Week #308 ~ Boston Boy

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  2. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Here is a rushed attempt at this old time tune forever remembered in the line from Monroe's 'Uncle Pen'.

3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    wow! Thanks for this excellent demonstration, Sasquatch, up the neck and everything.
  4. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    that right there...that's how it's played.
  5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Ok, here is my slow motion attempt.

6. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    Nice work manfred verry clean and well executed
    Sasquatch this song is right up ure Alley I enjoyed the playing up the neck

Seeing how I'm from Massachusetts this is one of the first Monroe tunes I learned from joe Carr's Play like a legend
    Anyway here is my go

7. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Nice work everybody. Love that Monroe influence Sasquatch.

8. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great work, Obiwan. Your Carr sounds definitely different from mine.

Sgarrity, this is probably the best piece I have heard from you here! And you have played many good ones. Just my humble opinion.
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Yep, Shaun, that sounds great. Love the pulse/shuffle you put into it. New recording setup? We can really hear the tone better and I like it!
  10. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    You bluegrass and Monroe boys really know how to play this. I love the energy and rhythm you put into it.

I read somewhere that the tune is the same as Take Me Back to Georgia which is a tune in the Fiddler's Fakebook so I looked that one up and had some fun with it. The chord progression is the same as Boston Boy but the similarity seems to stop about there as far as I can hear it. I didn't spend too much time on it so my timing gets off a bit but thought you might like to hear the Fiddler's Fakebook version.

11. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    That sounds good, wooden fingers. I like this version.
    I am neither a Monroe nor a Bluegrass boy , by the way. That's clearly the domain of all the others who have posted this tune here.
  12. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Manfred, you might not have quite hit the speeds that Tim, Obi, and Shaun hit but you definitely had the bluegrass rhythm and sound so I count you as a bluegrass boy . Mine sounds more like skipping through the park on a sunny day .
  13. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Thanks for the kind words everybody. Recording set up is my iPad camera and mic straight into iMovie. However, I am recording myself in the bathroom! LOL