Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fender (casein?) Pick

Default Re: New Fender (casein?) Pick

Well I guess I'm gonna have to buy a couple of these. Stupid new picks keep coming out...
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

[QUOTE]Tru-Shell picks are not plastic. Do not attempt to flex; keep away from moisture.[/QUOTE) This being in the add, I wonder how they do with sweat, case humidifiers ect.
    Jim Richmond

[QUOTE=Jim;1499620]
    Tru-Shell picks are not plastic. Do not attempt to flex; keep away from moisture.[/QUOTE) This being in the add, I wonder how they do with sweat, case humidifiers ect.
    Or beer!

Al

What marketing genius decided only to tell us they are 'medium', 'heavy' or 'extra heavy'? What's wrong with information that actually tells us something, like thickness in millimetres?

I wonder what the price is? Hense picks are $20....

I they follow the standard for Fender teardrop and 346 (large triangle) shaped celluloid picks, an extra heavy is around 1.15 mm and a heavy is around 1 mm.

9. The following members say thank you to Stevo75 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    What marketing genius decided only to tell us they are 'medium', 'heavy' or 'extra heavy'? What's wrong with information that actually tells us something, like thickness in millimetres?
    Fender picks have always used those generic designations. Their target demographic is clearly not the guys who notice the difference between a 1.4 and 1.5. It makes it easier for the guy selling them not to have to explain how that .1 difference will feel, also.

It could also be to cover looser manufacturing specs. No evidence of this, just a thought.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

[QUOTE=Chris Bowsman;1499646]It could also be to cover looser manufacturing specs. No evidence of this, just a thought./QUOTE]

I doubt that there's much thickness variation from one batch of picks to another within each thickness designation. It's simply extruded sheets of "plastic" or some such that get stamped into pick shapes. The results are easily reproduced from batch to batch imho.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    I wonder what the price is? Hense picks are $20....
    About $8.00 each. You can order them directly from the Fender online store. That's a bargain if they are as good as Red Bears (my current fave). I just ordered a few. I'm a sucker for a new pick - severe PAS.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

13. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    This being in the add, I wonder how they do with sweat, case humidifiers ect.
    I doubt a case humidifier would have any detrimental effect on them. But hot, sweaty hands... maybe. Fender is not saying what they're actually made of, but if they are casein as the OP questioned, they should be fine for playing. I have hotter, sweatier hands than anybody else on the planet, and I had no issues with casein picks like Papa's picks.

Leaving it in a pants pocket where it would get damp from sweat and be bent/crushed, or left in the pocket during the wash/dry cycles might be a different story, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    I they follow the standard for Fender teardrop and 346 (large triangle) shaped celluloid picks, an extra heavy is around 1.15 mm and a heavy is around 1 mm.
    Actually, the Fender Extra Heavy, which I used for years, was 1.21mm. That was listed on the Fender web site at the time I was using them.

I need to try one of these Tru-Shell picks. If they're as good as other casein picks, it would be quite a bargain.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Weren't/Aren't Red Bear picks casein as well with the same cautions?

ordered one of each to do a test drive….

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Gotta try. Thanks for sharing! I just ordered 2 extra heavy from Elderly. Cost with shipping was $14.93.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Actually, the Fender Extra Heavy, which I used for years, was 1.21mm. That was listed on the Fender web site at the time I was using them.

I need to try one of these Tru-Shell picks. If they're as good as other casein picks, it would be quite a bargain.
    I just measured a couple of mine with a digital caliper. They were 1.15 - 1.18 mm. But it doesn't matter. Let's say they're in the range of 1.15 - 1.2 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelcj View Post
    Weren't/Aren't Red Bear picks casein as well with the same cautions?
    Casein and formaldehyde
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

From their ad. - "...replicate the highly desired, unique sound of..". I have a real pre-ban shell pick - ''unique sound'' ? = yes. It sounds like a cat with it's head in a Hoover . Highly desired ? = Yes,i'f you're well into aural torture as a passtime. (That could describe my playing,but we won't go into that !).
    I'd describe the tone i get from the shell pick as 'excruciating'. The mere though of having a pick that might replicate that tone is really scary,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

21. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    I just measured a couple of mine with a digital caliper. They were 1.15 - 1.18 mm. But it doesn't matter. Let's say they're in the range of 1.15 - 1.2 mm.
    You're right, it's really not that much difference. I think the older Fender Extra Heavy were a bit thicker. I have 4 of the older mosaic pattern from the "80s and they are just a bit thicker than the newer "Shell" color. I measured one of the older ones with a micrometer and it came out to .005214, which I believe is just over 1.25mm.

Fender has not posted actual thickness in quite a while, but I think it's safe to say their Heavy and Extra Heavy designations are probably the same as they always have been.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From their ad. - "...replicate the highly desired, unique sound of..". I have a real pre-ban shell pick - ''unique sound'' ? = yes. It sounds like a cat with it's head in a Hoover . Highly desired ? = Yes,i'f you're well into aural torture as a passtime. (That could describe my playing,but we won't go into that !).
    I'd describe the tone i get from the shell pick as 'excruciating'. The mere though of having a pick that might replicate that tone is really scary,
    Ivan

I've only ever used real shell picks two times about 15 years ago. One was just as you described. It was the most awful, scratchy sound I've ever heard. The other had tone to die for. I think it all depends on how much maintenance you do on them. That's the second reason I would never use real shell. too much work to maintain a good sound. The other reason is that I really like turtles.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Fender seems to have them in stock at their online store as well. I ordered 3 of the extra heavies yesterday and got notice just now that they have shipped.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Just for the heck of it, I measured my Fender heavy 346 (shell color celluloid) and it was 0.95 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    I just ordered a few..
    Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    Fender seems to have them in stock at their online store as well. I ordered 3 of the extra heavies yesterday and got notice just now that they have shipped.
    I just placed an order too. Like you guys, I'm curious about a casein pick at a reasonable price.

I ordered the regular shape and the extra sharp version in medium; I don't like really thick picks and since these do not flex, should be fine for me.

For $8 each, I'd be more likely to buy if I could choose a color instead of having a color randomly assigned. From Fender webpage:

"Color selection is random and colors will vary"
    Technically shouldn't matter, but... For me, I keep my fave picks at key locations all throughout the house, so they're almost part of the decor. Colors matter because colors affect mood and mood can affect creativity & inspiration to play. I can see 3 of my picks from where I'm sitting right now, and if they got changed into some color that I didn't fancy, I would be less likely to want to use them. If the ONLY color available in ANY brand of picks was, say, day-glo slime green so bright it was visible from space, well I guess we'd all just have to get used to it, but that is not the case. For me, the "random color" is a dealbreaker. If the picks were 10 cents each I'd buy 20 of them & throw away the ones I didn't like. But not at $8 each. Yes, I'm a cheapskate.

An aside, I'm not against Fender; I have one of their budget electric guitars & it's wonderful, well-made for the price, accurate fretboard, nice feel to the neck, easy to play. But I was able to choose a color there.

I think these new Fender picks may come from the same source as Clayton NuTone protein picks. The material, the slightly odd colours, the packaging and price are all very similar. I have a NuTone and it is a nice enough pick, but the material isn't as smooth as a Red Bear, Hawk or Papa's pick.

Patrick

29. The following members say thank you to PseudoCelt for this post: