Thread: Recommend any good recordings?

Can anyone recommend some really good Irish recordings?

Sometimes I'll be the music shop and I'll see a CD by some band that I've seen raved about here or over at thesession.org and I'll buy the CD on impulse, but I *always* regret it...

Today it was Flook... I'd heard a lot about them, was expecting great things, so bought "Flatfish" while I was in town just now. I've only listened to it once so far, but my initial rating is "ok if you like flutes". Apparently there's a mandolin on it somewhere but damned if I can hear it.

More importantly, IMHO it's got none of the pace, balls, passion, energy, and sheer *life* that drew me to this glorious genre in the first place. What I'm particularly looking for is the brilliant melodies at high speeds: the banjos and mandos at 100mph, with guitars and bodhrans thundering. I want at least one CD that gives me a small part of that rush I feel at good sessions: the urge (seldom obeyed) to stamp my feet, to dance and to play along.

Despite a growing collection of ITM CDs, I still have absolutely nothing that I would have purchased if I'd heard it beforehand. Actually the one exception is DanB's "Shatter the Calm" but then I scrounged my copy off the artist so that doesn't really count

Is it just me or is the average quality of recorded ITM really poor? Are all the best musicians hanging around in pubs, their talents going almost totally to waste? It sure seems like it... I seem to spend most of my time listening to session recordings, cos it's better than anything I've yet found on the music store shelves, but there *must* be stuff out there...

Can you help me find it?

Mandonoob,

If you're shopping at Borders, or the like, then maybe you're choice is limited. But there's more out there that's worthwhile than I have the time of money for. Ther've been a few recent threads at thesession.org about mandolin recordings. I usually learn tunes from other instrument recordings (fiddle, box, flute), not mandolin (or at least not without reference to other recordings). One reason is that not being a traditional session instrument, the players often make changes in ornament, etc., from the traditional tune to adapt it to the mandolin.

As for recent recordings (I won't get into the classics...), anything by Dervish, Danu, or Bohola, gets my feet tapping and gets me learning new tunes. I've looked and listened appreciatively at the website of a Boston trio called Siucra who sound great (http://www.siucra.net/samples/siucra.net_charlie.mp3), but I haven't sprung for a CD yet. A favorite banjo recording of mine is Seanus Egan's (the Portland Seamus, not the Solas one) CD, In Your Ear. If you google any of these names you can find their websites, and many online retailers or artists' websites (most likely Amazon), have small mp3 files you can download and give a listen to before buying. Another current favorite CD of mine is Fonnchaoi, by Verena Commins (button box) & Julie Langan (fiddle); it's traditional and straight, but perhaps a little low-key for you, though there is some nice guitar (nothing like John Doyle mind you).

Solas' first two CD's are fabulous, and driving, like some of the older Bothy Band recordings; I can't imaginge being disappointed by them.

Nothing wrong with learning tunes from local sessions, but I imagine for listening pleasure it's not the same as a good studio recording. Happy hunting; let us know if you discover something good!

Keith

Since you already have Shatter the Dan, try my other fave, The Rocky Road, by Michael Kerry. If you can, buy or steal a copy of The New Land by Touchstone (out of print). Other than that, slim pickings, mandolin-wise. Check out John Carty - he's a banjo and fiddle player, but anything he plays is worth listening to. And watch this forum for the album Aidan is compiling.

Some non-mandolin stuff: I love the first Flook! CD (the live one). But i'm a flute player. Flook is definitely a flute band. The first CD has incredible energy. I also like Lunasa, especially the first (live) album, and the latest (The Something Sessions) - although Lunasa plays much better live than in their recordings. Bothy Band was also good, and influenced pretty much everybody who came after them. Old Chieftains stuff is good, the newer stuff is so-so but still listenable. For the really traditional stuff, get "The Branch Line" (concertina and flute, Jack and Charlie Cohen) and Tribute to Michael Coleman (accordion, fiddle, piano). These should be enough to get you started.

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Flook are not a strictly Irish trad band. They feature a lot of modern sounding tunes and do a fair bit of improvising around them. They're great live, though. Brian Finnegan really is an amazing musician, and the stuff just flows out of him.

If you haven't heard The Bothy Band, you really need to put that right. They were not just 'good', they were probably the best band that there's ever been. They set the standards the likes of Altan, Lunasa and Solas are judged by, but for my money have never been bettered.

They had a front line of pipes, fiddle and flute, backed by bouzouki, guitar and keyboard, so the rhythm was just as strong as the melody.

They also had some good singing (but they were primarily instrumental).

Opinions vary as to which was their best album, but on the whole I would recommend their second one ' Old Hag You have Killed Me'.

I can't imagine you not liking this, if you're into the stuff at all.
    David A. Gordon

I second Bothy. If you're into the Irish "band" sound, then you have to know Bothy. I like the first album, but they're all good. When i think of Bothy, what comes to mind is relentless power, that pretty much knocks you off your feet. Be sure to check out some of the more traditional stuff too, like what i mentioned above; you may like it. One of the things with Irish music is that there is enormous variety. You should also check the solo albums by the Bothy band's piper, Paddy Keenan. And join a proper Irish music group, like thesession, or the IRTrad mailing list.

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

That Michael Kerry album sounds brilliant... and I'd forgotten all about Bothy Band. I had an old tape of theirs years ago, which I loved, but lost it... Seamus Egan: I've heard about him from other sources as well, but can never find him in the shops. I guess the trick is to get more into the online-purchasing mentality.

Thanks for all the leads!

I agree completely with the "beg, steal or borrow" Touchstone's, the New Land! For great tenor banjo playing try Kieran Hanrahan's Traditional Irish Music, Christy Dunne's Pluckin' Good and Kevin Griffin's Across the Pond.

SteveB
    Steve Bennett

Will say that Dervish is some of the best "live" studio recording musicians I've ever heard. They sound so awesome on their live recordings and their studio stuff. Really driving rythms and fun music.

Paul

Mandonoob,

Check this out:

http://www.seamusegan.com/

It's the west coast Seamus Egan's webpage; it has sound clips on it. It's old, but I believe you can purchase the CD online from Aniar Records:

http://www.aniar.net/

This Seamus Egan is from Ireland, and is now a builder in Portland Oregon. He teaches at Lark Camp near Mendocino every summer; that's where I've heard him play and acquired his CD.

Keith

I'll support the recommendations for the Bothy Band, Seamus Eagan, Touchstone, Dervish, Solas, Dan B.... also am a recently new fan of Siucra and really like their recent album.

For me, though, what really drew me in originally was Planxty. Any and all of it. And there are some great Chieftains albums too... though of theirs I tend to really dig the fusion albums that are less traditional.

I'd also add that whether or not mandolin is on the album is not so much a criterion of mine... melodies may be on flute or pipes or fiddle, and if it's GOOD, it's GOOD!
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

I'm a big fan of the first two Solas CD's......you really can't go qrong with these.
    IMO much better than the current lineup. They had John Doyle, an amazing rhythm guiarist
    in those days....he is with Tim O'Brien now.....as well as Karen Casey on vocals. I still
    see them every time they come thru the Bay Area, but that early version of the band was
    stellar. Those first two CD's are brilliantly recorded too, incredible sound!

My favorite Irish recording is a record with Frankie Gavin playing the fiddle and Alec Finn playing the bouzouki - amazing stuff..., it is a friends record though - and I can't actually remember what the album is called..

Patrick Street have also made some great albums, there is quite an old one with some great guitar playing from Arty McGlynn on, that I think is just called Patrick Street..

Quote Originally Posted by (mancmando @ Sep. 13 2005, 13:00)
    My favorite Irish recording is a record with Frankie Gavin playing the fiddle and Alec Finn playing the bouzouki - amazing stuff..., it is a friends record though - and I can't actually remember what the album is called..
    Probably "Frankie Goes to Town" ? A favorite of mine too..

I love the "West Coast Seamus Egan" as well.. his "In Your Ear" is one of my most frequently played CDs (tenor banjo, tenor guitar, 1 maybe 2 mando cuts).

Dervish's "Playing With Fire" is another personal favorite.

I really like the 3 Open House CDs with Paul Kotapish on mandolin along with Kevin Burke & Mark Graham as well.
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

I only know Paul Kotapish's mandolin playing from Wake the Dead CD's (and wonderful live performances!); I'll have to check out Open House. He certainly puts a lot of expressive technique and ornament into the Irish tunes that somehow come through the ensemble context. With that in mind, I'd recommend any Wake the Dead CD for Irish mandolin too.

The Frankie Gavin & Alec Finn CD, their first recording in NYC with just the two of them, I believe is just title Frankie Gavin & Alec Finn. They look like they're about 17 years old in the photo. I'm pretty sure it can be purchased from Down Home Music in El Cerrito, CA, even though it doesn't appear on their website; a friend just picked up a copy there. It's really wonderful.

Another "beg, borrow or steal" entry is Mick Moloney's Strings Attached (I don't know whether or not it's still in print). The leads are half mando, half banjo, with guitar backing (except for one track--mando lead, piano accompaniment). Not always at breakneck speed, but with great drive nonetheless.

For my money, speed is overrated. To get an education ( ) on this, check out anything by fiddler Martin Hayes. He almost never plays fast (but he can--his setting of the Foxhunter's Reel on Under the Moon just burns), but he always manages to convey the life of the music.

I think the Frankie Gavin & Alec Finn recording is just called "Traditional Music of Ireland/Fiddle and Bouzouki". It's really great.

You should check out some of the bands from Scotland as well. The earlier Battlefied Band records have good bouzouki and some mandolin playing from the likes of Jamie McMenemey, Ged Foley, and Brian McNeil. Some really driving rhythm playing (among other good things) from the Tannahill Weavers. I really like the Old Blind Dogs though the cittern playing is not really out front all that much. Shooglenifty is not really my cup of tea, but great playing...particularly from mandolinist Luke Plum. If you've still got a turntable, the Boys of the Lough records seem to turn up in used record shops a lot and are a fabulous musical bargain. Great stuff.

Just some ideas no one else mentioned. You really have to do some hunting and research. The CD bins in Borders and the like just don't go very far.
    Steve

Mandonoob ...

There are absolute shedloads of BRILLIANT, inspiring, glorious Irish Traditional Music around.

Your dilemma is going to be finding "the brilliant melodies at high speeds: the banjos and mandos at 100mph, with guitars and bodhrans thundering". The reason being that sessions (particularly those which you attend in SW London!) tend to generate a speed-kick that most musicians shun when it comes to playing in a solo or group setting.

I suspect that the primary reason for the speed thing is that in any given session, people get together once or twice a week in a loose grouping to play. Any "rehearsal" factor derives from the iterative "getting-to-know-you" that comes about over time. And this sense of flying by the seat of the pants gives rise to the need for speed, because this music's rhythms become accented the faster they're played.

However in the solo setting, or the well-rehearsed group setting, many musicians aim for a more laid-back tempo in which pure rhythm becomes less the goal than the music's "pulse".

However, having said all that, there are quite a few recordings about which have a real session vibe to them.

Try some of the following:

Na Connerys - The Session (not live, but several tracks are pure hell-for-leather)
    Various Artists - Live At Matt Molloy's (the cream of Irish trad musos letting their hair down in Matt's pub in Westport)
    Various Artists - Paddy In The Smoke (live recordings from the mid-late 60s from North London)
    Various Artists - The Long Strand (fiddle music from Liverpool, very raw and real!)

As others have mentioned, check out Dervish; each of their albums features one or two tune sets which scorch along at a rate of knots.

Danu? When these guys wind up into top gear, they fairly blister!

And check out John Carty's "The Cat That Ate The Candle" ... if you like throbbing banjo then this may be the one to float your boat!

I might have time for a few more recommendations later, but there's some cracking listening in the few recordings mentioned above.

Aidan

I've come accross an amazing source for music, especially celtic. It's called e-music. It's basically a legitimate source for downloadable mp3's. They carry many independent labels but of interest to us would be Shanchie, Green Linnet and Compass Records (as well as Grisman's label). Depending on the package you subscribe for, it works out to 22 to 25 cents per song. Plus there is no long term obligation. Plus you can start off with 100 free songs.

They've got all the Solas as well as their offshoots - John Doyle, Karen Casey, Mick McAuley etc., Planxty, Andy Irvine, Patrick Street, Danu, Shooglinifty, John Carty, and on and on. They even have the obscure Frankie Gavin & Alec Finn album mentioned above. Another great feature is that you can preview songs.

Here's the link to the sight. You can browse before signing up:

http://www.emusic.com/ #then click on "ABOUT EMUSIC" down at the bottom of the page.

If you decide to subscribe, here's the link for 100 free downloads instead of their standard 50 free downloads - you have to subscribe to get them, but you can quit before they bill you if you choose.

http://www.emusic.com/promo/nero/index.html?fref=800068

I have no connection or finacial interest in this company. I've been a member for three months and couldn't be more satisfied.

Enjoy[B]

Thanks to all again, this is more than I could have hoped for!

I looked up Seamus Egan (West Coast) on iTunes and was surprised and gratified to find 3 superb banjo recordings of his on a compilation album. This guy is just amazing.

crispinfoxtrot: I like the sound of emusic.com, but why on earth do they insist on taking a credit card # and other personal info before they even allow you to browse what they're offering for sale? They must be absolutely out of their minds to arrange their site like that ... I can't see them attracting many new customers that way.

Mandonoob,

You can search the site without registering. I've edited my above post so it's easier to figure out how to get to the search page. Once you start browsing, you will be astounded at their library.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

http://www.johnmcgann.com/irish.html

And, yes... _John_Carty_ !

Have a look here, too

http://www.ossianusa.com

Great folks, with a superb selection of material.

TheSession.org is a site that has references to recordings, transcriptions of tunes and a discussion area. Here is the recording section:

http://www.thesession.org/recordings/index.php

Enjoy,

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2