Thread: Got Sirius/XM? Record Celtic music.

Default Got Sirius/XM? Record Celtic music.

I finally set up my car/home XM radio to record to my computer using free Audacity software. Each Friday night I can set Audacity in advance to record 6 hours of traditional Celtic music from the show Celtic Twilight on The Village. On Saturday morning I can record 3 hours of more progressive Celtic-influenced music from the show Celtic Crush (hosted by Larry Kirwin, Black 47) on The Spectrum. I then use Audacity to divide the 6 or 3 hour soundtrack into separate 15 or 30 minute-long tracks, convert to MP3, copy to a thumbdrive, insert into my car audio system, and I have 9 hours of Celtic music for my 80-minute, one-way commute to work. If interested, just use the latest beta version of Audacity which allows you to schedule the start/stop time of a recording.

Default Re: Got Sirius/XM? Record Celtic music.

Very cool. How did you connect your radio to your computer?
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

My XM radio slips into separate docks in the car or home. Both docks accept a standard 1/8" stereo male plug. The car dock goes to another 1/8" stereo male plug and the home dock splits into 2 RCA male plugs that is normally plugged into my receiver. I simply remove the plug from the home dock and insert one end of a 1/8" male-to-male plug and connect the other end into the line-in port on my computer. Then select the line-in as the input for the Audacity software. (Microsoft XP Sound Recorder will record the same but with limited capability.)

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

You can skip a step if you like, and record right to mp3 resolution in the Audacity before doing your edits. Audacity's mp3 compression codecs are among the best available (you probably know that...). Unless you're making CDs of the full bandwidth
    files, there's no downside of recording right to mp3s, and you'll use a whole lot less hard drive space and save the conversion time.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

What channel is that on Sirius? I didn't know they played any Celtic music. It was a sore point with me, actually.

Celtic Crush on The Spectrum (Sirius 18 | XM 45)
    Hosted by Larry Kirwan
    Saturdays 7 am - 10 am ET
    Rebroadcast Tuesday 11pm ET
    Celtic Crush travels among diverse music, from old to the very new. Ireland native, author and member of the premier Celtic rock band Black 47, Larry Kirwan draws from his private record collection for this soulful mix of traditional and contemporary music from the Celtic countries and England.

Celtic Twilight on The Village (Sirius 808 | XM 15)
    Fridays 6 pm ET
    Rebroadcasts Sundays 6 am ET
    A traditional 6 hour mix of the music of the British, Irish and Scottish music produced by Robert Aubry Davis.

I just discovered Celtic Crush with Larry Kirwan (Black 47) on XM radio. Then I saw this old thread while looking for info on Google. So I thought I'd update it with current info.

CELTIC CRUSH is now on XM's The Loft (Ch. 30) on Sundays from 9amET to Noon, with TWO encores: Tuesday, 9pmET and Wednesday MidnightET.#

Apparently you can get it on demand also? If I figure out how I'll update this. Suggestions for how to get it on-demand appreciated.