I need You, Lord, I need You by Kingdom Bound

1. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Here is a clip of our band , Kingdom Bound. This was our 2nd outing. We haven't played a lot together so we have some work to do. Having fun though! I was not to pleased with my mando break here but I am my own worst critic.
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's great - that mando break was pretty awesome, nicely thought out, inventive, and good timing. You have really great articulation, on the break and on the fills too.

One thing I would think about is how much chopping you're doing in between chops. A lot of the time instead of just hearing

....chop....chop....chop... chop...

I'm hearing

ker-cha ker-cha chop... ker-cha ker-cha chop...

Less is more with those chops, especially when you're front and center on the mic. To my way of thinking, although a lot of pickers do it (and I do it myself all too often), it disrupts the band's drive. There are some places where it can be used, but as sparingly as possible.
  3. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    David, I agree on the chops. I tend to 'push' or 'drive' to much. Too busy I like to call it. Old habit that I am trying to break. In this case I was probably nervous and overcompensating for it. Less is ALWAYS more. Thank you sir! I am all for advice from seasoned pickers. Part of the growth process.
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great singing too!
  5. jonny250
    jonny250
    Really nice playing and singing all round! interesting and a useful point about the chops from OS there, defo would apply to me too.
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Sasquatch, your mandolin playing is super and right in line with what the late, great, Bill Monroe used to do. As for the chops, I don't think you are doing too much, it's that you are closest to the mic in this video and your backup isn't fading into the background as a result. I think it's great... right on time, and works well with the vocals and what the other instruments are doing! When you're singing lead and playing backup into one mic, try pointing the mandolin off to the side or maybe down a bit at the ground – when some else is taking a lead you can step well back or even behind the player who is taking the break. His body will block your mandolin from the mic. A trick I use when playing the chop backup behind my singing or another instrument's break is to damp the strings with the heel of my hand right after I play the chop. However, just doing chops all the time is really boring, so please don't over do it. Check out how Bill Monroe works the mic on this video...

7. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    that was a fine performance Sasquatch! I love your breaks, but you sing very well too..
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Nice, Tim! Kingdom Bound looks like a real enjoyable show to catch. I hope you post some more when y'all perform again.
  9. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Very nice indeed. Great vocals and excellent bluegrass sound. Wish I had your pipes.