The Glasgow Reel

1. Eddie Sheehy
    AKA Tam Lin. Played on a 1919 Vega 10-string Mandolute 305. Played in Dmin.

2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, there have been so many cool songs posted this week. If I learn this one, it may be a record. I like the eerie mood you put in the tune and that's a really fun sounding instrument. Thanks for digging up all these great songs.
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's the ABC from TheSession.org:

X: 1
    T: Glasgow, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Dmin
    A,2DA, FA,DA,|B,2DB, FB,DB,|C2EC GCEC|FEDC A,DDC|
    A,2DA, FA,DA,|B,2DB, FB,DB,|C2EC GCEC|FEDC A,DD2:|
    |:dA~A2 FADA|dA~A2 FADA|cG~G2 EG~G2|cG~G2 cdec|
    dA~A2 FADA|dA~A2 FADA,|~B,3A, B,CDE|FDEC A,DD2:|

I found it easier to get the "feel" of it by slurring the the notes at the start instead of playing them individually...
  4. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Very nice Eddie! I've been struggling with the B-part, mostly 'cuz I've heard about 3 different versions of it. I guess I should settle on one and post this.
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I've got the A part, but that B part in the ABC doesn't seem to be what I'm hearing you play. I like yours better though. If you ever have a spare minute, maybe you'd consider posting a slow, play along version?
  6. Tony Avitua
    Tony Avitua
    Cool Eddie! By the way, I see your dog stayed at still in your video, as Marcelyn's dog does in her videos...jeje!
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    Slower on mandolin...

8. Eddie Sheehy
    Slower on Bouzouki - GGDDAAEE...

9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's awesome! Thanks so much.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff Eddie!
  11. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Originally known as Tam Lin after the well known ballad, it became known as The Glasgow when two musicians from that town went to Ireland and played it a lot.
  12. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Well done. I've been working on that tune for 3 months. I really like it but I'm not there yet. My Grandmother came from Glasgow.
  13. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Delightful; what a great tune. I like Eddie's curly friend listening so intently!
  14. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Okay, so I didn't settle on a B-part, but here it is anyway. Not the most polished video, as it's my son testing out his new camcorder while dad's banging away, but as I note, I'm shameless, so here it is:

It's been a while, so I hope I remember how to do this post and embed thing...
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    CelticDude.... A+++ on every point! Excellent playing; great videoing.... perfect embed!
  16. Eddie Sheehy
    Great job Dana. I like the "B" variations.
  17. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    This is a fun tune that I'm still trying to learn. We play it in our Celtic group and usually try to keep it slower for some to get in the triplets. This is my first attempt at trying the triplets. I must have done 50 retakes and still couldn't get them right. So this is my best effort until I get more experience under my belt.
    I'm playing this on my Breedlove OF Quartz mandolin.

Here's the abc notation that I'm playing from

X:1
    T:Tam Lin
    C:
    L:1/8
    Q:350
    M:4/4
    K:F
    z8 |: A,D D/z/8E/z/8D3/4 CD EC | B,2 DB, FB, DB, | C2 EC GC EC | FE DC DE DC | A,D D/z/8E/z/8D3/4 CD EC | \
    B,2 DB, FB, DB, | C2 EC GC EC | FE DC A,D D2 :|3 dA A2 FA DA | dA A2 fe d=B | cG G/z/8G/z/8G3/4 dG G/z/8G/z/8G3/4 | \
    =Bc c2 dc Ac | dA A2 FA DA | dA A2 FA DA, | B,2 B,A, B,C DE | FD GF ED D2 :| \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/

Jim
  18. Daci
    Daci
    I really like everyone's versions of this. Very nice indeed.
  19. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Bump
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This tune is now an official tune of the week! Here's the link to that discussion!