Thread: busking amp + single mic?

Default busking amp + single mic?

Hi folks, earlier in the year i was asking about single mic's for our small group and we ended up getting a MXL 990 which seems good for what we do. We are playing outside more now though, and so far just 'unplugged' outside.
    I'm just looking at options for single mic and also some amplification - just a sort of buskers amp for small groups outdoors. but i cant find an amp that has phantom power for the mic.
    This is one amp that has been recommended to me, but doesnt have phantom power.
    I'm trying to keep it simple and avoid carrying a mixer and pile of gear, etc. we just play for fun.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_k...bb538328a2b268

I'm a bit of a numpty with these things so if i'm trying to do something that wont work, just say
    Any suggestions?
    thanks

Default Re: busking amp + single mic?

i do have a blue icicle phantom power USB but not sure that helps. ?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I am quite happy with a Vox acoustic combo and a condenser mic.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

4. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

I'd look at getting an Audix OM2 mic (Shure 58 type) and a Fishman Loudbox.

There are a number of recent Cafe threads on this topic with other ideas too.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

6. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Your question begets questions. Are you talking about a powered outdoor gig or an unpowered one? If powered the Fishman suggestion is a good one. Phantom power can be supplied by a single additional piece of equipment in line between the mic and the amp. So that will not add too much gear to the system. If you are talking about an unpowered ie. battery powered situation then the answer is essentially the same for the mic. 9v battery powered phantom voltage is available. Here's one option that covers both situations. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FY5r7AodwTIA5w
    For amplification in a battery powered setup check into Roland battery powered amps......... Luck... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

8. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

A page of all the Roland stuff that runs off a Battery http://www.rolandus.com/products/category/456

Channel Islands use British Wall Plugs or Europe's?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

10. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Blog Entries

If you have never tried a LD condenser outdoors, try it first before committing to that route. I recommend a slightly breezy day for the test.....

If you like the "look and feel" of a single mic, you could also consider an "Elvis mic"...or modern day equivalent.

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...cal-microphone

No phantom required, they are quite wind/moisture resistant, and tough as old boots - ideal for outdoors. Will work right away with most acoustic amps. There is a cheaper version by Superlux which is surprisingly good too:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_wh5.htm

Your amp choice really does come down to whether you will have access to mains power, also budget, of course.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

12. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    If you have never tried a LD condenser outdoors, try it first before committing to that route. I recommend a slightly breezy day for the test.....
    I didnt even think of that - and its ALWAYS windy here!
    Thanks for the pointers guys, yes we do generally have mains [uk plugs not european]. i will look more into the mic side of things as that seems to be my biggest problem. just trying to keep to single mic though.
    cheers.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

You'll need one of those microphone windscreens that look like cute furry animals.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I've used a MXL 900-series mic outdoors with a standard foam windscreen, didn't have a significant wind noise problem.

ART made (makes?) a little two-channel phantom power unit that works off two 9v batteries. I have one and have used it several times with condenser mics, with satisfactory results. Don't know what the battery life is on it, but it provided 48v phantom for several hours to a single mic when I was using it. Can't seem to find it listed on line, but as I recall it cost about $30. Accepted XLR connectors only, so if you're planning to use it with an amp that has quarter-inch sockets you should get a line transformer (another $15 or so).

I have no hesitation about using these condenser mics outdoors -- do it frequently -- but do need to be aware of their sensitivity to ambient noise, and their potential to produce feedback. Right now my standard solo setup is a MXL 910 for vocal, and a Behringer C-2 for instrument, plugged into my Fishman SA-220. Main wind-noise issue is from the C-2, rather than the MXL, but the little windscreens that come with the C-2's are fairly effective.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

16. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

Whether you can make it work depends on a lot of things. The most effective windshields are the "big hairy" ones by Rycote... but using one on stage would look kind of odd... like you were singing at a dead cat...

The foam ones will offer some assistance in certain conditions, but still allow a lot of very low frequency and subsonic 'rumble' though. Even if you can't hear it a lot, it's there, and eating up your amps power output and 'muddying' things up. You need a very steep HP filter to cut it out, or at least most of it.

The diaphragm is very exposed on most LD condensers, and they tend not to have any integral protection. If I have to use one outdoors, I've had by far the best results with the Shure KSM-32 and KSM-44's. They are one of the few LD condensers really well suited to live work, with an excellent shock mount and really good protection around the diaphragm. Nice sounding mics, too.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny250 View Post
    Hi folks, earlier in the year i was asking about single mic's for our small group and we ended up getting a MXL 990 which seems good for what we do. We are playing outside more now though, and so far just 'unplugged' outside.
    I'm just looking at options for single mic and also some amplification - just a sort of buskers amp for small groups outdoors. but i cant find an amp that has phantom power for the mic.
    This is one amp that has been recommended to me, but doesnt have phantom power.
    I'm trying to keep it simple and avoid carrying a mixer and pile of gear, etc. we just play for fun.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_k...bb538328a2b268

I'm a bit of a numpty with these things so if i'm trying to do something that wont work, just say
    Any suggestions?
    thanks
    I have an older Crate 60W amp with phantom that works well for me. I think the newer 30W version also has phantom.
    I know almost nothing about PAs, but my old-time group uses a small PA with 2 speakers and accessories, that all packs up into a hard-sided nylon case about 1x2x3. I think the advantage of a small PA is that you can hear yourselves better with a speaker on either side, and it allows for multiple mics if desiered. With a single amp directed away from your mic, you tend to hear very little amplified sound.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

19. The following members say thank you to acousticphd for this post:

I use an ART Tube MP pre amp between my mxl 990 and a few different acoustic amps and PAs that don't have or don't have enough Phantom power.
    Jim Richmond

21. The following members say thank you to Jim for this post: