Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Marla Fibish Video on PegHead Nation

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Marla Fibish Video on PegHead Nation

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post

That said, I will still strongly disagree with her statement that the "favored sound" of a mandolin in this genre is an archtop oval hole. That's not been my experience, with either my own playing, or the players I've been listening to. It's unnecessarily divisive when it comes to instrument choice. Does that mean Simon Mayor and others favoring F-hole archtops are doing it wrong?
    I'd like to field that question, if i may ...

No, the answer is probably 'no' - they are not 'doing it wrong'.

For me, to say that something is 'favoured' is not to say that it's right or wrong - rather, simply that it's preferred.

BUT, you do draw up a nice (acadmeic) discussion - for a genre as niche as 'Trad' 'Irish' mandolin playing, which is only finding it's feet, it is interesting to question why something is preferred or even if it is the best option.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    I'm not going to try to ascribe one cause but if my experience of Irish musicians in a music shop is anything to go by, then price would have been up there with easy availability on the decision list.
    I'd second this and add that ignorance also has a lot to play in this.

From my experience, not a lot of people come to the mandolin as a primary instrument - those that do are not often overly knowledgable about the differences in mandolins. So, a lot of beginners end up with whatever the shops have in store.

Most music shops that i have visited in Ireland which tend to stock low-end, mass produced, mandolins (usually 150 - 300 euros). Having spoken to someone who worked in such a shop i have been informed that they have they often get the mandolins as an extra for buying a lot of guitars from various manufacturers. If they sell them it's a bonus but usually the mandolins collect dust for years before someone comes and buys them as a secondary instrument.

Most trad players i met who could play mandolin also had it as a secondary instrument - back-up to tenor banjo, bouzouki, fiddle or guitar. Most weren't too choosy as to F or A.

However, those players that i have met who have had the cash to invest in a high end instrument have all tended to favour mandolins based on those by Sobell or, a name i often hear, Joe Foley.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

I'd just like to thank all who have contributed to this thread - and of course the original video - such a treat.

oval hole, pick size, what ever she's doin it works, and it works well,
    really impressive playing.

I think the preference for a certain tone for ITM favors the oval hole vs. a more treble-biased bluegrassy tone that is prevalent for f-holes. OTOH if a player finds whatever tone they like that works fine IMHO.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

I haven't been back here to hang out in a while, but when I get back I'm always amused at the persistence of the belief that oval-hole A-model mandolins are 'best' for celtic musics. The more Irish sessions I attend the more different sorts of mandolins I see being played.

Thanks for the wonderful music, Ms. Fibish; thanks for a the good discussion, all.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

This is a fine new addition to the mandolin range, more a non-bluegrass instrument ....