Week 316 ~ The Kerry (jig)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Kerry (jig). There's also a The Kerry (reel) and a The Kerry (slide)..... I'm not familiar with this tune, but in researching it, I've fallen in love with it! I do love a good jig!

Here's a link to the tune on thesession.org There are two variations there, one in G and one in D.

Here's a link to variation in C on abcnotation.com from John Chambers music book.

Here are some videos to give you ideas....

2. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    First up? Probably means I should have practiced it more.
    Usual mandolin and bouzouki combination from me. Sorry managed to chop the bouzouki fretboard out of the picture.

3. crisscross
    crisscross
    I like both versions. The combination bouzouki/mandolin has something special.
    Nice mando sound David!
  4. Daniel Vance
    Daniel Vance
    Here is my version of Kerry Jig. Still working on finding the best way to add accompaniment and figuring out how to best accompany this sort of song on a mandolin.

5. gortnamona
    gortnamona

my timing is a bit iffy in parts but a very enjoyable jig to play
  6. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very enjoyable versions all gentlemen.
    I like this little jig a lot. It's definitely
    going in my IT tunes to learn.
    I've been working so hard to make DUDU
    to come naturally that I've stayed away
    from DUD DUD.
    Gary
  7. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    i have mixed feelings regarding dud dud, it certainly works well but for me its also a little like painting by numbers and takes a bit of individually away, before when i played everything dudu, i use to do most trebles starting with an up stroke, due to learning particular picking patterns for different tunes types, i've lost that abillity now, so while i think its a very handy tool to have, i wouldn't stick to it religiously and would try and keep an element of what comes natural to yourself.