1 on the Aria AF Tenor. It's the best budget tenor out there.

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

I've had mine for more than four years now and it has become even more remarkable. The fundamental tone (attack) is very large and tight and the resonance, which is huge, can be easily damped by right hand placement over the sound hole. This helps to make crisper sound in playing straight rhythm. My choice of strings is Elixer nano coating, and as usual they seem to last for years (current set is on for over two years). I lucked into a coffee sunburst and the top has gotten visually darker with time. As for bitsa's and farkle additions, the only visible thing is a set of Pearse string pins which are kind of nifty looking. I've thought about getting a set of black Gotoh Delta tuners but really - why should I? The originals work perfectly.

The one invisible thing I've tried and am really impressed with is a Planet Waves, O-Port, sound hole condenser. This is a flexible horn which mounts inside the sound hole, and was designed to compress the sound. It flat out works but ... I can't find it listed on d'Addario's web site but it does still appear on Amazon. I've tried this and then removed it and ... the sound is tighter and a bit louder. Which is good but it makes me wonder just what type of sound should I expect from a Tenor and how does that fit into an ensemble situation? That is my quandary, the Aria AF is that good that the question arose.

After thought ... The problem with Aria AF seems to be that so few exist in North America, Blueridge players have never had the opportunity to compare the sound. I have and this four string smokes anything I've tried which is factory made. That includes early Gibson's and my formerly owned Martin 0 17 t. It is that good.
    Last edited by Dolamon; Feb-27-2017 at 9:29am. Reason: addtitional thought
    Mandola fever is permanent.

I would really like one. I only wish that Aria still made them. I especially like the sunburst model.