Three Klezmer tunes (Bulgar Frailach, Nign, Yablochko)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've come across a nice collection of klezmer sheet music, with matching MP3/streaming audio files for most tunes. It's at:

Link

(Link is for Bulgar Frailach, with links to about 20 other klezmer tunes from that page).

The example recordings tend to be with guitar and violin and various other backing instruments, but the transcriptions work just fine for mandolin. Here are three of them:

1. Bulgar Frailach (or Freilach, or Freylakh):

2. Nign:

3. Yablochko:

All fairly straightforward tune, but very enjoyable!

Martin
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Beautiful, Martin. I love the tremelo. Your playlist is so eclectic.
  3. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    As many different kinds of mandolins as Martin owns, guess it's no surprise he doesn't play just one or two styles of music. It's got to be fun to mix-n-match.

Particularly nicely played version Bulgar Frailach there, Martin.

Have you seen the book of duos by Deborah Greenblatt titled something like "Klezmer Fiddle Tunes for Two Mandolins"? I have a copy but have not delved into it much so far.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for the comments, Marcelyn and Brent. I do enjoy exploring various genres, although I'm really just dabbling in them -- the difficult bit is always to get not just the notes but also the feel of each genre, and my success rate in that respect is somewhat variable.

Brett: I don't know the Greenblatt book -- looks interesting on their website, and duos plus guitar can be worked up quite nicely with our small mando ensemble, but it'll cost another $10 postage to the UK on top of the $15 for the book, which is just a bit too steep. There doesn't seem to be a downloadable PDF version one can buy.

Martin