Thread: Tape the F-holes shut!

Default Tape the F-holes shut!

I visited a respected luthier recently. The guy was working on a mandolin whose F-holes were open; all kinds of stuff could easily get inside.

Why not tape 'em shut with blue painters' tape, at least until you're done making sawdust? Just a thought...

Default Re: Tape the F-holes shut!

Why put tape on an instrument if you don't need to? A little sawdust won't hurt a thing.
    Bill Snyder

Violin makers often put wadded up newspaper down into the F holes. They are easily removed later. Not so much for sawdust but to keep the varnish from dripping down in.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Violin makers often put wadded up newspaper down into the F holes. They are easily removed later. Not so much for sawdust but to keep the varnish from dripping down in.
    Tape can pull varnish when removed, especially around edges of f holes.
    It's simple just to blow the dust out of the mandolin...
    Adrian

5. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Don, no violin maker I have ever heard of has done such a thing. For one thing the F-holes are too tight to put newspaper into and get back out. The other is that we are brushing on varnish in a very controlled manner so no drips get into the interior.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

7. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

The sawdust is what a rattlesnake needs to bed in. Leave it in there.

Charley, I know of at least 2 violin luthiers who do that. Though not a maker, I have done it myself when varnishing white instruments. The paper is easily removed with tweezers later. Worked well. However, my experience is admittedly limited and if this is not a widespread practice I defer to your expertise. I would not want to spread inaccurate information.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I had not heard of the paper thing either.. I use the heel of my hand except for the clear overcoat . but there are a lot of different ways to varnish , that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Charley, I know of at least 2 violin luthiers who do that. Though not a maker, I have done it myself when varnishing white instruments. The paper is easily removed with tweezers later. Worked well. However, my experience is admittedly limited and if this is not a widespread practice I defer to your expertise. I would not want to spread inaccurate information.
    Don, now that I think back on it, there have been a few instruments (commercial German) from the mid 20th century that I have run across that had leftover newspaper on the inside. In my experience, most varnish drips occur on the inside of the top at the bottom of the F-holes when hung up to dry. I do not discount it, as Barlycorn said, there are a lot of ways to varnish.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

if you're worried about dust or stuff in there, throw a bit of uncooked rice in there, shake it around, and upside down out the F holes. Uncooked

Leave the rattlesnake tail in there tho.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I was thinking of maybe using paper money. Wonder if that would hurt sales...

Dang it, just when I thought I had it all figured out...

I used to stuff the body with newspaper prior to varnishing. No problem pulling it out with hemostats. Problem was the ink in newspaper might run onto the wood.

Now I stuff it with paper towels. No problems.

I wouldn't use tape for fear of it pulling off little pieces of wood.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Before I built my first mandolin I read where a guy said he stuffs paper towels in his to finish them, then take them out with chopsticks. Works great!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I thought folks blew up a balloon inside the instrument - one on each side?

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

OP said "why not tape 'em shut with blue painters' tape, at least until you're done making sawdust?"
    If you are still making sawdust the tape would get in the way. It would also be in the way when you are putting finish on it.
    If you could put the tape on from the inside of the body it might work.
    Bill Snyder

Thanks for the interesting replies.

Over the last two weeks, I did my first (amateur) fingerboard leveling and refretting, which came out well. I made a lot of dust, and it made sense to me to tape my f-holes shut to keep it out.

Plus, when I pulled the tape off at the end of the job, a lot of dust and dirt that had been inside the mando came out, stuck to the tape after two weeks of jostling.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

fatt-dad is right. I've seen folks blow up two balloons inside before applying finish. When dry, you just pop the balloons and pull them out. Works great.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

21. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I have tried the ballon trick, I found it really difficult to do!
    Getting the ballon inside is easy but blowing it up was not! I guess if you had an air gun it would be a lot easier but I actually found tying a knot was next to impossible for me!
    You need to get your mouth so close to the top that you can't see what you are doing and the balloon needs to be well inflated if you want to seal the hole, but trying to tie a knot without putting a lot of force around the f hole was just to scary for me.... A bit of comedy sketch in my case!!
    (I make carbon fibre components and I use inflated balloons on variouse internal moulds with great success)

Quote Originally Posted by T-E-F View Post

Over the last two weeks, I did my first (amateur) fingerboard leveling and refretting, which came out well. I made a lot of dust, and it made sense to me to tape my f-holes shut to keep it out.
    When doing fret work I often do tape over the soundhole(s) of the instrument, and I also tape over pickups on electric instruments. This is from a repair perspective. The majority of the time I'm building an instrument however, soundholes are uncovered. Tape would get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    You need to get your mouth so close to the top that you can't see what you are doing and the balloon needs to be well inflated if you want to seal the hole, but trying to tie a knot without putting a lot of force around the f hole was just to scary for me.... A bit of comedy sketch in my case!!
    There is obviously a pressing need for an instructional video on this subject. "Balloon Inflation for the Modern Luthier"... followed by an angry exchange of letters in an obscure music journal. Who will take on this important project?!?!?
    Last edited by BradKlein; Jun-26-2016 at 10:38am. Reason: added winky, just to be safe...
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

25. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post: