Thread: Can Anyone Link me to Typical Celtic Mando Music??

Default Can Anyone Link me to Typical Celtic Mando Music??

Hey all,

I don't for sure that I have ever heard true Celtic music. Can someone give me a link to typical Celtic songs that would be played on the mandolin?
    I see that many that play Bluegrass also tend to play this style. If it is what I think it is, I'd like to try and learn some too.

Any links or help?

Thank you.

Nalajr

Default Re: Can Anyone Link me to Typical Celtic Mando Music??

"Celtic" music is a very wide category, but at the risk of oversimplifying things, on the Mandolin Cafe site here it generally refers to the instrumental traditional music of Ireland, Scotland, Cape Breton, Shetland, and related traditions.

The instrumental tunes are called "tunes," generally based on dance music. There is a separate tradition of "songs," all the way from very old Sean Nos singing to the kind of folk songs popularized by the Clancy Brothers. And there is yet another tradition in the Irish harp, typically O'Carolan as the best-known composer. And then there are the pipe tunes.... well, it's a big area.

As a starting point to hear how many different mandolin players have approached this music, check out this web site with many recorded examples you can listen to. Not everything here is "Celtic" strictly speaking, but it's a good resource:

http://music.paythereckoning.com/mandolin.html
    Last edited by foldedpath; Dec-12-2014 at 1:41am.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
    I don't for sure that I have ever heard true Celtic music. Can someone give me a link to typical Celtic songs that would be played on the mandolin?
    I am not sure what you mean. Traditional Irish and Scottish music contains a whole lot of fiddle tunes, and I play those fiddle tunes on the mandolin. I don't think there is a separate category of tunes that would be played on the mandolin.

This might be something I would do.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

4. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

You may get hints here and here and here and here.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Here is a set of three Scottish jigs, played on a ten string mandolin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR4M22Vrfrg
    David A. Gordon

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Here is an example for you.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annette Siegel For This Useful Post:

This site has loads of Celtic tunes Jigs and Reels etc, with free notation + Midi files so you can get an idea what they sound like before you learn them.
    https://thesession.org/

Nigel Gatherer runs a site for Scottish mandolin players. http://www.nigelgatherer.com/ He has a tune of the week project which includes mp3 files of each tune. Also a great Scottish mandolin section which includes technique and tunes.

I use Vashon Celtic Tunes quite a bit. The sheet music also has chords; the session (mentioned above) usually doesn't. Also the midi file comes in handy too.

Vashon Celtic Tunes: http://home.comcast.net/~saustin98/lark/

Tim Wilson

Marla Fibish and Jimmy Crowley's Morning Star...

14. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

It's been said before, but 'Celtic' music has become a catch-all term to cover music from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and parts of Spain, France, Canada and elsewhere.

In addition, a lot of contemporary music is often included, by (for example) the likes of Van Morrison or the Waterboys, or sometimes fairly new-agey stuff.

I think it is best to listen to music which defines itself as traditional Scottish or Irish as a starting point, just to get a grasp of the basics. There are in fact relatively few of us who concentrate primarily on the mandolin. Best to listen to fiddlers, pipers, accordionists and the like and take it from there.

Enjoy!
    David A. Gordon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    I think it is best to listen to music which defines itself as traditional Scottish or Irish as a starting point, just to get a grasp of the basics.
    Yes absolutely.

I love the way you said it, like a doctor's prescription, but for something that I would do anyway, something for which I set aside huge gigantic eras of my life. In general public terms, its as if you told someone: "I'm putting you on a diet of key lime pie and cheese burgers. Don't come back until you can eat a full order of fries. Oh and you might watch some more television."

There are in fact relatively few of us who concentrate primarily on the mandolin. Best to listen to fiddlers, pipers, accordionists and the like and take it from there.
    This is true. Its music, not "mandolin music".

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

[I mean that in terms of addictiveness and passion - of course traditional music is much better for you than cheeseburgers and television. Key lime pie OTOH... ]

The entire staff
    funny....

18. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Nala,

Since you live in the Houston area, you might want to get on the facebook/URL site of the O'Flaherty Retreat based out of Dallas and ask the Houstonians there for more information about sessions, lessons, and introductions to the music. In addition you might consider going to the O'Flaherty Retreat next October as there will be a mandolin class or two there most likely from a famous teacher as the OF usually has the best of the best teaching there.
    You can look up Marla Fibish and Roger Landes (recent teachers at OF) on google to find out more about mandolins and ITM. As for the rest of Celtic music, there are plenty of sites including the Song of the Week and other threads here on the cafe in the social group section that will be helpful.

Mike Keyes

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    The instrumental tunes are called "tunes," generally based on dance music. There is a separate tradition of "songs," all the way from very old Sean Nos singing to the kind of folk songs popularized by the Clancy Brothers. And there is yet another tradition in the Irish harp, typically O'Carolan as the best-known composer. And then there are the pipe tunes.... well, it's a big area.
    Just a wee mention of the pibroch tradition--of which both the pipes and harp share lineage

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post

I think it is best to listen to music which defines itself as traditional Scottish or Irish as a starting point, just to get a grasp of the basics. There are in fact relatively few of us who concentrate primarily on the mandolin. Best to listen to fiddlers, pipers, accordionists and the like and take it from there.
    And singers and dancers...totally agree

There are some fine old programs available on youtube to aid your research

22. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

I am going to be reading this section a lot and asking for help... just joined a celtic band tonight and I am clueless. They saw my vids and that I play a lot of instruments. LOL. I got their cd to work on but I looked at the huge setlist and knew 3 songs on there.. sure enjoy the music though.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    I looked at the huge setlist and knew 3 songs on there.. sure enjoy the music though.
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
    Bilbo Baggins
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

25. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post: