3 Turkish folksongs (mandolin duets)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    These are three Turkish folksongs, arranged as instrumental duets for two mandolins. Taken from an unknown (to me) Turkish mandolin method book, from a scan posted by Orkun Hicyilmaz over in the Celtic/European Folk forum:

Link

The songs are:

a. Pınar (A. Samim Bilgen)
    b. Rumeli'nin Dağları (traditional Turkish)
    c. Melodi (Saip Egüp)

Performed on two mandolins:

Mandolin 1: 1890s Umberto Ceccherini bowlback (right channel)
    Mandolin 2: Mid-Missouri M-0W (left channel)

These are really nice and simple duets for two mandolins, good to have to hand when playing with a friend. Nothing complicated or sophisticated here, but the two voices go together very well, are enjoyable to play and provide a glimpse into a different style of music from the normal mainstream of mandolin playing.

Martin
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Martin, your productions are downright professional. It's fun to hear all the various styles you delve into. Where do you find the time?
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Marcelyn. It's mainly that recording is my way of structured practicing -- I set an hour aside every evening before going to bed and I try to practice and record a new piece in that time. It's pretty much the only regular playing time I get, so I want to make good use of it. I find that setting a goal for myself prevents the precious practice time from drifting into aimless noodling or not knowing what to do next, and having the recording means I can listen back to my old recordings later and get an idea of what works well, what doesn't work and what needs improving.

Martin
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's a great use of practice time. The effort you're putting in really shows up in your playing--and we get to reap the rewards too.