Thread: Case Brothers?

Default Case Brothers?

I don't know where else to go with this, but if anyone can answer this question it would have to be someone here.

Many years ago I saw a guitar/mandolin/vocals duo at Musikfest in Bethlehem PA.

I believe they called themselves the Case Brothers (Martin and Gibson Case) and they played mostly Monroe Brothers style music. They even had the period correct clothing.

I was very impressed by them.

Doing a search for "Martin and Gibson Case" turns up a lot of stringed instument cases but not too many "brothers"

Does anyone know these guys? or what happened to them?
    Dobro Mandolin
    Kentucky Dawg Mandola
    Fender FM-53S
    Rogue RM-100A-BK

Default Re: Case Brothers?

Sounds like a "catchy" name for two pickers...I have never heard of them myself...

Willie

Well I just tried another search and the first hit was an obituary on Bluegrass Today for "Gibson" dated a few years ago. So sad.

Edit: his real name was Bob Mavian.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...RIP-Bob-Mavian
    Last edited by Turlagh; Jan-10-2017 at 12:20pm.
    Dobro Mandolin
    Kentucky Dawg Mandola
    Fender FM-53S
    Rogue RM-100A-BK

Bob Mavian was a neighbor (or at least lived in the next town over) and an avid BG picker. He was also a veterinarian. I do remember his duo playing locally.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Them boys were Bob Mavian and Dick Bowden. Their 'thing' was to evoke the old-time duet brother-style harmony and pick guitar and mandolin, which they did terrifically. Bob indeed passed a few years ago. He played a Loar. I was at many a-pickin' party with him over the years. A more gentle and kind person you could not find. I believe Bob played the Opry decades ago, as a banjo man with a name act. I saw Dick at IBMA a couple of years ago. We talked of the old days and jammed a bit. He knows hundreds of songs, has forgotten even more. He is a regular contributor to BU.

7. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

The Case Brothers played a lot of the festivals in the northeast back in the 90s and made at least two recordings back then. The first was cassette only (I think), and the second was a CD that recreated the songs, jokes, and banter in the style of an old time radio show. They featured a lot of brother tunes and Acuff material as well as some very nice original compositions in the brother style. They had that old time sound and look and were a lot of fun to see in character on stage. Wonderful musicians and very nice folks too.

9. The following members say thank you to Andy B for this post: