Late Night at Kincraigie

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I heard this Ian Hardie tune on Kevin MacLeod's new CD "Highland Strands" and loved it. It is also on Ian Hardie's album "Westringing". I found no notation for it, but it's easy enough to learn by ear. It's in D major and starts with the high A.

2. justkaron
    justkaron
    REALLY like this tune, Bertram!
    Your playing isn't too bad either.

oh boy...back to work
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's very kindly said. Thanks Karon.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    P.S.
    Kevin directed me to where to get sheet music: http://www.ian-hardie.co.uk/scores/l...aigie.mscz.pdf
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I came back to this tune, introducing the McNally strumstick - the only instrument in the house made in the U.S. so far, adding to the old-timey character of this tune and making it more Transatlantic.

6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That's a great wee tune, Bertram. Missed it the first time you posted. The McNally drumstick looks interesting - is it fretted like a dulcimer?
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks John. A great wee (I like those Scottish linguistic multilevel crossings) tune it is, Old Time made in Scotland, truly transatlantic.
    The strumstick is tuned DAD and diatonically fretted; its relation to the dulcimer is quite close, in fact dulcimer players should be able to play it instantly. The sides of the body are extensions of the neck, bent outward. It is a very simple construction, hopelessly top-heavy, of course (no chance without a strap). And it is childlike fun to play.
  8. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Very cool. Never heard of your strumsticks before. Will have to keep my eye out for one...
  9. JLewis
    JLewis
    Thanks Bertram. I had to follow the link and get the sheet music for that one. By the way, the lady's lovely smile was a delightful postscript.
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Fun tune to listen to and it kind of stuck to my brain and now I can't get it out of my head...
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all, and kind regards from Regina.
  12. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Those instruments are really cool together. I love the sound of a dulcimer.
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Marcy.
    I didn't explicitly mention it, but the other tune embedded there is Mulqueen's
  14. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice recording folks, thanks for sharing. Bertram, you need to start from scratch though, your little finger is for fretting the 5th fret. Start learning to play a tune at a time using your little finger and in 4 weeks it'll be natural. dusty
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    If that little finger is good for anything, then it's for the 7th fret, because I am using violin/mandolin fingering. Sometimes I use it for the 7th, but not often.