Thread: Shopping experiences bad and good

Blog Entries

Default Shopping experiences bad and good

I have a 20 percent off coupon for orders of $49 and up from a major chain, which shall remain nameless, that has a presence both on the web and with local stores. The only hitch with the coupon is orders have to be placed by telephone.

So I dialed up, went through the automated phone tree (for guitars press 1, for drums press ...), and was on hold for about five minutes waiting for the next rep, entertained by what sounded like somebody jamming on a Les Paul through a Marshall. The rep was friendly but he couldn't get my coupon number to work. He disappeared for a few minutes (more Richie Blackmore riffing), then came back and say me his supervisor told him to try entering it as a 15 percent off coupon, then manually add 5 percent, and to get help from one of their IT people if that wouldn't work. I would get my 20 percent off, the rep assured me, so not to worry. Then he disconnected me.

I went to the JustStrings website. I have no affiliation to them whatsoever. J74s are $4.61 as opposed to $6.39 at the discounter where, with the 20 percent off, 10 sets would have set me back $51.12 vs. $46.10 at JustStrings.

Enough said.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

2. The following members say thank you to Mike Romkey for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Shopping experiences bad and good

Did the website have sweet Les Paul jamming through a Marshall stack?
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

4. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I did a site search many years ago for online instrument string vendors. Just Strings had the lowest overall prices then. They do have a hefty shipping and handling fee but when multiple sets of strings are ordered the per set cost remains below what is locally charged. Not to mention the available variety of brands and types. Occasionally one of the big retailers offers a particular string set at a lower cost. But not all the different varieties I need go onsale concurrently. So Just strings has remained my go to vendor. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Juststrings seems like a great company. But often Elderly meets or beats them on price especially if you buy multiple sets.

My list of positive buying experiences online in no particular order: Elderly The Mandolin Store Stew Mac International Violin. All good folk and places I would recommend.

I have dealt with the unnamed national retailer and had both good and bad experiences. Enough good ones to keep me coming back. But those discount coupons are enough to drive you crazy. They are good on anything in the store except Martin Fender Gibson and about 200 other brands that choose not to participate. In other words just about anything you would actually want. At one point in a town where I used to live I built a personal relationship with one of the assistant managers. They have the freedon to discount and my friend would give me 10 percent off anything and sometimes 15 percent if it was a slow month. Anything good brands included. 15 percent off a Les Paul is not chump change. But sadly I no longer have that. And I dont know if they still have that freedom. Things have changed there through the years.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I have been buying from juststrings.com for a long time but also buy from Elderly esp when I can meet their $49 minimum for free shipping. I have also bought from Strings and Beyond. I think their overall price is higher on some sets but at the moment they have free shipping to US and Canada. I shop around.

There are also some strings I like which not available from most other dealers like Dogal Calace strings so I get them from Bernunzio, who I also believe has free shipping on string only orders.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

With free shipping on orders over $35, Strings and Beyond is a better deal even than Just Strings for 10 sets: $49.95, as opposed to $46.10 + $6.95 = $53.05 from JustStrings. $52 from Elderly.

At Guitar Center, that would cost you $63.90 + tax and/or shipping, but they do offer to "beat any competitor's price", so you might try taking a print out from Elderly with you and haggling in the store, if you have that sort of sense of humor.

Yours helpfully

Mr Cheap.

Just a note. 20% off and 15% off + 5% off are not equal.
    If you purchase a $100 item at %20 off you save $20.00 (100*.20 = 20). If you purchase that same item at 15% off + 5% off you save $19.25 instead (100*.15 =15, 100-15 = 85. 85*.05 =4.25. 15+4.25=19.25)
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    Just a note. 20% off and 15% off + 5% off are not equal.
    If you purchase a $100 item at %20 off you save $20.00 (100*.20 = 20). If you purchase that same item at 15% off + 5% off you save $19.25 instead (100*.15 =15, 100-15 = 85. 85*.05 =4.25. 15+4.25=19.25)
    Bill: I am not doubting your math but what are these numbers and what seller are you referring to? Who is giving 15% then 5% and why?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Except for the strings for my 7-string acoustic archtop guitar i use Juststrings. If i call in the morning i have them in my mailbox the following morning. (Southern NH to the NEK of Vermont.) They get all ten thumbs up from me.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Bill: I am not doubting your math but what are these numbers and what seller are you referring to? Who is giving 15% then 5% and why?
    He's talking about the details from Mike's opening post, and the seller is a large chain that probably rhymes with "Sitar Denter".

rhymes with "Sitar Denter".

hahah, I hate when my Sitar gets dented!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Jim, the OP had a 20% off coupon that they could or would not honor. They said instead they would give him 15% off and then 5% off. I was just pointing out that while it sounded like he would get his 20% off it would actually fall a bit short.
    I guess it is a mute point since he purchased elsewhere.
    Bill Snyder

You are right, I missed that part.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Known Stan at Elderly since about 1974, when the relationship ain't broke...don't go courtin disappointment.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett