Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bang for your dollar

Default bang for your dollar

which of these two mandolins do you think give you the most bang for the buck, the Rover RM-50 or the Eastman MD305. an if had to do an upgrade to one of these mandolins what would you do ,thanks & have a happy Easter Tony.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: bang for your dollar

You're comparing two different price points, with a ~$180 instrument versus a ~$480 one, and asking two very different questions, bang for the buck versus upgrade. In one sense, the Rover is the most instrument for the money, as it is a solid wood instrument for under $200, but it's hard for me to imagine approaching it as an upgrade purchase. If you're in the market for a solid wood import in the sub-$500 category, you might also want to consider the Kentucky KM-150 http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=8697 or the Jbovier A5 http://www.themandoshop.com/pages-jb...11404-469.html, both of which have their fans in his forum.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

3. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

If you need to upgrade to one of these, it means you're playing spoons.

For a good entry level mandolin, I would at least look hard at the Kentucky 150 and the Eastman md305. Individuals can vary more in this range but at least I know there are some good instruments in these models.

There are plenty here that started with a well set up rover and are proud of them but I have no first hand experience with one.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

The Rover RM-50 and Eastman MD305 aren't really comparable, are they? The MD305 is about 5 times the price of the RM-50, and has an actual spruce top, where the RM-50 is laminate.

The MD305 is clearly the better instrument between the two, and worth the extra investment.

Blog Entries

If you can afford both, I would go with the Eastman. The best bang for your buck often depends on how many buck's you have to bang.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

was looking for a beater & I am sorry I thought the Rover was a solid top mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    was looking for a beater & I am sorry I thought the Rover was a solid top mandolin.
    It is. According to the Saga site the entire mandolin solid.

http://www.sagamusic.com/products/pr...spx?item=RM-50
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

that's what I read, thanks Mike. my question still stands. what do you think.

If you want a beater buy the cheap one.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

12. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Mike I hear you I guess what I want to know is how much better is the Eastman over the Rover & how good is the Rover. I want a mandolin I can take to the park & work & not worry about it. but I still want a good sounding mandolin. again bang for the buck.

If I was looking for the better sounding instrument I'd buy the Eastman. If I was looking for something I didn't care if it got destroyed I'd probably buy a $50.00 Rogue off Musicians Friend. Anything within reason can be made playable.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

15. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

... mandolin I can take to the park & work & not worry about it.
    If being expendable is part of the equation, I'd go for the cheapest: the Rover. My RM-35 "blem" serves that purpose nicely for me. Sound is okay and, after some setup work, it feels and plays like, well, a mandolin.

If long-term value is important, then the answer might be different.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

thanks Ed for your feed back. but I would like to get a solid wood mandolin.

I want a mandolin I can take to the park & work & not worry about it.
    The park and work do not sound like overly hostile mandolin environments. I think we often try to "baby" our instruments too much instead of getting them out and letting them do their thing. I don't have "beater" mandolins anymore, I beat on my main mandolin and it seems to like it that way. Plus, in the ultra rare instance I see a mandolin being played in a park, I would be overjoyed to see an old Gibson, or Gil, Heiden, etc. rather than a "beater"!?

Sean

I've never played an Eastman that I liked!!!!! I've played 20 or so. I've never played a Kentucky that I didn't like! I got a KM150 yesterday for a client and that little thing was incredible for the money. And at any price point I think Kentucky mandolins play better and feel better.

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

I had a Rover 50. Got it not that long ago from one of the vendors who participate here, was set up well and played okay. Did change the strings to GHS 250s when I gave it to a granddaughter, and it seemed to play better with the lighter strings. For the price (paid $141 incl. shipping) it's about as economical as you can get.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It is. According to the Saga site the entire mandolin solid.

http://www.sagamusic.com/products/pr...spx?item=RM-50
    Huh, my bad. I tinkered with one of these last year at a Guitar Center (what a waste of an afternoon), and I could swear it was a laminate top. Guess I was confusing it with another of their models. (?)

Still, I didn't find any Rover models that played or sounded worth the price tag on them.

Even though it is SOLID, I do not think they are CARVED tops. I think the cheap-o starter I got was all solid woods but it was a pressed top (or something like that).
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

On this listing at musicians friend for a Rogue F style it specifically lists the features as:

F-style body
    Steam pressed spruce top
    Steam pressed maple back and sides
    24-fret neck
    Extended rosewood fingerboard
    Nickel tuners
    Mother-of-pearl headstock inlay
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

"solid" wood does not mean it isn't laminated wood and certainly does not mean carved top. "carved" is what you need to look for. Price alone will tell you a lot about the quality. Rovers are fine beginner instruments, but are definitely entry-level. They can certainly be an adequate "beater".
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I called Saga. They say the Kentucky KM-150 has a hand carved solid wood top and back. Their web site also make the same claim.
    oldieone

A young man just recently joined our group and he owns an Eastman MD 305. I am very impressed with the sound of this instrument. I have owned an Eastman 915 and and a 500 series mandolin and this 305 puts both to shame. Very loud and a nice sound.

I've played a few mid-level Eastman's and while they're decent for the money, none have even come close to the tone of ANY of the four J Bovier's that I have played, including my A5. There is now a A5T model that is essentially the same as mine, only with single ply binding and a maple back with slightly less flame. My opinion is, if you can afford the Eastman MD305, you would get a much better mandolin if you went with the J Bovier A5T ($469). Mine is not just good, it's outstanding!!
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Elderly sells the RM-50 for $155, says it's all solid wood, and I have confidence in their description. They call it an "excellent value" and for the price it probably is. Top and back are pressed rather than carved, and there's undoubtedly a lot less hand-work in the RM-50 than in the Eastman MD305.

Is the Eastman worth three times what the Rover costs? That's an individual judgment. I'd never call a $500 mandolin a "beater," nor would I "not worry about it" if I had it out in a park, etc.

Also: OP asked about the difference between the Eastman and the Rover. I'm sure there are Cafe´members who really like the Kentucky KM-150, the JBovier, and doubtless other instruments, but let's start by answering the question as posed, before we start offering a slew of other alternatives...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

29. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    A young man just recently joined our group and he owns an Eastman MD 305. I am very impressed with the sound of this instrument. I have owned an Eastman 915 and and a 500 series mandolin and this 305 puts both to shame. Very loud and a nice sound.
    What yankee says . The MD305 is the best Eastman I've heard and I've been lucky enough to own one AND play many many other models in the Eastman line. Jammers were VERY impressed . Saying that , though , I sold it and bought a KM-150 Kentucky ..it sounded better , I thought, and was half the price ( under 300.00 case included ) . ...amazing price for a solid wood mandolin that looks and sounds VERY impressive . Check out Adam's KM-150 demo on the MANDOLIN STORE website . The RM50 may be just as impressive ....never played one so I can't comment . But for 150 bucks it may just be perfect . I'd also give a thumbs up to the Epiphone mm30 for a very reasonable 180.00 .