Thread: I Now Have a Mandolin related Blog

Default I Now Have a Mandolin related Blog

I'm in a class right now dealing with some basic aspects of e-publishing and I needed to start a very basic blog for a project. The suggestion was to just choose something you're interested in and run with it. So, I started a blog on my experience as I learn the mandolin. Nothing too earth-shattering, and I doubt I'll keep it up after the class is over, but nonetheless, I'd be interested to see if anyone has some feedback on the posts that I've made. I've got a couple of videos up, one about double stops and one on some basic pointers for writing a lead break in which I use a simple break for "Trouble In Mind" as an example. Hopefully you may find something of interest.

http://meandmymandolin.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave some comments. If they're nice comments, feel free to use lots of complimentary superlatives

Default Re: I Now Have a Mandolin related Blog

Well, this is awkward. I didn't mean to post a message in my own thread but I can't seem to find a way to delete this post. This sucks. If any mod is reading this, could you please delete this post?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Why delete it? I think your blog is cool. Ok, so writting a blog isn't like authoring a definitive essay, but neither is burning a CD like having a contract with a major record label. And let's face it, posting on YouTube is a far cry from a music video on MTV, but your blog is cool. I hope you get a good grade.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723 View Post
    Why delete it? I think your blog is cool. Ok, so writting a blog isn't like authoring a definitive essay, but neither is burning a CD like having a contract with a major record label. And let's face it, posting on YouTube is a far cry from a music video on MTV, but your blog is cool. I hope you get a good grade.
    Thanks

I didn't want this thread deleted, or my initial post. What I wanted to do was to get rid of my second post in this thread. I thought I was responding to another thread and ended up posting a response in this thread. So, for one thing, it was posted in the wrong thread. Also, I thought it might look like I was jsut trying to bump my thread up in the queue, which was not my intention at all. I tried deleting the second post I made but couldn't.

In any case, thanks again for the nice words. It's sort've weird videotaping myself. I find it best to give the video a one over look to see if it's acceptable and then either post or redo it. If I watch it more than a couple of times all I can see is how awkward some things are. I realize that it's done in a far more professional situation, but I have some newfound patience and empathy for folks who do instructional DVDs. I've always been really quick to jump at their shortcomings, but if nothing else, this little exercise will make me much more forgiving of little omittances and much more appreciative of really good video instructors.

Yet another compliment to heap on Mr. Baldassari... he made giving instruction on camera look very easy and effortless.

Hi Alex, I like your blog a lot, and there's loads of great information there - I learned something from each of your videos.

It's tough to be your own editor, but you need a tight focus in blogs. You could think about preparing a storyboard for each video, keeping them to under 4 minutes, and setting a lower limit for the number of words you use in each post. The web is a pithy medium.