Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Griffith Loar 'F'

Default Re: Griffith Loar 'F'

They changed from "0"-hole to f-hole and changed the neck length (and bridge position). Our perception of design is always affected by context. Those two major changes are enough to "fool" the eye into seeing a different body shape when there is no difference in shape.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

so I'm guessing that means that the F4 and the F5 are the same body, too. To build the F5, they just took the F4 jig and put a longer neck on it and cut F-holes in it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Girouard View Post
    I too was curious and I do enjoy these little drafting exercises so drew one up in Rhino. The F5 outline is from Adrians plans, and the A5 is from the Siminoff plans. The image on the right is the quick merging of the two. I think it would look odd and out of balance.
    So I'm confused... they do look different.

How does that affect what the OP was talking about, with shapes and whatnot?

This thread has gotten way off the original point, and I probably take most of the blame!

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    so I'm guessing that means that the F4 and the F5 are the same body, too. To build the F5, they just took the F4 jig and put a longer neck on it and cut F-holes in it, right?
    Yep. They already had the tooling for the body shape.

If you're going to put the scroll on the A-style body, I'd also think about adding the upper point as well (the one opposite of the scroll closest to the headstock, i. e. the one that rests on the left leg, not the right). It looks a bit lopsided with no points, but with the one point it seems more balanced while retaining the nice rounded A shape on the bottom half by the tailpiece.

--Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00 1 point f5.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	126929

Something like this, perhaps? (It's not the Griffith A5 body, but shows a possible layout of all the added-on bits.) And to match the body, the headstock has one less point as well.

--Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Max Girouard View Post
    I too was curious and I do enjoy these little drafting exercises so drew one up in Rhino. The F5 outline is from Adrians plans, and the A5 is from the Siminoff plans. The image on the right is the quick merging of the two. I think it would look odd and out of balance.
    That's what I'm after, thankyou. I agree it looks out of balance. So part 2 of my question was how to go about doing it "right".

Mandolin & Mandola maker

I have not seen the Loar A5 in person, but some years ago Lynn Dudenbostle had it for some fret work and he sent me some pictures, measurements and description of the arching etc. I compared it to my Gibson A oval hole and everything fitted. They did take their existing A style and fitted a longer neck and F soundholes, no doubt about it.

Now, about putting a scroll and points on the A5 body. Why would you do it? Does not make any sense to me at all.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Quote Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
    Now, about putting a scroll and points on the A5 body. Why would you do it? Does not make any sense to me at all.
    They probably just wants a quasi-F5 but with the rounder oval A proportions.

--Tom

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    That's what I'm after, thankyou. I agree it looks out of balance. So part 2 of my question was how to go about doing it "right".
    One possibility would be to go to design school and learn about design from the ground up, another is to do what I do; keep drawing and adjusting until it looks right to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Coletti View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00 1 point f5.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	126929

Something like this, perhaps? (It's not the Griffith A5 body, but shows a possible layout of all the added-on bits.) And to match the body, the headstock has one less point as well.

--Tom
    I think that is the ticket! Great idea. It reminds me of a two point (Jethro) that grew up!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I've been playing this for 9 years now. Built by Steve Holst.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HolstC5.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	126931

Leon

12. The following members say thank you to LeonEvans for this post: