Thread: Custom Wegen TF140

Default Custom Wegen TF140

Less than two weeks after emailing Michel about a customized pick, I have them in hand. I couldn't decide if I wanted a TF140 or an M150, so I had him round off one of the 140 points, basically making it both picks in one. I also couldn't decide if I wanted Speed Holes or not, so I got one of each.

They're more flexible than I expected, given the thickness, but the craftsmanship is unbelievable. The holes are even countersunk on both sides. I haven't gotten to play them yet, but given the very minimal upcharge for the custom option, I'm extremely happy with his service and won't hesitate to order from him again.

Edit: I played them for about half an hour. They're less bright than the Primetone I was using, but not worlds apart. The rounded edge is obviously more subdued. Overall, I'm very happy with them.
    Last edited by MediumMando5722; May-17-2016 at 11:08am.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: Custom Wegen TF140

I'm happy that you had a good experience with Michel Wegen. I wish I could say that my experience was as good, but unfortunately it wasn't. When I contacted him several years ago, also about ordering a custom pick, it took 3 emails over a period of four weeks before I received any response at all. When I asked why he hadn't answered my emails his response to me was very nasty. Basically told me that he was very busy and he didn't have time to respond to every email. Strange way to do business, I think. I eventually did order a custom pick through Janet Davis Music and it took 7 weeks to get it. And he doubled the price, even though I ordered the picks with no bevel and no grip holes, eliminating two steps of the process. It was a excellent pick and I am happy that I bought it, but I will never deal directly with him again.

I've heard of a couple other people who have had a bad experience with him. But, like I said, I'm very happy that your experience was a good one.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin