Milford's Reel

1. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This is from Noam Pikelny's CD from a couple of years back "Beat The Devil And Carry A Rail". I think Jesse Cobb does the mandolin part on that, and I've just copied his parts here as closely as I could. One day I'll get a video of this up to speed, it sounds great a bit faster.

Here's the tab.
  2. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    That was Reel nice David.
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Just what I needed to get me going this morning! Thank you. I don't think this version needs improvement.
  4. jonny250
    jonny250
    very nice david, doesnt need to be much faster. i think i prefer it on the mandolin the way you played it.
  5. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    This is so nice David, you must have very good ears to turn a fast banjo tune into such a lovely mandolin arrangement..
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely playing and arrangement, David. Mandolin really suits the tune and especially at the tempo you have chosen. Speed is not everything and you have such a relaxed delivery here.
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's a really pretty arrangement. I liked the song so well, I went to look up the album. You're right, it does sound good as a faster tune too. I think it's equally great either way, but I'm sure you'll have it at whatever speed you want pretty soon.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very pastoral and smooth, proves that NP's tune is still good under a magnifying glass.
    From here on in, you'll be called The Amazing Slowdowner...
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice playing and your new mandolin has such a beautiful tone just right for this style. One of the keys to being able to play a tune really fast is to be able to play it really well at a slower tempo first. You've shown us how this process works on many occasions and I look forward to a future post when you get this tune right where you want it...
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks guys - yes, you're absolutely right Michael: it has some tricky features such as the triplets, and a couple of places where your finger has to lay over two sets of strings, so I need to get all of those things functioning smoothly before I can speed it up.