Thread: Delfest Academy MAY 22-24th sign up today and learn from the best

Default Delfest Academy MAY 22-24th sign up today and learn from the best

Sign up today for the Delfest Academy - MAY 22-24th at the Alleghany County Fairgrounds prior to Delfest 25th-28th - The Academy consists of a friendly, encouraging and intensive three-day learning experience with some of the finest musicians in bluegrass, and offers instruction for guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandolin and bass for all experience levels. Students will receive instruction targeted to their individual needs, with plenty of opportunity for one-on-one interaction. The cost of registration is $400.

more info at delfest.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1775-08-01-17-12-03.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	772.8 KB 
ID:	152834  
    FROM THE FARM TO THE BARN!

Default Re: Delfest Academy MAY 22-24th sign up today and learn from the

I'm booked.

Ready to stretch myself and get up on stage with Ronnie and the boys this year... I think.

So I've never been to anything like this, and it is relatively close to me. Am I safe in assuming that local attendees that don't camp are welcome. Not that I will be able to afford it at this late juncture but I can dream

Quote Originally Posted by belorsch View Post
    So I've never been to anything like this, and it is relatively close to me. Am I safe in assuming that local attendees that don't camp are welcome. Not that I will be able to afford it at this late juncture but I can dream
    I thought I'd replied earlier, but I must've messed something up.

There are a number of local attendees who don't camp-- some of them change their minds once they've stayed and camped the next year because there's a lot going on after the lessons are over. I've stayed offsite a few times, and it makes you feel a bit disconnected from everything else going on. Either way, you should come on by to where the academy folk stay-- over in the corner by the Deluxe folk. Go over by the fence gate and you'll probably see some locals. It'd be a good way to find some local pickers.

I'm not local, but I know a bunch of folks who are, and they're all good people.

5. The following members say thank you to KEB for this post:

Registered User Otis_Spunkmeyer's Avatar

Delfest is my favorite time of the year. Can't afford the academy, but I camp directly across from the big white jam tent during the festival. We serve the gumbo. I would love to play with you guys and my mandolin will be with me this year. Last year that rain was terrible and we were caught in the mud runoff from the new building they are building.
    South West Jersey. Kentucky km-650. Delyeah!

Quote Originally Posted by KEB View Post
    I thought I'd replied earlier, but I must've messed something up.

There are a number of local attendees who don't camp-- some of them change their minds once they've stayed and camped the next year because there's a lot going on after the lessons are over. I've stayed offsite a few times, and it makes you feel a bit disconnected from everything else going on. Either way, you should come on by to where the academy folk stay-- over in the corner by the Deluxe folk. Go over by the fence gate and you'll probably see some locals. It'd be a good way to find some local pickers.

I'm not local, but I know a bunch of folks who are, and they're all good people.
    I figured that might be the case. Thanks very much for the info.

I got my act together this year and signed up as soon as I could. I hesitated last year and missed out.

Now that I'm committed I must admit I'm a little nervous. This will be my first camp and I'm not sure what to expect. I want to make sure I have a baseline level of knowledge so I can get something out of the experience. What things (tunes, chords, etc) should I focus on in the next few months to prepare?

Apologies if this is hijacking the thread. I can start a new one if that would be more polite.

Best,
    Lex

P.S. I don't have much of a BG background (note my mandolin avatar)

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    I got my act together this year and signed up as soon as I could. I hesitated last year and missed out.

Now that I'm committed I must admit I'm a little nervous. This will be my first camp and I'm not sure what to expect. I want to make sure I have a baseline level of knowledge so I can get something out of the experience. What things (tunes, chords, etc) should I focus on in the next few months to prepare?

Apologies if this is hijacking the thread. I can start a new one if that would be more polite.

Best,
    Lex

P.S. I don't have much of a BG background (note my mandolin avatar)
    Hey Lex-- don't worry about it-- there's always a range of folks from people who are playing gigs 50 nights a year to people who have 3 chords and can kind of change between them.

I'm on the low end of that scale and I've been going for 3 years. There are a ton of great people, which is really the heart of the event.

You'll have the opportunity to spend a little time with Ronnie and with someone else-- my guess is either Sierra or Jeff Austin. The lesson part isn't super structured. Usually there's some generic chatting and they'll teach a song or two at a pace that's faster than I've been able to pick up.

You'll hear a ton of great music with a bunch of private concerts, and you'l have the opportunity to play with the band if you're not chicken (I've always been too chicken). There's a band scramble that's a lot of fun, so you'll get to know and play with others.

Really, it's a very cool, inclusive event. If you want hardcore instruction, there are other camps more dedicated to getting you a lot of lesson time. If you want inspiration, an awesome week with great people, and some face time with the band, you'll love it. If you're looking for an organized curriculum you could probably do better with one of the dedicated camps.

You bringing your oval hole? If so, I'll keep an eye out for you and say howdy. If not, PM me before you head out and we'll connect.

KEB -

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely at the "know three chords and can kinda change between them" stage and am working hard on figuring out when to change them, too. I'm glad to hear it's an inclusive crowd and am looking forward to being exposed to some good music. My memory bank tends to fill up quickly during instruction whether highly structured or loose and I consider it a worth while endeavor if I come away with one or two things to work on in my own time. Do you know if you're allowed to record the lesson sessions to listen to later?

Barring an unforeseen windfall or a super sale, I'll have my trusty oval hole (as it's my only mandolin). I've been trying to squeeze an ok sounding chop out of it in preparation. Whatever instrument I do show up with, it will be left handed so, I'll stick out regardless.

Looking forward to meeting you.
    Cheers,
    Lex