Thread: London - Silk violin recitals

Blog Entries

Default London - Silk violin recitals

People have probably seen the articles last year about the development of the spider silk composite based violin by Luca Allesandrini

Because it may be pertinent for mandolin developments in future, I thought it might be interesting for anyone based around London to have a listen to it in the flesh.
    They are putting on a few free lunchtime concerts at the Building Centre in Store St. http://lucaalessandrini.com/silkviolin#/new-gallery-77/ 3 Feb, 3 March and 17th March
    They're free but you need to book to go here; http://www.buildingcentre.co.uk/even...violin-recital

Unfortunately I'm not up in London for any of the dates, but I'd love to hear from anyone who does get to go along.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Default Re: London - Silk violin recitals

I'd like to hear it after it has been played in and had a chance to really open up.

Default Re: London - Silk violin recitals

I am a little confused, no doubt Luca Alessandrini does not speak English as his native tongue:

This violin contains three 35cm long spider silk strands produced by the Australian Golder Orb weaver spider.
    Only three threads. I assume there is some processing of the material with something to hold it together like resin as in carbon fiber or flax.

A few videos:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: