Thread: ADGAD tuning?

Default ADGAD tuning?

Hello everybody

I'm thinking about getting a 5 course Cittern/IB/OM for trying ADGAD tuning.
    That would be a reduced DADGAD tuning for guitars I am more or less familiar with. It should be possible to adopt some of my guitar repertoire without rearranging it for GDAD or GDAE that I use with my OMs. Even to cope with a long scale fretboard shouldn't be a problem with that tuning.

Has anyone here any experience with that tuning? I would be very interested in your opinions.

(Sorry for my poor English)
    Last edited by scifi; Oct-10-2013 at 6:07am.

Default Re: ADGAD tuning?

I think the 2nd in the tuning would be less than advantageous. And having an A in the bass would be limiting. Why not DADAD?

Quote Originally Posted by zoukboy View Post
    I think the 2nd in the tuning would be less than advantageous. And having an A in the bass would be limiting. Why not DADAD?
    I have to admit that the G in ADGAD would not make live very easy. But I should be used to it from the guitar. And I'm not sure if the A in the bass is more confusing than the G in GDAD?
    OK, DADAD could be an alternative. I should spend some more thoughts on that. Maybe I should try these tunings on a guitar first and remove the sixth string for a better simulation.

Difficult as always. This remembers me of the time when I started to find the right string gauge for my first OM.....

Quote Originally Posted by scifi View Post
    I have to admit that the G in ADGAD would not make live very easy. But I should be used to it from the guitar. And I'm not sure if the A in the bass is more confusing than the G in GDAD?
    Well, I don't think the G in GDAD is confusing at all.

I would approach it as a new instrument with a new tuning and learn new material on it rather than trying to carry over some subset of knowledge from the guitar. I think that sort of carrying-over actually creates confusion. Learning a new instrument in a new tuning with new repertoire will help you integrate it much quicker and with less frustration.

With regard to the tuning - a lot will depend on the scale length of the 5 course instrument you end up getting. D2A2D3A3D4 on a shorter scale might not work very well. The same set of intervals up a 4th at G2D2G3D4G4 is a great tuning for a lot of music and it tends to work well on the shorter scale lengths.

Good luck! :-)

I have tried several different tunings on a 10 sting cittern over the last days.
    First I tried ADGBH as for an baroque guitar and found it disappointing. The Instrument sounded like a castrated 12 string guitar.
    After that I tried ADGAD what worked better in my ears. But I didn't find any advantage over GDAD and ADAD that I have on my OMs.
    Then I tried several other variations but those all didn't make much sense to me in the end.

It seems that I will just stay with my OMs (and be happy)

@zoukboy: you were right ;-)

6. The following members say thank you to scifi for this post: