Thread: Washburn Mandolin

Default Washburn Mandolin

Hey all,

I've been thinking about getting a new festival / traveling mandolin to replace my Morgan Monroe. On the way back from a bluegrass festival, I happened to stop into a Guitar Center to pick up some gear. I got to play a Washburn M118SWK they had (listed ~$800). It sounded okay - not much bottom end, but decent playability.

Anyone play one of these? If so, what's your experience? How long have you had it?

Default Re: Washburn Mandolin

i have no financial interest but there is one in the classifieds at half the price
    My Uncle's Stella
    The Loar 600

"I've suffered for my music-now it's your turn."--Neil Innes

I'm not a fan concerning our local GC setting up instruments. a possible rout would be to purchase there and maybe have a good luthier Or Steve at Cumberland Acoustics install a CA bridge on it. That should help with the tone aspects, and get you a quality set up to boot.

Payton

STAY AWAY. I bought one and it sank, the replacement sank, and the replacement wasn't much better. None sounded too fantastic. One of them, the middle one I think, was an experimental model that was never supposed to have left the factory! Bad mandolins and great customer service! FYI, that was 15 years ago, things may have improved since.
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by mando_dan View Post
    STAY AWAY. I bought one and it sank, the replacement sank, and the replacement wasn't much better. None sounded too fantastic. One of them, the middle one I think, was an experimental model that was never supposed to have left the factory! Bad mandolins and great customer service! FYI, that was 15 years ago, things may have improved since.
    15 years ago? And one a prototype? I would assume things have improved since, else they'd have trouble staying in business. I've read several threads about the Washburns this past year, and FWIW here's what I took away from all my reading, YMMV. First, there are many here who dislike and some strongly dislike the modern Washburn line-up. Some of the people who've posted a strong dislike for the Washburns have owned at least one, are experienced mandolinists, and own some pretty nice mandolins. Second, there are folk here who own and like their Washburns. I own the cheaper A model cousin to the one you played, the M106SWK, and I like it . . . but, I am a newbie (a little over a year), and after reading posts here, trying other mandolins, and buying an Eastman, I truly believe I could have done better than the Washburn for my $400.

My opinion is that you can do a lot better than the Washburn for $800, especially if you buy used. While my Washburn is OK for a backup (at least for now), I can't see myself ever buying another unless I play one somewhere that blows my socks off.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    My opinion is that you can do a lot better than the Washburn for $800, especially if you buy used..
    I agree.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

A nice used Kentucky KM-900 would be your best bet, around that same price, maybe a tad cheaper...A much better mandolin, some pros even use them...

Willie

The Mandolin Store runs some awesome deals on new but blemished. The blemish, if you can find it doesn't effect playibilty, and some come with a case included. Dennis and Brian do an Awsome set up. They have some great deals on used mandolins as well. Good luck and I bet you find just what your looking for regardless of the make and model.

Payton

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

I have the same model Washburn. It lives in my truck with the rest of my mandolins. The tone was dreadful at first. I did a setup and experimented with strings/picks. Pretty happy with it now. And I love the looks. I admire old wood. The sunburst orange or black lacquer finish leaves me cold. If something happens to it , that's okay. As I mentioned in another post about humidity, my mandolins suffer on the road. On the other hand , 1 or 2 get picked up every day.
    Larry
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    A nice used Kentucky KM-900 would be your best bet, around that same price, maybe a tad cheaper...A much better mandolin, some pros even use them...

Willie
    Now there's an understatement if I ever heard one. The Kentucky KM900 is worlds better than any Washburn. I would think the Washburn would be better than the Morgan Monroe, but in the $800 range you can do much better than the Washburn. Look for a new or used J Bovier, A5-T or even the A5-Special. They're far better mandolins than the Washburn. If you are able to find a KM900 in the $800 - $900 range you'll have a outstanding mandolin to play.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Lotta decent choices for $800. Vintage 40's - 60's Gibson A-40 & A-50's sell all the time on eBay for $600-800. With a little luck, sometimes you can get a teens A-1 for that kind of money. I think the Gibson would hold its value better than the Washburn.