Thread: Setting or Changing String Action

Default Setting or Changing String Action

I'm thinking of getting a string action gauge from Stew Mac to help me set my action more accurately. I'm looking at the version in inches and the version in metric scale and wondering if one would be easier to use and /or more helpful than the other. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated....thanks!

Mike

Default Re: Setting or Changing String Action

For hundreds of years folks, professional and amateur haven't used these. I can't imagine what their advantage would be over adjusting by eyeball and manually testing the string and its action. Although there may be some advantage that I don't know about as I am an amateur, not a professional.

You have three choices: 1. Action set for best tone. ( this maybe too high for some ) 2. Action set for best playability. (this may effect tone/volume) 3. Action set for best of both worlds. - All three cannot be set "more" accurately with a action gauge. It is done with trial and error. I do not even know what the cost of the gizmo is but there are way better things to spend the cash on. Of course this is just my opinion.

I agree with all of the above...I have set up plenty of mandolins and I usually ask the owners if they want ease of playing or a louder and better tone, most newbies want ease of playing while the old timers want better tone, I have never used or even heard of a string action gauge...Trial and error is the best by far...LIVE AND LEARN....

Willie

I would think that a string action gauge would be helpful for measuring the neck relief and the action height at the nut, as well as at the 12th fret. As a tool for setting up one's instrument, it could be a worthwhile investment.
    When 'good enough' is more than adequate.

I have one I got on Amazon for $7. In itself it makes no difference but it can measure action very easily and accurately in both standard and metric. The numbers make it a lot easier to communicate with others (like on a forum) about action. They also come in handy as a wallet sized measuring device for anything small.
    Last edited by bingoccc; Oct-31-2014 at 1:46pm.

7. The following members say thank you to bingoccc for this post:

I see that there's a nut slotting gauge available as well...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bingoccc For This Useful Post:

To answer your question specifically, if you can't get the gauge in both standard and metric, get metric, and share your observations with this forum. May not really help with the set up but it seems like a fun tool to own.

I own the Stew-Mac gauge and am glad I have it. I don't necessarily use it to set my string height to specific measurements, as I agree each instrument should be dialed in for the intended player by feel/ear. But it is excellent for getting you in the ballpark if for whatever reason everything is way off to start. Even more useful for electric instruments with more precisely adjustable saddles. It makes a great small straightedge for checking relief, fret height issues, etc. And of course it's just a nice convenient overall measuring device for anything. If it's not gonna break the bank, go for it.
    Blow on, man.

13. The following members say thank you to spufman for this post:

I have two of these (both in inches). While I love the metric system, most everything we deal with in the USA (with fretted instruments), is in inches.

I would hate to be without the string gauge, but it is pricey and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for occasional use or just to check string height. A cheap ruler will do fine for string height. In a fast paced environment where you may be measuring all sorts of things (that do not exceed 3") and may need to measure in thousandths or 64ths without worrying about converting, the thing is priceless.

The conversion chart on the back saves time as well. And like Spufman, I sometimes use it as a straightedge on less critical parts. It will work as a fret rocker on some frets as well.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

15. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post: