Thread: K&K Pickup for 5 course mandocello

Default K&K Pickup for 5 course mandocello

I have a Dammann 5 course mandocello that came installed with a Fishman rare earth active humbucker. I ended up breaking the battery holder on the pickup trying to change the batteries. So... it looks like it is time to get a new pickup. I have no real complaints about the Fishman, but I think I would prefer to have a passive transducer in its place. In general, I prefer transducers to mag pickups.

I've been looking at the K&K, but I am unsure on which one to get. The Dammann is a flat top a-style bodied mandocello with standard acoustic guitar bridge and pins.

Any recommendations? I was thinking of either the Pure 12-string or the Pure Mini.

Default Re: K&K Pickup for 5 course mandocello

call K&K. They're pretty helpful with questions.

Consider install cost as well, unless you can do it yourself. An expensive, but my understanding easy to use and reuse , are the Schertler dyn pickups. There's one in the classifies Small disk that safely sticks to the sound board. Works on guitars, mandolins, mandocello. It's easily removeable and can be switched between instruments. I can't install k and k pickups. Had them installed professionally on my loar 600 and the big muddy Mandola. Like the sound, but will consider the Schertler. If I pay for install, the Schertler costs about the same and can be used oN multiple instruments. Or, call k and k.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

The pure 12 will not fit. I was able to measure the bridge plate and there is not enough room.

I'm mostly confident that I can install the pickups myself. The sound hole is normal sized and it is not to far from the bridge so reaching everything should be easy.

I installed a JJB PPS-200 in my 5 course 'cello. I've also installed these in everything from fiddle to upright bass. You can pay the extra $$ for a K&K, but reduced wallet mass is the only detectable difference. I know - I've tried both. NFI.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I would tend to use the Big Twin K&K for a larger bodied instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I installed a JJB PPS-200 in my 5 course 'cello. I've also installed these in everything from fiddle to upright bass. You can pay the extra $$ for a K&K, but reduced wallet mass is the only detectable difference. I know - I've tried both. NFI.
    I too have developed a liking for the JJB PPS-200; I have just ordered another one this week to put into a tenor guitar. They also offer three-disc PUs which might be a thought for the extra courses of your mandocello. NFI!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm going to stay with the Fishman. Ordered a replacement that should be here in a couple of days.