Lonesome Moonlight Waltz

1. jamann
    jamann
    Here's a cool Monroe tune that I thought I'd add to list of tunes. I'm new to this social group but I like what I see. This is a good one!

Hope I did this Monroe tune some justice.

jamann
  2. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Love this one! Nicely played.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jamann, that was very nice! Do you have a link to any TAB or notation for that tune? Thanks for joining our group!
  4. jamann
    jamann
    Barbara, sorry I don't. I learned this tune from Jeremy Chapman (from the Chapmans) and I have tab hand written on paper. Not sure how to transcribe, transpose, or whatever it takes to put on tefView. I have the free version so I don't even think it's possible.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jamann, do you have access to a scanner? If so, you can just scan the TAB, save as a jpg, and send it to me (I'll send you my e-mail addy) and I'll get it up here for you...
  6. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Found tab here

and here at AllTabs It didn't display right for me, but if I go in and check 'Notation" AND 'Tab' then it seems to fix it.

I also have it in one of my books; if anyone wants it, PM me your email. It will be a 3 page .pdf
  7. jamann
    jamann
    Barbara,
    I will scan tab and send it to you.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Tab courtesy Jamann

9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jamann, you said you could record another video played a little slower, that would be great....
  10. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    that's an awesome tab with that mandolin headstock
  11. GTG
    GTG
    Steady as a freight train, jamann - nice work.
  12. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    I'm pretty sure I have Mike Compton's transcription of this tune. I'll look and see.

And nice work Jamann
    Don
  13. Andy Alexander
    Andy Alexander
    Good stuff Jamann. I think your tab just about nails it. What is the chord progression? It sounds like it could be tough to figure out. Thanks!
  14. jamann
    jamann
    Dm, F, Dm, G, A, Dm, F, Dm, C, F, Dm, F, G, C, C#m, Dm, F, Dm, C, F, repeat
  15. Andy Alexander
    Andy Alexander
    Thanks Jamann for your quick response. The C#m would have taken me a while to figure out!
  16. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    I've been wanting to record this one for awhile.....and what's a better time then when you get to play a friends Duff F5!!! Please disregard the 3rd cycle of the tune when I go up an octave and end up walking away from the video!!!

17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice job there Rob. Playing the Mississippi Waltz this week reminded me of this, another bluesy Bill Monroe waltz in F (well D minor kind of F).

18. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Those are great new additions to this thread Rob and David. I've been thinking of that song too this week.

That mandolin has a really lovely sound, Rob. What are the odds you get to borrow it for a few days?
  19. jamann
    jamann
    OS, Impressive as always. I really liked that. Well played!
    Rob, I like your different take on this tune. Very nice!
    I haven't played this tune in a long time. May just have to grab the mando and give it a go. Nice hearing it again.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Marcelyn and John, and thanks John for posting this one in the first place.
  21. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Nice job OS...as always!! Thanks for the kudos Marcelyn, Sausage, and Jamann. I actually put this up last October! Time to record another version!
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Come on, let's hear it then...l
  23. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    Great job, as usual, jamann! Rob and David you guys also sound pretty awesome. Makes me think that I better never post anything on this site. Y'all are hard acts to follow!!
  24. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks for the kind words, BG, although that's not really the point of view I'd hoped to foster. You won't improve by not doing stuff, and no-one will be judging you or your skills here. Post some video, I guarantee you'll enjoy it, and so will we
  25. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    I second OS's words, Blue Ghost! Don't ever let people that are good like Old Sausage intimidate you That's the beauty of this group. There is no judging, just music. The more participants, the better!

I know I've learned a lot from videoing me playing and I'm sure you would also. It really makes you look at what your hands are doing!
  26. jamann
    jamann
    Blue Ghost, Thanks but I also agree with OS and Rob. You'll definitely improve by getting involved and participating plus we need some more bluegrassers to get involved. I've never felt intimidated here. Actually, its quite the opposite, I'm always inspired here. This is a great bunch of folks here that all have the same love for the mandolin in common. Pretty cool!
    Get inspired and show yourself!
  27. JimRichter
    JimRichter
    If Dave Brubeck played Lonesome Moonlight Waltz, it might sound like this

28. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've been meaning to try my hand on this tune for a little while, but have only just got around to it. This version is one I found on ABC tunefinder. Played on my 1921 Gibson Ajr (which suits the Monroe sound quite well), at a rather slower tempo than it's usually heard.

X: 1
    T:Lonesome Moonlight Waltz
    O:Bluegrass
    B:from mandolin tablature by John Baldry
    N:http://www.btinternet.com/~john.bald...lt/moonlt.html
    Z:ABC by Moshe Braner
    R:waltz
    Q:1/4=110
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    K:F
    A2 |\
    "Dm"{c}d2-df (3dcA | {c}d2-df dc | "F"A2-Ac (3AGF | "Dm"[A,4F]-[A,F]A |
    "Dm"{c}d2-df (3dcA | {c}d2-df dA | "G"[G2B]-G^F "E7"G^G | "A"[A6^c] |
    "C"{B}c2-cc (3G^GA | {B}c2-c{^c}d GA/G/ | "F"F6-|F2 "F7"[A,F][A,F] [A,F][CF] ||
    "Bb"D4 (3DFG | F4 G2 | "F"A2-AF Ad | c4 A2 |
    "G"[G2B]-GG Bd | B[GB]-[G4B] | "C"[c2e]-[ce]c (3cec | "A7"[^c6e] |
    "C"{B}c2-cc (3G^GA | {B}c2-c{^c}d GA/G/ | "F"F2-FF (3{G}Acd | [A6f] ||

29. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That's a wonderful effort and you're right, the Gibson A Jr. sounds just right! Thanks for posting.
  30. Eddie Sheehy
    I've been meaning to try this one for a while and was inspired by Bruce Harvie's "Overhead at Darrington" album... Here it is on a McDonald Bouzouki and a Gibson A4 - rough at the start - trying to synch the audios...

31. Topher Gayle
    Topher Gayle
    I thought I had posted this tune somewhere on this forum but I couldn't find it. So I am posting it here. Hope it's not redundant! Anyway, it's David and me playing this lovely tune.

32. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    This one has given me fits for quite awhile. I decided today was the day that we were going to become friends. Here's what I have after about an hour of in depth study. I'll post again once it's polished up and really ready for public consumption.

33. Eddie Sheehy
    Great job Shaun. Is that the Gil?
    And I just noticed Jim Richter's Brubeck version above - amazing...
  34. Shanachie
    Shanachie

A lot of great versions on here. Nice work everyone. I love this tune so I thought I'd give it my best try.

Can anyone suggest some other minor bluegrassy tunes, besides Jerusalem Ridge?
  35. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Kentucky Mandolin springs to mind... nice playing on a nice sounding mandolin.
  36. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Nice job there! Some minor bluegrass tunes.......Cheyenne, Wayfaring Stranger, Cold Frosty Morning, Wakefield's Waltz in the Bluegrass is in F with a liberal dose of Gm, Kentucky Mandolin was already mentioned and is probably one that you'll hear a lot

Here's my go at it on the mandola

37. Shanachie
    Shanachie
    Thanks for the tune suggestions. I'll have to check some of them out.

It sounds good on the mandola. I love the sleeping dog in the background. He didn't wake up till the very end.
  38. Eddie Sheehy
    Redux on a Griffen Octave/Baritone Resonator Mandolin and a DarkStar Octave Mandolin

39. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Bump!
  40. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Just beautiful!
  41. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great to hear this tune brought back, Frank. Well up to your usual standard on melody and backing. Wistful as always!