Thread: Beginner

Default Beginner

My 15 year old son plays guitar and bass and has decided he wants to take up the mandolin. I want to get this as a gift for him but I have no idea where to start. I have done a little research and found a few recommendations the Kentucky 160 254 256 or the Loar LM-220. I have found the Kentucky 256 for $400 including case and set up. I have no idea on what to spend or what I should look for so any suggestions on these or any others would be appreciated...

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Beginner

Depending on what he's interested in playing, maybe check into the J.Bovier A5-T from Kyle at the MandoShop www.mandoshop.com I'm very pleased with mine, as are lots of other folks around the cafe. I find them a notch above in terms of fit and finish, tone, and playability from anything close to the price point. That stays within the F hole style. Also a lot of love here for the Mid-Missouri/ Big Muddy oval hole style.http://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/ Extremely well-built, American oval-hole design. Again, a lot of mando for the money.
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

I am not being cynical when I say it almost doesn't matter what brand you choose as long as it is a serious mando an not a toy. The mentioned Kentucky and The Loar have both received good reviews. Any new mando must be set up for playing. They are normally awful if not properly set up after the factory. You must ask if the instrument is set up and hold them to it. That is the advantage of buying from an actual dealer and not a mail order discounter. The instrument dealer is responsible to see that your mando is properly set up while a discounter couldn't care less, Hold the dealer to it. In the $400-$500 range either of those choices should be good to get your son started. Once he becomes comfortable with playing and shows long-term interest he will likely want something else but that is several years down the line and by then he may have ideas of his own as to brands and style of mando.

15 years old is a great age to start.

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    The instrument dealer is responsible to see that your mando is properly set up while a discounter couldn't care less, Hold the dealer to it.
    Well, maybe yes & maybe no. There are plenty of small dealers that don't do good setups & there are a number of "discounters" that do great setups. I've gotten 2 mandos from The Mandolin Store, an online "discounter," that have had absolutely great setups as well as low prices. I got my Breedlove from an "instrument dealer" that included a setup, but I had it re-setup shortly after I got it because, while it played OK (Breedloves are setup pretty well from the factory), I knew from my experiences with TMS it could be better.

There are plenty of "discounters" that support the Cafe & do great setups & service.

Just sayin' . . .

Frank

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MASON_49 View Post
    I have found the Kentucky 256 for $400 including case and set up. I have no idea on what to spend or what I should look for so any suggestions on these or any others would be appreciated...
    Elderly has a very nice starter set built around the Kentucky KM150 for $299 set up and shipped: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DEAL4.htm.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Thanks for all the quick replies. Based on all your recommendations and the fact that this will be his first mandolin I have come down to three choices and I would like to hear your opinion on all three. KM150, KM250 and LM-170. All three are the same price including setup. A bag is included with the KM150 so another $60 bucks on the last two.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...st.asp?brand=9
    You can trust these folks to properly setup any mandolin you order from them. They have the Kentucky @ 399.00$. A good solid choice for a beginner instrument. Insofar as a bag instead of a case don't do it. Instruments come in a hard case for a very good reason. Luck... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

The km 250 for 299. Is the older version and I've heard from two dealers that , while its a great buy at that price , the new km150 has better tone.