Thread: First Mandolin: which of these 3 options?

Default First Mandolin: which of these 3 options?

Hi All,

I am new to mandolin and keen to learn. I am on a tight budget and have a few options I am considering.

1. Rogue RM-100A (approx $50 new)

2. Fender FM-53S (approx $80 lightly used)

3. Samick F-5 ($125 used)[EDIT: got the seller down to $90]

I am leaning towards the Fender, purely because it seems to be the best value for money, but I really don't know what I am talking about.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
    -David

2. The following members say thank you to dak52 for this post:

Default Re: First Mandolin: which of these 3 options?

So far, my research implies that even for $90, the Samick is not worth it, and that I would be better off with a A-style than an F-style at my (very low) budget.

The question remains then, very cheap new Rogue RM-100A or lightly used Fender FM-53S for twice the price? Any opinions are welcome, even if you think I should just stop shopping and save up until I can afford a better one. I am open to all input

Thanks

If your budget is below $100, get the Rogue, get Cafe member Rob Meldrum's free ebook on set-up and have fun.

5. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

The Fender does have a solid top which is better but I have heard Fenders are of dubious quality. I would test it first to see how well it plays. If it plays easily and sounds alright it might be worth going for it. The Rouge is a good value but will take some work to get it ready to play.

i've seen some Gretsch New yorkers used in the $130-140 price range, i would go for that. It was my first, pretty good construction and decent materials, aside from frequently faulty bridges)
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

You might also want to consider saving up another $50 and buying a Rover RM50 from Elderly Instruments. All solid wood, truss rod, bone nut. A good buy and professionally setup.

9. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Blog Entries

There is this Fender with gold hardware and a case for a very low $135-- http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fen...n-112068895.gc

My first mando was a Fender. They make good guitars. Their mandolins are a different story. They are a solid top, but pressed, not carved. The top on my Fender was lopsided. I think the Rover would be a better value.

12. The following members say thank you to JH Murray for this post:

Dave Sheets

My son had a Fender A mandolin for a while, it was surprisingly good. He got it reasonably cheap, played it for a year or so, got his Collings, and sold the Fender to a friend. Some of the other fenders I've seen have been good, others dreadful. So play it and see what you think. $80 used is pretty fair price. And do have fun!
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

14. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

At this point, I would probably go the cheapest route with the intent of upgrading when I was able, and in the meantime, learn to play the thing.

Most of the low cost mandolins function fine if they are setup. They may not sound good, but that won't stop you from learning. Setup is the critical component here.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

I'd buy this Rover RM50B refurb direct from Saga for $99
    https://reverb.com/item/1661482-used...mandolin-black

Or here's a new one for $123
    https://reverb.com/item/1377994-rove...burst-mandolin

18. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

+1 on Al's suggestion.

Hi David,
    I tried to do the same thing with my first mandolin. Cheapest is usually not the best way to go. I ended up investing about $60 to $70 to make it playable then sold it since by that time I had somewhat lost interest due to a poor quality instrument. I did not make anything on it for sure. I think I lost money on that one. Save up a little and invest in one already professionally set up like from Elderly. The Rover Rm-50 from them I would say is the best deal since it has free shipping and already set up. I am looking again and I will probably go that route if I do not sell my bass. Then once you start learning and progress invest in a more expensive unit.

Blog Entries

I would go even cheaper and ask to borrow someone's mandolin for a week or two, or to rent one for a month. Then you will either hate it, or love it so much that you can justify a bigger budget.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thanks so much everyone for all the advice. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I ended up getting the Fender FM53S. Bought it from Musician's friend for only $79 open box, so at least I can return it if I am not a fan. Because I had a little bit of store credit, it only cost me about $50 out of pocket, so fingers crossed that it will work out well enough as a first instrument. I will definitely follow your advice more closely and/or ask again when/if I am ready to upgrade. Based on how things went with guitar, if I fall similarly in love with mandolin I will be buying all solid wood within a year!

My bargain mando arrives tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited. Any recommendations for good getting started resources? Preferably free. I hope to take lessons in the future, but for now the instrument alone is throwing off my budget for the month, so I don't see any upgrades or lessons until my company's financial situation is a bit more secure

YouTube is a good place to go. Search mandolin lessons.

Check out on Youtube Don Julin, Bradley Laird, also mandolessons.com

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dak52 View Post
    ...Any recommendations for good getting started resources? Preferably free...
    Rob Meldrum's ebook on set-up; free for all Cafe members. That mando will most likely need some detailed set-up work.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

+ 1 for Mandolessons.com. I've just started playing, and have a real live teacher, but love mandolessons.com too.

Congrats. It'll change your life (for the better, not like falling off a ladder)

Some good websites for tutorials:

- http://www.mandozine.com/techniques/

- http://www.petimarpress.com/books.html

- http://www.mandolincafe.com/lessons.html

- my favorites are the books by Julin and Greg Horne which would be a bargain at 5x the price. If you get them used, make sure you get the CD for Horne's. And you can listen to Don Julin's tracks even if you don't buy the book on the internet)
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

It will definitely need a proper set-up. Will make all the difference in playability and your enjoyment in learning. Have fun...
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616