Thread: Refretting

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Refretting

How often do you refret - I know that there are way too many variables to get even a rule of thumb, but just out of curiosity - how long do your frets last?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: Refretting

Pre-EVO wire, seemed like less than 1 year was in need. And I don't play tons, maybe 5 hours a week, if that. Post-EVO, have had these frets for 10 months, hardly a blem in them. Amazing.

3. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

I got my mando new in 2003. I was band practicing weekly, and performing about 20 times a year, playing/noodling at home every day for about an hour. Those first frets only lasted less than 2 years. They were low to begin with, I thought. The next set were slightly larger frets and was a partial regret. They lasted about 3 or 4 years. Then I had them all replaced and went back to the original size fret. This second job included a fretboard planing (of which I'm still not sold on the necessity.) after another 2 years I quit playing in the band and so I have not replaced them again. The current frets are still OK but could use dressing or re-crowning as they don't note true (fretted pairs don't always match). They may be too far gone for that and it is too much trouble as well. I do fret rather hard and use heavier strings and used to have rather high action.

AND I will add, I have not been completely satisfied with the previous fret jobs I have had, though they were done by well known experts. The mandolin has come back both times with "shop wear" of various kinds. I guess I'm looking for perfection in a job that requires tearing out metal from wood, filing, hammering, and the like.

As you said, there are many variables....
    Depending on fret material,frequency of playing and technique, I see people bringing mandolins in for fretwork anywhere from one to three years. Most instruments can take two to three crown/dress jobs before needing a refret. (Assuming no other outstanding issues)

As an aside, I had one client whose body chemistry was such that he wore the area between the courses more than underneath the strings! THAT was weird....

EVO wire definitely buys you a lot more time between servicing.
    Austin Clark
    http://www.clarkmandolins.com

Clark Mandolins on Facebook

@scrollenvy on Instagram

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Thanks for your answers. I've never needed a refret. I've had my jbovier for about five years and my epiphone about 18 months. I think my 27 year old Yamaha might have had a dressing.

No details on what wire though.

Brian May's red special has never had a fret job or a truss rod adjusted.

Again I was just curious.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;