Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenor Guitar for GDAE Irish Tunes recommendations?

Default Tenor Guitar for GDAE Irish Tunes recommendations?

Hi all - I've been considering adding a tenor guitar to my collection. I have a superb Paddy Burgin octave mandolin with a 540 mm (21.25") scale length...and recently played a Weber short scale octave that had a 20" scale length that I liked a lot. There have been many threads on the short scale tenor guitars before - I believe Regals, SS Stewarts, Fletchers, and some others have similar short scale lengths.

My main question is how well do any of these short-scale tenors work for playing melody in an Irish session? I know that many like the Martin O-18T and Blueridge BR-40Ts seem popular...but they are longer scale lengths. What recommendations do you have for short-scale tenor guitars that are really good for Irish traditional music?

Thanks!

Dave
    Keith Newell "Roger Landes" model mandolin
    1917 Gibson A-1 mandolin
    Paddy Burgin short-scale (21.25") octave mandolin/bouzouki
    Dermot McIlroy AS-16
    1920s German fiddle

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Tenor Guitar for GDAE Irish Tunes recommendations?

The new Karla has a 21.25 scale http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...e-in-September
    You can play irish style melody in CGDA on a tenor and it still sounds great, but it might just take a lilltle experimenting to get the right strings in GDAE.
    Considering that Gerry O'Connor mainly plays CGDA tuned tenor banjo, instead of the usual Irish tuning GDAE & he must be one of the greatest Irish banjo player alive.
    Last edited by fox; Aug-01-2014 at 1:34am.

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    The new Karla has a 21.25 scale http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...e-in-September
    You can play irish style melody in CGDA on a tenor and it still sounds great, but it might just take a lilltle experimenting to get the right strings in GDAE.
    Considering that Gerry O'Connor mainly plays CGDA tuned tenor banjo, instead of the usual Irish tuning GDAE & he must be one of the greatest Irish banjo player alive.
    Agree! As far as GDAE strings go, Elderly (NFI) has packaged a GDAE tenor guitar string set for the Breedlove tenor which works great on my Blueridge tenor.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

I use and like those Elderly Breedlove sets.
    But, I have a Breedlove and they have 25" scales.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

If I were you, I'd track down a National tricone tenor guitar from the 30s, since you are US based. masses of volume, tone, cool looks, sustain, and an octave below all the fiddles/flutes/whistles/melodeons. The best for session tenor fun, in my opinion. Or a single cone one, honkier and bluesier, but really great too.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

Kevin, I love your playing and both National tenors. I probably like the tricone the most but it's hard to tell from a video.

8. The following members say thank you to bruce.b for this post:

I wonder if my session mates would shoot me if I showed up with a resonator guitar. How do you mute one of those? I'm sure that they would harm me if I didn't mute my banjo, and the guitar is even MORE "in your face" than a tenor banjo.

Nice playing, by the way.
    Mike Snyder

10. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    I wonder if my session mates would shoot me if I showed up with a resonator guitar. How do you mute one of those? I'm sure that they would harm me if I didn't mute my banjo, and the guitar is even MORE "in your face" than a tenor banjo.
    If your session mates turn up with guns at the session, how much worse could an RTG be?
    A banjo will still be louder than a resonator instrument, so the resonator should be welcome.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

Mike - One of the things really different and accentuated on any resonator guitar, the pick placement can really change the sound and attack of the notes being played. Kevin is playing really close to the bridge and the initial sound is very bright and - um - large. If you play closer to the fretboard, the sound is 'fatter' and no where near as bright. The other thing you can do is a light palm damp with the right hand which actually defeats the idea of a resonator but may be more socially acceptable in some circumstances.

Also - your pick choice may be a factor. Many sessions can get out of control regarding speed of playing, volume and even musicality. But that often depends on the amount of Guiness being consumed and the phase of the moon.
    Mandola fever is permanent.

>>My main question is how well do any of these short-scale tenors work for playing melody in an Irish session? I know that many like the Martin O-18T and Blueridge BR-40Ts seem popular...but they are longer scale lengths. What recommendations do you have for short-scale tenor guitars that are really good for Irish traditional music?<<

Is the session loud? Volume will be a problem with tenor guitar if it is, which is why a resonator tenor will work better at a big session.
    I have a Blueridge BR40-T and a tenor with a 21.25" scale. The 21 incher is a much better instrument and is louder and cuts through better than the BR40-T. It's also easier to play fast melodies on it. I can handle a 23" scale, but I'm going to stick with shorter scale tenor guitars unless something like a Collings tenor falls in my lap. I'd make an exception for that.
    I use 48, 34, 24 & 14 gauge strings for GDAE on a 21.25 inch scale. GDAE is all I play and it works great for everything.

Bruce - the session is not loud...nice small group with a couple fiddles, button box, and two of us who trade off on mandolin, guitar, and bodhran. What kind of tenor is your short scale? I've played the BR40T and GoldTone TG18...both were nice, but I would prefer the shorter scale and an all wood instrument.

Thanks for the discussion and ideas, all!
    1917 Gibson A-1 mandolin
    Dermot McIlroy AS-16
    1920s German fiddle

Quote Originally Posted by dmcginnis View Post
    Hi all - I've been considering adding a tenor guitar to my collection. My main question is how well do any of these short-scale tenors work for playing melody in an Irish session? I know that many like the Martin O-18T and Blueridge BR-40Ts seem popular...but they are longer scale lengths. What recommendations do you have for short-scale tenor guitars that are really good for Irish traditional music?

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I had a Blueridge for about a year and played it regularly in sessions and it worked fine -- no problem cutting through. I have tried some of the shorter tenors, especially the Fletcher, but what I don't like about them for Irish tuning is that it is very difficult to get a good full sound out of the low G string. I used a .045 phosphor bronze on the Blueridge, with its 22.875" scale and even on that longer scale length it was a bit tubby sounding. I really like using the low G on tenor banjo so this was a bit disappointing to me. With a shorted scale this will be even more pronounced as it will need an even heavier string.

Hi Dave,
    It's a Herb Taylor archtop. I love it and one of the reasons is, IMO, it has a great low G. It has a unique tone that seems to stand out.

17. The following members say thank you to bruce.b for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.b View Post
    Hi Dave,
    It's a Herb Taylor archtop. I love it and one of the reasons is, IMO, it has a great low G. It has a unique tone that seems to stand out.
    Well, that makes sense. Herb does great work. :-)

19. The following members say thank you to zoukboy for this post:

http://www.herbtaylor.com/videos/i179.mp4

Here is a good example of one. I believe this one is still for sale. The guy playing it, whomever it is, is really good. Is it in an open tuning? Would you happen to know, Roger?

21. The following members say thank you to bruce.b for this post:

You know, Herb Taylor builds great instruments...now, if he could build in Roger's talent directly into the instrument so I would sound that good, it would really help a hack like me!

Cheers,
    Dave
    1917 Gibson A-1 mandolin
    Dermot McIlroy AS-16
    1920s German fiddle

23. The following members say thank you to dmcginnis for this post:

Another vote for Herb Taylor. I have #173, a tenor guitar especially made for the GDAE tuning and it is great! It is not a short scale, but I don't think that a short scale tenor guitar can put out the power and tone that this one does. I learned to play it with cello fingering and have had no problems.

Herb is very easy to work with and should be at the O'Flaherty Retreat in October this year. BTW, Roger is teaching there too, so don't miss it.

Mike Keyes

25. The following members say thank you to mikeyes for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.b View Post
    http://www.herbtaylor.com/videos/i179.mp4

Here is a good example of one. I believe this one is still for sale. The guy playing it, whomever it is, is really good. Is it in an open tuning? Would you happen to know, Roger?
    Ahem... uh... that's me playing, Bruce. ;-)

The tuning for that clip is GCGDG, IIRC. (up a 4th from DGDAD).

27. The following members say thank you to zoukboy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyes View Post
    Another vote for Herb Taylor. I have #173, a tenor guitar especially made for the GDAE tuning and it is great! It is not a short scale, but I don't think that a short scale tenor guitar can put out the power and tone that this one does. I learned to play it with cello fingering and have had no problems.

Herb is very easy to work with and should be at the O'Flaherty Retreat in October this year. BTW, Roger is teaching there too, so don't miss it.

Mike Keyes
    Sounding good, Mike!

Yeah, I agree that Mike sounds great. I've never tried an arch-top tenor...how does an arch-top compare to a flat-top?

Well done, Mike!

Cheers,
    Dave
    1917 Gibson A-1 mandolin
    Dermot McIlroy AS-16
    1920s German fiddle

Dave,

Generically archtops and flat top guitars have a different sound. Archtops are more on the treble side and cut through noise a little better while flat top guitars are more likely to mix in more and have more of a bass side. Of course, there are so many exceptions to this statement that my head will start spinning to name them.

The best way for you to decide is to play each one of them (which you should do anyway if you are going to spend that kind of money) and then listen to someone of your skill level play the instruments since the experience is very different at the receiving end, especially with an archtop.

I happen to like the cedar top on my flat top but I may not have been as enamored with a spruce top so I went with my ears. I liked the two arch top tenor guitars that Herb had but like #173 the best. If I could have afforded it, I would have taken all three, they were that good.

I think that any Herb Taylor instrument will be top quality and you could easily adapt to either style. Herb builds one-off instruments most of the time so every one has a personality all its own. He can build to your specifications, but frankly most musicians are not so attuned to the instruments that they would know exactly what they want. His instruments are rich with musical and tonal surprises and it has been a blast to explore #173.

I know I haven't answered your question very well, but is all is a matter of taste at this level.

Mike

31. The following members say thank you to mikeyes for this post:

Here is my take right after I bought the guitar.

Mike

33. The following members say thank you to mikeyes for this post:

fox 

I think we need to have an Irish tenor guitar confab at O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat in October. Whaddayall think?

http://www.oflahertyretreat.org/

Roger,

Sounds good to me!

Mike

36. The following members say thank you to mikeyes for this post:

Does anyone have comment on the 20s era Regal tenor guitar? Thanks!
    1917 Gibson A-1 mandolin
    Dermot McIlroy AS-16
    1920s German fiddle