Thread: Tuning Gear Question

Default Tuning Gear Question

Would like to replace the ECONOMY tuners on my Eastman MD315 with some decent (but not too expensive) tuners. I need suggestions as to which tuners will fit without modification to the headstock. No problem redoing the screw holes, but I don't want to have make any more mods.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Tuning Gear Question

To answer this, anyone will need the measurements of the post spacing of your current tuners.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Some replacement tuners have different size bushing also and you will need to make sure they are the same size or you may have holes that are too small or too large, I had this happen on one mandolin that I wanted to change the tuners on and the owner said she didn`t want to have any bigger holes drilled to allow for the new bushing to be installed so I put it all back like it was...I am now stuck with a set of tuners that I don`t need but maybe someone will ask me to use them on some other mandolin...I`ll put them on the shelve with the other parts that I haven`t used...

By all means make some measurements and check with some parts dealers, they usually know what tuners fir what mandolins...

Willie

4. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

As others have said - measure to be sure. I replaced my MD604 tuners (economy Schaller) directly with Grover 309s. It was a drop-in fit except for the end screw holes. The new plate covered the old holes so no patching required. The Grover are a great improvement and are reasonably priced.

I replaced the tuners on an Eastman 315 with a set of Golden Age tuners from Stewart Macdonald. However in order to use the bushings supplied with the Golden age tuners I had to bush the post holes. I could have used the bushings in place from the Ping's (the tuners dropped right in) but I liked the look of the Golden Age bushings better. I think others have had no problem swapping the Ping's out with Grover's too.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

7. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post: