Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for quality gig bag? (I'm picky...)

Default Recommendations for quality gig bag? (I'm picky...)

Hi all,

I'm looking for a gig bag. I have one from Superior that's so-so; it's not exceptionally padded, and has a single shoulder strap that's pretty uncomfortable.

Ideally I'd like something that's really well-padded (like, I wish Mono made a mando gig bag...), and it would be helpful if it had at least one shoulder strap. I prefer carrying my mando "backpack" style as I live in NYC and usually have my hands full.

Seems like slim pickings out there, but I'd appreciate any recommendations from you venerable folks!
    Gibson F9 2002
    Gibson A2 1922
    National RM-1
    Kentucky KM-380

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommendations for quality gig bag? (I'm picky...)

I strongly recommend you take a look at the Reunion Blues Continental. It is extremely light to carry, either with the handle or the straps. The straps tuck away when not in use, and the handle is very comfortable.

I would trust these soft cases for anything but extreme blunt force trauma. For the day to day bumps and scrapes and drops it is superbly protective. I might switch to a hard shell case if I knew I was going to have to check the bag at the airport, but that is the only situation I can think of, and it might not really be needed even then.

I have no financial interest in the product, I am just very impressed with these bags.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

JeffD, many thanks for the recommendations. The RB Continental was pretty much the only candidate I found within my price range that didn't like it was made out of tissue paper. Thanks, I will check it out!
    Gibson F9 2002
    Gibson A2 1922
    National RM-1
    Kentucky KM-380

My suggestions would be either an:

Access Stage One: http://www.elderly.com/access-stage-...lin-gigbag.htm. I've got one for an open back banjo that I love.

Or a

Travelite, which is a hard foam case, but absurdly protective: http://www.elderly.com/travelite-f-mandolin-case.htm. I used to carry my Ellis around in a Calton, but went back to the travelite because it's so light and still super protective and has the backpack straps. Mike Marshall carries (or did) his Loar around in one.

Both run around $75

I'm sure the Reunion Blues is great too!

Likewise, no financial interest for any of these products.

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Thanks, Baron (and I love your vids!) That case from Stage One looks nice. Unfortunately, it looks like the Travelite only comes in F-style, and I'm looking for an a-style case.
    Gibson F9 2002
    Gibson A2 1922
    National RM-1
    Kentucky KM-380

I have my A style in a Travelite. No problems at all. Probably the reason they don't bother making them.

Blog Entries

I like my Boulder Alpine bag but now that they are $60, you might as well go Travelite for extra security for $15 more.

I always felt a little nervous with my mandolin in just a gig bag. There's not that much difference in weight between a full mandolin case (Eastman Fiberglass, Shaped Canadian case, or a gig bag).

Just my $0.02
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blue Heron Cases are handmade and very nice...I've got a mandolin and tenor guitar case from them.

NFI, but I'm totally biased as the makers are friends (and band mates) of mine:

http://www.blueheroncases.com/soft-c...olin-soft-case

Access 3 is adding some extra stiffeners so a bridge with some case like features in a gig bag http://www.elderly.com/access-stage-...lin-gigbag.htm

Personally, I use the Back pack strap fitting 3 D rings on my Eastman FiberGlass Case .
    & carry It on My Back.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I am very happy with my Travelite.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

I've also looked around for a quality gig bag, but I can't find anything under $100 that would give me anything more than what my Travelite isn't already giving me. So, I keep the Pava in a Superior hardshell case when at home, and a Travelite when I go outside And yes, A style would fit perfectly in a Travelite. I've used it for my Pava, Collings MT, Flatiron A5, as well as Kentucky KM900 and they all fit nicely.

I also have an A style in my Travelite. It fits perfectly. IMO, a great case for the money...light weight, easy to carry, a good internal storage compartment, and great protection.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

Sweet, thanks all! I'll check out the Travelite case.
    Gibson F9 2002
    Gibson A2 1922
    National RM-1
    Kentucky KM-380

Beginner

Take a look at the Gator case as well. Pretty similar to a Travelite. I might have to give the Travelite's gray plush interior a slight nod over the Gator's black plush interior, but that is a pretty minor thing.

I sprung for the Travelite; I'll let you all know how it turns out! Many thanks.
    Gibson F9 2002
    Gibson A2 1922
    National RM-1
    Kentucky KM-380

I recently picked up the Fusion Urban bag for Ukes and Mandolins. This thing is quality. It fits my F like a glove and I love that you can customize the padding on the inside.

https://www.fusion-bags.com/collecti...-tenor-ukulele

Years ago, I bought two Access Stage Three bags, one for my Rigel A+ Deluxe and one for my Mendel OM (The Access banjo model) and they are really great bags, very protective for gig bags, with movable neck rests and a lot of pockets and handles. Top notch in my book. They run about $150.00 each nowadays.

But I recently needed a gig bag for my Martin guitar on short notice, so went in Guitar Center to see what they had. I was very satisfied to find a "Road Runner" brand bag for only $49.99 that was actually very decent. They have a mandolin version for only $39.99. It's not nearly as good as the Access Stage Three bags, but for the money, I was pleased. It has decent padding, great zippers and plenty of pockets. I did not like the big ugly "red star" logo on it, but that came off with an X-acto knife in about 10 seconds.

Thanks, John. I'll check out the Roadrunner cases when I see 'em next. I have one for my guitar and I'm not a huge fan of it (I dislike how high it makes the guitar sit on my back...the headstock part of the bag consistently collides with door frames). But I hadn't seen their mando bags before.

Travelite should get here in a few days, I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Sort of for a different forum I suppose, but since you guys have been so helpful: any suggestions for a gig bag for a banjo with a 12" rim? All the bags I've found online seem to be for 11" models...
    Gibson F9 2002
    Gibson A2 1922
    National RM-1
    Kentucky KM-380

The crossrock bags are pretty decent too. I have one for my uke and banjo

https://www.long-mcquade.com/12062/G...ndolin-Bag.htm
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Hey all. For those who suggested the Travelite F case for an A-style mando -- the case arrived today and did not fit my A2 or my National mando. Like, at all. Nowhere near fitting. I'll return it and head back to the drawing board!
    Gibson F9 2002
    Gibson A2 1922
    National RM-1
    Kentucky KM-380

Looks like it's down to the Access Stage Three and the Reunion Blues Continental. Anybody had experience with both bags for comparison's sake?
    Gibson F9 2002
    Gibson A2 1922
    National RM-1
    Kentucky KM-380

Returned the disappointing Travelite case. I ordered an Access Stage 3 bag...hopefully it will fit my Gibson A2 and National RM-1. Will report back here with my review!
    Gibson F9 2002
    Gibson A2 1922
    National RM-1
    Kentucky KM-380

I have several Warwick Rockbag gigbags - banjo, mandola and mandolin (the mandola one is actually for my short-scale tenor banjo) - their "premium" range has 30mm padding and plenty of zipped pockets for your bits and pieces. Link: https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockbag_by...ckbag_152480_4

Thomann stocks them here in Europe, I'm not sure how easy they are to find in the US - although the first one I had actually came with an instrument I bought from the US so at least one must have found it's way there!
    Frank Sings But Walt Disney.
    My YouTube channel

Another vote Access Stage 3. About as padded as you can get for a bag.

Received my Access Stage 3 from Elderly yesterday (that was fast!). The level of padding is fantastic.

However, the Velcro moveable "neck" pad has dimensions that do not fit the neck of my Gibson A2. At all. The pad is thick, tall, and long (hehehe), too long for the neck of my A2, causing the headstock to be elevated, creating too much space behind the top of body of the mandolin. I tried rotating the pad sideways, which enables the headstock to *almost* fit over the top of the pad, but it's still creating an unfortunate raked angle on the mandolin, which worries me.

I should probably just replace the pad with something else a little shorter and thinner, but I'm not sure how to go about it just yet. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Gibson F9 2002
    Gibson A2 1922
    National RM-1
    Kentucky KM-380