Thread: Mendelssohn E minor Violin Concerto played on a mandolin

Default Mendelssohn E minor Violin Concerto played on a mandolin

Dear friends,

In one of my recent UT internet surfing, I found this interesting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9hR9lRynw

It is a full performance of the Mendelssohn E minor Violin Concerto on a mandolin, accompanied by a piano. A hard piece to play...

This is my childhood's favorite violin concerto....

I didn't see it before played on a mandolin.

I don't know who is the mandolin player (no English description only Chinese or Japanese that translated to Isaozo Onishi by google translator - at least the UT channel's name)

Enjoy,

Shamai

Default Re: Mendelssohn E minor Violin Concerto played on a mandolin

Thanks for posting this video. The Mendelssohn E minor violin concerto is one of my long-time favorites. I never really considered it suitable for mandolin but this duo does a great job. All that tremolo makes my right hand ache watching this performance!
    Thanks again.

I love the Mendelssohn concerto, of course, so this was very interesting. This may be a personal preference, but I found the constant tremolo to sap a lot of the life out of the piece. There are all sorts of phasing and dynamics that this sort of monotonous tremolo washes right over. That said, it's great to see things like this being done on mandolin and even better to know that it can be done! I've toyed with the Beethoven concerto over the years, and while likely no one will ever hear it, it's an interesting experience just trying to work it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_P View Post
    I found the constant tremolo to sap a lot of the life out of the piece. There are all sorts of phasing and dynamics that this sort of monotonous tremolo washes right over.
    That's exactly my thought! I've lurking here on mandolincafe and this post made me register