New Member, new to mandolin, Greetings from Asbury Park!

1. GASguy
    GASguy
    Greetings All,

Well, I am just a half hour north of Asbury Park!

Hello, I am Ron from the central NJ Bayshore.

I am a long time acoustic guitar player who branched out to electric guitar about twenty years ago.

About ten years ago I started playing ukulele.

I have wanted to take up mandolin for the past 5 years or so, but a busy schedule, including a full time job, part time job working with special needs individuals, and also being a part time grad student have delayed taking the plunge.

Well I recently finished all my academic and clinical requirements for grad school, only 2 big high stakes tests left to go, so I took the plunge.

I found a beautiful 2012 Breedlove limited Premier FF mandolin at a reputable west coast instrument shop I have purchased from 4 times in the past, and since I was looking for a 1-3/16 nut width instrument this seemed like the right moment.

In the past, I have been a stand in front of the microphone, play chords and sing kind of performer, I hope to become more of an instrumentalist with the mandolin.

I have already learned a lot from the forum, and I am very excited to be here with the hope I can learn a lot more.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hi GASguy, welcome. Is that GAS as in Guitar Acquisition Syndrome or is it gas as in why they call me an old toot?

If you've been hanging around, you probably already know the evershifting, but always, motley crew.
  3. GASguy
    GASguy
    Guitar Aquisition Syndrome originally, but now including amps, a Bose PA system, ukuleles, and now a mandolin, I guess Gear Acquisition Syndrome is more appropriate.
  4. mee
    mee
    Welcome GASguy! Interesting name, my spell corrector nearly had fun with that one good luck with the thought of standing back to be an instrumentalist, I took up mandolin because I never felt I could stand in front of a Mic and sing , but quickly learned that isn't how it works. I have been put front and center with a mic on vocals and mandolin.
  5. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Welcome, don't be afraid to ask us anything. We learn from each other
  6. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I think you'll fall in love with the mandolin, it's a common malady that afflicts curious guitar players, I've noted.
  7. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Welcome GASguy.
  8. Bonniej
    Bonniej
    Welcome - great looking mandolin! Good choice.
    Bonnie
  9. bbcee
    bbcee
    The only problem with this forum, and the mandolin player community in general, is that they're such jerks. Enjoy yourself here!!
  10. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Hi ya GASguy. Welcome to our wacky little corner of the forum. Glad you have joined us.