Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has more then one mando

Default Who has more then one mando

Im just wandering who has more then and if you do what is it.. Do you have your main one and a beater or Two great mandolins. I have my F5-G and thats it but i have been thinking of getting a cheaper mandolin to travel with.

Default Re: Who has more then one mando

I don't think anyone here owns more than one mando...that would be excessive, wouldn't it?

me own more than one mando??? noooooooowayyyy!

I have four right now. Two of them are pretty cheap, one is unplayable at the moment and the other is loaned out. I have two really good mandolins that I play often. The Clark is my main mandolin, and I have a Collings MT that is really great. I like having a good back up incase one is in the shop or whatever. I'm in the process of selling the Collings to buy a Flatiron F5 artist.

No sir.

you guys in denial are funny (chuckles)

Man, I've read enough threads to know lots of folk have >1 mandolin around here and that number is rarely enough. Some have an f hole, an oval hole and a pancake for whatever the gig requires, and others have their precious baby and a dirty beater.

I've only got one mandolin and was perfectly happy with it until I discovered this site, frankly. My plywood Alvarez A-100 with a Fishman piezo pickup served me well enough, but thanks to the fantastic knowledge and generosity of people around here, I've learned so freekin much about mandolins and everything that goes with them and am itching to upgrade.

Now, I'm not saying I want a new mandolin just because everybody else does... I want a new one because I'd like to think I finally deserve it. I practice a lot lately, am becoming more serious about focusing on mandolin more than guitar. But mostly want a mandolin that can keep up with the sound quality of the people I'm playing with too.

I tell ya tho - I'm pretty excited about my wife's idea to come meet her for dinner in Lansing (while she's at a convention) and celebrate my birthday in late July. Of course, I'm almost even more excited to arrive a couple hours early and visit Elderly! Who knows, maybe I'll get myself a handcarved present with 8 shiny strings...

Paul

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Last time we did this, I was in the running for most. Now, I'm down to my Montana (for the beach), my Flatiron 1N (played a lot!), my Flatiron A5-1 (my arched-top f-hole) and my Gibson A3. I guess I should count my Kay (first mandolin ever). That's 5, that work and a few genuine wall hangers.

I like some variation, but really do play my 1N mostly, right now. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

One!? Really!? I was in a room once with a bunch of guitarists and someone said he only had one guitar but nobody believed him. How many here who claim to have only one mandolin also don't have a guitar or any other instrument? Mandolins, I sold one recently so I think I'm down to 5. Givens, '27 A-0, an L & H, Regal reverse scroll, and an old scratchy Stella-- oh, forgot Mandocaster and one of those Vietnam Fergazies. 7.

Well, I have only one Phoenix two point. And only one oval hole, a 1920 Gibby A4. And only one custom built, Mowry A5. And only one 5-string electric Mann EM-5. And I don't even have one F5, or a beater. But I manage

Ive been looking in the classifieds and i saw the goble mandolin.... American made for 500 aint a bad deal have you seen the youtube of them some are really good if he would keep them tuned up...

They may not be the best but hey i already have my dream mando

I list my set in my signature so my weaknesses are known to all. Our house is full of instruments of all kinds (including my husband's four? guitars). Of my mandolins, three are swapped out regularly and the rogue is what i take to work and flying on vacation. The bandolim is what I play classical on, the bowlback is unplayable alas, and I switch off between the strad and kentucky for irish sessions.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I have one F5, one A5, one A4, one mandola, and one octave mandolin.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Even I have two mandolins - in different countries. My first mando, a Stagg M-20 from the local music shop, is now at my mum's place while my oval-hole Vintage-branded mandolin is at mine. It helps not to have to carry an instrument as well as all the other luggage when I travel to visit.

14. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Eventually Allen Hopkins or someone like him is going to see this thread and blow everyone out of the water. Meanwhile, I have somehow amassed quite a collection without really trying to ...

1917 Gibson A Mandolin
    1935 Gibson A-00 Mandolin
    1940s-50s Gibson EM-150 Mandolin
    2 Epiphone Mandobird Electric Solid-Body Mandolins (plan to convert one to mandola tuning)
    Fender Mandocaster FM 60E Electric Semi-Hollow Body 5-string Mandolin
    wooden resonator mandolin

related items:
    1916 Gibson H-2 Mandola
    1930s National Triolian Steel Tenor Guitar (tuned like mandola)
    1920s-30s mandolin-banjo

So, much to my surprise, I've managed to get into double digits, never intending to do anything of the sort. I've only ever wanted just one that did it all. Well, and a mandola. Well, and a steel resonator. Well, and a solid-body electric. You see what happens? And I even have, somewhere in deep storage, a nylon-string guitar. I admit it.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

My wife thinks I have only one but I have several others hidden under beds! Eastman 915RM, Eastman 505 ( I'm going to sell it) and new "TODAY" an Old Wave oval A that I love and will post pic soon!

I have a beat up Epiphone that I'm hopefully replacing soon. That's pretty much the main mando for me.
    But I also got an Eastwood Mandocaster. It's supposed to be a spin on the old '60s Fender Mandocaster(or mandoblaster). It's a nifty lil 8 string, dual pick up mandolin. I got it so that I can be more than just a singer and song writer in a punk/rock/jam band I'm in. It sounds awesome with a wah pedal haha
    "I'd think learning to play the guitar would be very confusing for sighted people."
    -Doc Watson

"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song."
    -Louis Armstrong

Ive never really been good enough to ever own two mandolins but somehow i bought a gibson instead But ive been looking and i swear i just want another to take places when i go traveling and camping and stuff.... But im stumped at what to get.. I dont want to spend to much but then i dont want to get a piece of #### ...

When i look at mandolin i end up want something like a Daley or another Gibson !!!! i hate mas
    Last edited by JEStanek; Jun-17-2010 at 8:54pm. Reason: please do not try to avoid the profanity filter.

I have 2.5 mandolins.
    That is, I've got two functional ones (both fairly low-end) and one that's in pieces. The busted one was donated to me by another cafe-goer to try my hand at repairing (cheap glued neck was coming apart) and I haven't finished fixing it yet (it's become one of those "the more I fix it the more I need to fix" projects).

So I've got two I can play: a "Matt DeBlass" oval hole (built from a modified IV kit) and a Rover RM-35s.
    If I call my guitar my "axe," does that mean my mandolin is my hatchet?

Breedlove Quartz KF
    Kit Built Oval Hole
    Martin 000M
    Highland Harp

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/mattdeblass2

Feed My Ego, Visit My Youtube Page

I have an F5 an A5 an OM and a D35 knock off from the law suit era in the 70's.

one here ... one there ... etc., etc..

trusty-rusty loar 600 for most things but my big-muddy MO's been getting a good work-out of late.

Four mandos. '21 F2, '10 A4, '09 collings MT, '62 fender electric. I'm not sure which one's the beater.

I currently only have three? Have had as many as six at one time? However, I only have two guitars.
    Thanks for your support?

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Eventually Allen Hopkins or someone like him is going to see this thread and blow everyone out of the water. Meanwhile, I have somehow amassed quite a collection without really trying to ...
    Currently:
    c1910 Gibson 3-point F-2
    1954 Gibson F-5
    1987 Gibson Army-Navy Custom "pancake"
    1920 Martin Style A
    1930's Dobro mandolin
    c1937 National Triolian steel-body resonator mandolin
    c1900 Howe-Orme mandolinetto
    c1925 Holdrio piccolo mandolin
    c1895 Merrill aluminum-bodied bowl-back
    c1900 B&J Victoria bowl-back
    c1945-50 Strad-O-Lin
    c1980 Jordan solid-body electric mandolin
    2008 Eastman DGM-1
    2009 Eastman DGM-2
    c1895 Washburn bowl-back mandola
    c1985-7 Sobell mandola
    2007 Eastman MDA-615 mandola
    1985 Flatiron 3K octave mandolin
    c1930 Regal Octofone
    c1920 Gibson K-1 mandocello
    2008 Eastman MDC-805 mandocello
    c1920 Vega Little Wonder mandolin-banjo
    ?? No-name mandolin-banjo ('20's-'30's, I'd guess)

Not including "banjolas" (mandola body, 5-string banjo neck): I have a modern Gold Tone, and a 1890's Pollman "mandoline banjo" made the same way. Also not including tenor banjo, cello banjo, or tenor guitar, although they have 5ths tuning and get discussed here a bit.

That's where she stands a/o now. No plans to acquire more or down-size in the immediate future, but as my 60's tick away, I'm starting to think seriously about where they're all eventually going.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Gambrel View Post
    I just want another to take places when i go traveling and camping and stuff....
    i don't believe in beaters. You probably don't want to hear this, but I say bring your good one everywhere, even camping. Just check the weather report first. You won't believe how beautiful it will sound out in the woods or on a hillside or by a lake, away from the rumble and roar of civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Bslot0622 View Post
    It sounds awesome with a wah pedal haha
    I do the same with my MandoBird four-string. I don't usually go nuts with it, but it sure helps make some nice textural accents. And it's always ready to kick it out if I want to go there. People just don't expect a small instrument to sound so rocking.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

As you can see by my signature, I will have two by the end of next week.
    Photos to come.