The Black Bear

1. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    It is traditional when playing this piece to shout "Oi" really loudly at the beginning of the 4th bar to frighten off any black bears in the vicinity. Unfortunately my clip on mike won't pick up any vocal sounds so you'll have to do the shouting yourselves. (Sorry about the false start- forgot to edit it out.)

2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Nice playing. I like that tune a lot. Where is it from, and do you happen to have the ABC?
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    X:1

T:Black Bear, The

L:1/8

M:2/4

K:D

(3A/B/c/|dd f/>d/a/>f/|dd f/>d/a/>f/|eB Be/d/|c/<d/B/c/ A/>B/ c/<A/|

dd f/>da/>f|dd f/>da/>f|e>e e/<g/f/<e/|df d:|

|:e|A/>A/A/>B/ dd/>e/|gf/>e/ f/<a/f/<d/|A/>A/A/>A/ dd/>e/|gf/>e/ f/<af/<d/|

a/<A/A/<A/ c/<A/A/<A/|d/>B/ B/<B/ e/>c/ c/<c/|d/>f/d/>f/ e/>g/e/>g/|a/>Aa a/>g/f/>e/||
  4. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Marcelyn, it is a famous regimental march which I generally associate with the Scottish regiment The Black Watch which were formed after the 2nd Jacobite rising of 1745, in fact I believe after the defeat of the Jacobite forces at Culloden Moor in 1746 - the last battle fought in mainland Britain. The regiment, whose traditional home is in Perthshire, was raised by the British government to help maintain the law in the wilder parts of the Highlands of Scotland and has had a tremendous military history since then, though now sadly our individual Scottish regiments have been amalgamated into the Royal Regiment of Scotland and their individual traditions have been much eroded.
    the tune became famous when it was used as the theme tune in a film called Tunes of Glory, a film which depicted the passing of traditions within a Scottish regiment of the British Army.
  6. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Those were some serious Soldiers. Ran into The Black Watch Regiment in Gibraltar where they were guarding the then-closed and locked gates into Spain in 1968. All business, let me tell you. Of course when off duty....hehe.
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's facinating background. I'll definitely have to learn it now.
  8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Thanks for the comment, the abc and the historical background. "Tunes of Glory" - Alec Guiness and John Mills in Stirling Castle wasnt it? But that film was not the inspiration for learning the tune, rather seeing it played on tv at the trooping the colour a week or two ago.
  9. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff maudlin, maybe we should do this with the group? Here's an alternative abc without the Highland Pipe ornamentation:

X:1
    T: Black Bear, The
    B: Scots Guards v.1 p.8 #12
    R: march
    Z: John Chambers <jc:trillian.mit.edu>
    M: C|
    L: 1/8
    K:D
    AB !segno!| "D"d2d2 fdaf | "Bm"d2d2 fdaf | "Em"e2B2 "E7"B2ed | "A7"cdBc ABcA || "D"d2d2 fdaf |
    | "Bm"d2d2 fdaf | "Em"e2e2 "A7"egfe | "D"d2f2 "fine"d2 :| e2 | "A7"A2AB "D"d2de | "A7"g2fe "D"fafd | "A7"A2AB "D"d2de |
    | "A7"g2fe "D"fafd || "A"aAAA cAAA | "E7"dBBB "A"eccc | "D"dfdf "Em"egfg | "A7"a2a2 agfe !dc al segno!|]

John, you sold the film to me, I just ordered it from Amazon.....bargain!
  10. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I used to play that one when I drummed for a local pipe band. I also had the pleasure of shouting the Oi's Good times! Thanks for reminding me of that tune.